JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know WHY the officer opened fire?

Probably since the person refused to comply with a lawful order to stop what he was doing, and that he presented a continuing lethal threat (vehicle) to the LEO present and should he not be able to be contained, that threat would then escalate to the general public and that would be unacceptable.

But I do have concerns that SWAT teams often seem to me to be over used in serving warrants, I get why they do it, but it just seems to often escalate and get out of hand.

Not an LEO myself, one in the family, and my boys smashed more than a few doors in Afghanistan and Iraq and overwhelming force keeps you alive.

Probably since the person refused to comply with a lawful order to stop what he was doing, and that he presented a continuing lethal threat (vehicle) to the LEO present and should he not be able to be contained, that threat would then escalate to the general public and that would be unacceptable.

My question is really for the naysayers to answer....

My guess is he was aiming his rifle.....

My question is really for the naysayers to answer....

My guess is he was aiming his rifle.....

He had been chased around the area by a whole sh*t ton of deputies and he had ample opportunity to stop what he was doing and give himself up. He was using a vehicle as an offensive weapon and had already fired at the officers. At that point he gave up any expectation that he was going to come out of that alive unless he gave himself up.

The deputy did what he was trained to do, and instructed to do from someone at a higher level. If some one is coming after my coworkers / brothers/ associates lethally, I would do exactly the same thing.

Their job isn't getting any easier either.

Thank you Obama and if I had a son he would be like Travon Martin A CHICAGO STYLE THUG with tatoos on his face a total gang banger ,allowing a terroist group in the white house (black lives matter) always siding with the criminal ,never telling the crooks this is wrong but telling the cops they are all racist ya thanks OBUMMER I blame you (THE WORST PRESIDENT EVER)

January 18, 2018 -- The inter-agency Washington County Major Crimes Team continues to investigate the fatal officer-involved shooting that occurred north of Sherwood on Friday.

Initial reports to dispatch were that Mr. Sabbe was acting erratically. Witnesses reported hearing shots fired in the area prior to law enforcement arrival. A Sherwood Police officer initially attempted to contact Mr. Sabbe from the roadway, but Mr. Sabbe drove away and crashed his truck into a tree. The Sherwood officer heard gunshots and then saw Mr. Sabbe carrying a rifle.

Tactical responders were called in and first responders set up an expansive perimeter in the interest of public safety. Officers closed the heavily-traveled Southwest Roy Rogers Road and other surrounding arterial streets. Law enforcement attempts to establish phone communication with Mr. Sabbe were unsuccessful.

At approximately 3:30 p.m., members of the inter-agency Tactical Negotiations Team (TNT) attempted to contact Mr. Sabbe in his vehicle. Mr. Sabbe drove away from tactical officers and a Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) maneuver was conducted on his vehicle. At one point, Mr. Sabbe started to exit his vehicle with an AR-15 rifle still in his lap.

From inside the truck's cab, Mr. Sabbe turned towards tactical officers and pointed the rifle at them. Tactical officers then fired upon Mr. Sabbe.

TNT members, including embedded tactical combat medics, attempted lifesaving measures,
but Mr. Sabbe was pronounced deceased at the scene. A loaded AR-15 rifle was recovered from inside the truck.

The involved personnel who discharged their firearms are being identified as Deputy Earl Brown, who has been employed with the Sheriff's Office since 2008, and Corporal Cade Edwards, employed since 2003.

No additional information is available for release at this time.

But I do have concerns that SWAT teams often seem to me to be over used in serving warrants, I get why they do it, but it just seems to often escalate and get out of hand.

Just seems like human nature that when you train hard in tactics and with cool tools that you may be a bit over zealous when it comes time to employ them. But that's just me speculating.

We usually serve our own warrants. There is a process to each type of warrant service. On some days, the Sheriff might have a patrol commander pull 20 or 30 arrest warrants for people failing to pay fines or failing to appear in court. We split them up between us and go out in pairs and do knock and talks at the last known addresses. This might only yield a few arrests and there is usually a judge on standby to get people booked and arraigned. They are usually issued a court date and released.

If we have a search warrant, we get a group of guys and come up with a safety plan with everyone involved and their roles, any info about the layout of the house and who is in it. Past calls and expected parties at the home will help determine how big things get. That gets submitted and ammended until its approved. Before we head out, we notify the assigned ER that they are on standby. Sometimes an announcement is made, sometimes not. This results in at least one arrest, if not more. Lots of seized evidence, and some minor damage which is usually paid for. This is often mistaken for a SWAT raid.

A true SWAT entry is done when subjects are known to be armed. This takes some mobilization because most departments dont have their own team. Many SWAT teams are regional/multi-agency. They will brief the situation and what tools and implements will be used. Everyone has a role and sticks to it. Knowledge of who and what determines the entry style.

Entries, SWAT or not, require lots of people to avoid giving back ground you've cleared. It keeps a flow so you dont have to worry about what comes in from outside or out of somewhere behind you. Its often preferable to call people out and direct them to you, but its not always possible.

