Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Washing State sales tax

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by gerksguns, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gerksguns

gerksguns Walla Walla Wa New Member

I just recieved notice that sales tax is to be collected on interstate transfers of firearms.
    According to the notice I recieved tax is to be charged on the total price of the firearm including freight and insurance.
    I am an FFL and this is new to me, does anyone have feedback.
    If I am correct this sucks!!!!!!!!

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

There's a long thread on this, already.. I don't have the link but I'm sure someone will post it

Yes if I remember right WA State is now threatening FFLs that they have to collect tax on ALL interstate transfers, even gifts/trades

Only good news I can see from this..I predict this will greatly increase the sales of stripped AR lowers

3. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

4. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

Only on gifts if it cannot be shown that the previous owner did not pay sales or use tax on the firearm when they bought it.

I buy my Ar lowers in a shop because I want to see and touch the one I am buying.

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Yep: a couple of years ago a local shop got hit with this. The owner had to pay the uncollected taxes out of his pocket. This interpretation of the law is NOT new, it's been in place for something like five years. The old DOR webpage had the posting date on it and it was older than most realize. The page linked above is fairly new but I wish they had left the old date in place so people would realize how old it really is.

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
    80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member
    Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

yes, it is true, the tax is there, it has to be paid, nothing new in the requirement, just that the department of revenue is enforcing it now. They aren't stopping people shopping in Orygun as they come across the bridge for an inspection (yet) but you are legally s'posed to pay sales tax on what you buy out of state all the time.

7. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Washington tried that once and almost started a border war! They were watching Washingtonians load their cars with stuff at Jantzen Beach Mall, following them across the river and putting the squeeze on them. The Oregon Attorney General threatened action if they didn't stop. Two thirds of the cars in the mall lot have Washington plates, not hard to see that people are trying to save a buck. Funny thing is that Oregonians can show ID in Washington and not pay sales tax. Go figure! Gary

8. gunslinger1911

gunslinger1911 WA state Member

i just had a trade transfer done with C&C (vancouver) and the Gun Broker (portland) and was not charged sales tax because there is no "purchase price" to collect tax on...however if i was buying then tax would have been collected on the "purchase price" not the assesed value of the firearm...

9. Dieselfuel12v

Dieselfuel12v Bellingham Member

I like my FFL, that's all I can say.

10. smurf hunter

smurf hunter Auburn, WA Active Member

As a consumer, here's what I don't understand...

I buy a complete high end AR-15 with a various match grade accessories for $2000 from out of state and have it shipped to my neighborhood FFL.
    WA sales tax on that is nearly $200. According to the law I must pay that at time of transfer.

Knowing this, why wouldn't I only send the lower (stripped or complete) to the FFL, and send the upper+accessories via UPS ground to my home?
    I might waste a little on shipping, but I'm saving $180 in sales tax if I only send a lower receiver to the FFL.

I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be illegal, as I can order an upper receiver from a variety of out of state merchants and pay no sales tax today.

11. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

This would be illegal, because you are supposed to pay WA State taxes on the upper. (Sales tax if bought in WA, USE tax if bought out of state and then brought to WA). See here: Do you owe use tax?

12. Blitzkrieg

~~~

13. Blitzkrieg

If they do try that I predict that small boats with trailers will be hot items

14. Blitzkrieg

This is what the wise buyer will do now that WA State is selectively enforcing the revenue collection on FFLs

15. Blitzkrieg

Get real.. no consumer in their right mind pays that tax

16. CarlMc

CarlMc Safely north of Seattle Active Member

I had a couple weapons transferred via my local FFL and if they're just doing the transfer, have no way of knowing what the actual purchase price is, but base the tax solely on what you tell them it is. My memory was rusty when I was trying to recall exactly what I paid, so I may have understated the price of the firearms. My memory might even be rustier next time.

17. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

I didn't say the person should pay the tax, I only mentioned that it is illegal. I'll bet that there ARE consumers in their right mind who DO pay the tax .. but very few of them.

18. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

true, but the point is that we are supposed to do so...

19. Blitzkrieg

Um, yeah :angeldevil:

20. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Years ago I went to the local DOR office and asked about paying the tax owed on a washer we bought in OR. They were surprised and it took them a while to even find the forms!

But I do wish you guys would quit discussing ways to cheat the state, my retirement pay depends on people paying what is owed to the state!!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members
    80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    Washington Arms Collector member
    Arms Collectors of South West Washington member