JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You cannot beat Grant County
Good news, if it's improved. I originally was issued an OR carry permit through the Grant County Sheriff's office, probably 9 or 10 years ago. When it expired, I tried to renew (totally clean record, have a WA carry permit) and was told they stopped doing renewals for adjoining state residents. That was about 5 yrs. ago.

Fortunately, I'm also a property owner in Deschutes and had zero problems getting one there.

OUT OF STATE APPLICANT: I currently live in a contiguous state and am applying as an out of state applicant.

All out of state new applicants and renewals must include a statement of compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need which exhibits a correlation to Sherman County.
Prove that you need to defend yourself.

Guys its not rocket science, yes its tempting to just put "self defense" or "2nd Amendment", but spend the extra 30 seconds and make it easy for them to approve. Sherman County example.

1. Make appointment gather materials.
2. Visit any local park in the county day of appointment now that you have made the drive (there are lots) and are pretty neat.
3. Compelling reason, "I enjoy X park in Sherman County and endeavor to return in the future (there's your compelling reason tied to the local area). I would like to lawfully carry a firearm for self defense purposes while doing so and visiting Oregon and your county in the future."
4. Permit is mailed to you.

I teach the Utah and Oregon classes...use Sherman County.

Call the Sheriff's Office in Moro, talk to Julie, tell her I sent you and all will be fine.

If you make the trip, let me know and we can meet and do the coffee thing.

I live in Cowlitz County Washington and made an appointment at the Columbia County Sheriff's office back in June. My appointment date is this Thursday Dec. 16th (finally). They require a letter to the sheriff with a compelling reason as stated above. I too travel OR Hwy 30 from time to time to pick up materials and supplies for my construction business.

If you're planning on using the Columbia County sheriff's office, my advice would be to get on the phone tomorrow and set the appointment. You'll have plenty of time to take the class and write the letter.

Wish me luck!
Well, after a good half year of waiting, my Oregon CHL showed up in my mailbox today!:s0115: I would recommend Columbia County Sheriff's Office to any Washingtonian looking to carry legally in Oregon. The wait time for the appointment was a little much but Im stoked the wait is over.

Any border county to Washington can issue a carry permit for you. I believe, trust guy verify as they may have changed this, you can still get your safety course online. I would avoid MultCo like the plague.
+1 there It took over 6 months from submitting my firm to receiving my permit.

I got mine through Multnomah County
Took 100 days from their receiving my app to the photo/fingerprinting day. As I walked up to the Sheriff's office I took a picture of their boarded up windows just in case they asked why I wanted/needed a permit. They never asked and I got my permit 55 days later.
What did you put for the reason you needed one? I'd like to put none of your business but I'm not sure that's what they're looking for.
Who did you put for you character references? That seems like a barrier to getting approved. I don't think I know anybody that lives in Multnomah county.

What did you put for the reason you needed one? I'd like to put none of your business but I'm not sure that's what they're looking for.
Who did you put for you character references? That seems like a barrier to getting approved. I don't think I know anybody that lives in Multnomah county.
Just say that you travel into Oregon regularly.
Your references don't have to be in Multnomah county.

I did Multnomah County as I'm in the Seattle area. I chose an appointment date which coincided with travel to Oregon which was a few months out and on a Friday. Listed my reason as frequent visits to Oregon for family, travel and business. And chose references that are like minded. Once I completed my appointment for pic and prints I received the permit within two weeks.

The same questions are asked regardless of where you apply. It is the exact same application form.

It's not a big deal at all. Frequent travel to Oregon works perfectly as a reason.

References, just choose some non-felon friends. They rarely if ever contact references.

Lately Mulnomah has been issuing in 6 to 8 weeks from application. I'm not sure how far out they are for application appointment in general but I know if two folks who recently got their appointment in about 4 weeks.

The same questions are asked regardless of where you apply. It is the exact same application form.

It's not a big deal at all. Frequent travel to Oregon works perfectly as a reason.

References, just choose some non-felon friends. They rarely if ever contact references.

Lately Mulnomah has been issuing in 6 to 8 weeks from application. I'm not sure how far out they are for application appointment in general but I know if two folks who recently got their appointment in about 4 weeks.
Just a side note I initially applied in Washington county, here was their response "Your description for requesting a Washington County CHL does not meet our requirements for out-of-state applicants. To qualify you must have a compelling need to come to Washington County on some sort of regular basis."

How long ago did you apply?

Oregon has been issuing permits to non-resident folks for at least 3-4 years that I'm aware...as that's about the time I started teaching the Utah/Oregon permit classes.

Currently have WA carry permet, last time I tried to apply in OR, they wouldn't issue to permanent resident people. Still same?
Never heard of anything like this.
I've seen where some OR counties won't issue if you are not a county resident.

I'm WA and have WA concealed, OR concealed and UT concealed.
Figure out which counties are "concealed friendly" and get your concealed permit.

Just a side note I initially applied in Washington county ...
Washington County has always been very UNfriendly regarding the issuance on non-resident permits. Multnomah County is the opposite, which is why you will almost universally hear Multnomah recommended over the other Orrgon counties.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top