I'm not, and have never been on a SWAT/SERT team, but I've done lots of entries and someone almost always talks about the SWAT raid that happened where we were just at.

January 18, 2018 -- The inter-agency Washington County Major Crimes Team continues to investigate the fatal officer-involved shooting that occurred north of Sherwood on Friday.

Initial reports to dispatch were that Mr. Sabbe was acting erratically. Witnesses reported hearing shots fired in the area prior to law enforcement arrival. A Sherwood Police officer initially attempted to contact Mr. Sabbe from the roadway, but Mr. Sabbe drove away and crashed his truck into a tree. The Sherwood officer heard gunshots and then saw Mr. Sabbe carrying a rifle.

Tactical responders were called in and first responders set up an expansive perimeter in the interest of public safety. Officers closed the heavily-traveled Southwest Roy Rogers Road and other surrounding arterial streets. Law enforcement attempts to establish phone communication with Mr. Sabbe were unsuccessful.

At approximately 3:30 p.m., members of the inter-agency Tactical Negotiations Team (TNT) attempted to contact Mr. Sabbe in his vehicle. Mr. Sabbe drove away from tactical officers and a Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT) maneuver was conducted on his vehicle. At one point, Mr. Sabbe started to exit his vehicle with an AR-15 rifle still in his lap.

From inside the truck's cab, Mr. Sabbe turned towards tactical officers and pointed the rifle at them. Tactical officers then fired upon Mr. Sabbe.

TNT members, including embedded tactical combat medics, attempted lifesaving measures,
but Mr. Sabbe was pronounced deceased at the scene. A loaded AR-15 rifle was recovered from inside the truck.

The involved personnel who discharged their firearms are being identified as Deputy Earl Brown, who has been employed with the Sheriff's Office since 2008, and Corporal Cade Edwards, employed since 2003.

No additional information is available for release at this time.

Link? Source?

If this is true, what we have here is a few gun owners who dont know anything about what it takes to arrest an armed man, and yet demanding that officers expose themselves to death just to arrest the guy so they dont appear to be militarized.

We usually serve our own warrants. There is a process to each type of warrant service. On some days, the Sheriff might have a patrol commander pull 20 or 30 arrest warrants for people failing to pay fines or failing to appear in court. We split them up between us and go out in pairs and do knock and talks at the last known addresses. This might only yield a few arrests and there is usually a judge on standby to get people booked and arraigned. They are usually issued a court date and released.

If we have a search warrant, we get a group of guys and come up with a safety plan with everyone involved and their roles, any info about the layout of the house and who is in it. Past calls and expected parties at the home will help determine how big things get. That gets submitted and ammended until its approved. Before we head out, we notify the assigned ER that they are on standby. Sometimes an announcement is made, sometimes not. This results in at least one arrest, if not more. Lots of seized evidence, and some minor damage which is usually paid for. This is often mistaken for a SWAT raid.

A true SWAT entry is done when subjects are known to be armed. This takes some mobilization because most departments dont have their own team. Many SWAT teams are regional/multi-agency. They will brief the situation and what tools and implements will be used. Everyone has a role and sticks to it. Knowledge of who and what determines the entry style.

Entries, SWAT or not, require lots of people to avoid giving back ground you've cleared. It keeps a flow so you dont have to worry about what comes in from outside or out of somewhere behind you. Its often preferable to call people out and direct them to you, but its not always possible.

I'm not, and have never been on a SWAT/SERT team, but I've done lots of entries and someone almost always talks about the SWAT raid that happened where we were just at.

================================

Thank you for your well stated reply, it truly gives me some more to think on and certainly allays most of my concerns.

What a great thing it is to have you speak up, and so plainly.

I wish more people could have the opportunity to have this type of conversation.

================================

Thank you for your well stated reply, it truly gives me some more to think on and certainly allays most of my concerns.

What a great thing it is to have you speak up, and so plainly.

I wish more people could have the opportunity to have this type of conversation.

A good rule of thumb is helmets and kneepads. If there are helmets and kneepads, its going down.

AR15-vs-Armored-police-tank.jpg

Records show Sabbe has been cited for DUII multiple times in the past, including arrests in 2006 and 2014 in Washington County, as well as violations in Multnomah and Linn counties.

My question is, why is he free, out driving around? With that kind of record he should be doing serious time behind bars. If this had not taken place, it was only a matter of time until he killed some one on the road.

I hardly ever erase what I post...And I am not really worried 'bout erasing my post #296
But on the other side of coin....I ain't afraid of saying when I was wrong either.
I still do not understand the comparison in the meme.
Andy

I was referring to my post # 289
I still do not think that I said anything wrong in my other posts...but I did erase them 'casue there was no further use in me , continuing my part of the discussion.

On that note What are you trying to ask or say to me with your comments?
Just asking as much can be lost in electronic communication...and wanting to make sure that I understand what you are saying to me....
Andy
I didn't realize You thought you said something wrong, I was under the belief that you were tired of being questioned/harassed

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top