JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HB 2118 has passed, awaiting the Governor's signature. Once signed, HB 2118 takes effect on July 1, 2025. A link to the final language is below.

Section 1 (3) from the final language:
No dealer may sell or otherwise transfer, or expose for sale 17 or transfer, or have in his or her possession with intent to sell, or 18 otherwise transfer, any ammunition without being licensed as provided in this section.

Me thinks this is going to impact ammo sales in WA State - both small shops in WA State, and out-of-state shops (such as found on https://ammoseek.com ) when HB 2118 takes effect.

Assess your ammo needs...

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...ed Legislature/2118-S.PL.pdf?q=20240319153125

They always had to been licensed to sell ammo for yrs my FFL said.
The difference is Now in WA in July 2025 when 2118 takes effect, FFL dealers have to pay a $125.00 fee for selling each if the following: pistols, ammo, powder, rifles and shotguns for a total of $500.00 instead of $125.00 'lump amount to sell all those items.....so they are raising thier FFL dealer license selling fees of the FFL dealers.

My dealer showed me the current one on thier wall that was check ✔️ marked for each item that they sell on the license and sure enough, it's currently $125.00 for it all combined.

But it will climb 'to the $125.00 amount per EACH type of item a FFL dealer sells come July 2025

I'm not a lawyer (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night)...

1(3) says they must be licensed to sell and transfer ammo as provided in this section. Therefore, that implies compliance with all the new or revised rules coming in with HB 2118.

Use the link (provided in the original posting) to the final language. Some questions/callouts where I'm not sure a smaller shop (and perhaps even an out-of-State shop) is interested in dealing with:
  • 11. All of the video surveillance requirements.
  • 12(a). Promptly review and respond to all requests from law enforcement agencies and officers, including trace requests and requests for documents and records, as soon as practicably possible and no later than 24 hours after learning of the request;
  • 13(a). Establish and maintain a book, or if the dealer should choose, an electronic-based record of purchase, sale, inventory, and other records at the dealer's place of business and shall make all such records available to law enforcement upon request. Such records6 shall at a minimum include the make, model, caliber or gauge, manufacturer's name, and serial number of all firearms that are8 acquired or disposed of not later than one business day after their acquisition or disposition;
  • 15. A dealer shall carry a general liability insurance policy providing at least $1,000,000 of coverage per incident.

House Bill 2238 (11% additional tax) is what would have impacted ammo sales. Looks like that one was D.O.A.

Now if all the small FFL's go under, we would likely be left with overpriced Cabelas, Bass and Sportsmans but hopefully Bi-Mart stays in the game.

(9) "Dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail who has, or is required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a). A person who does not have, and is not required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a), is not a dealer if that person makes only occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or sells all or part of his or her personal collection of firearms.

RCW 9.41.010

It doesn't say "no person shall" it says "no dealer shall." So a person who sells only ammo, in any state, would likely not fall under these requirements in any event. Some courts might try to shoehorn them in. Someone selling firearms at wholesale or retail inside Washington has an FFL anyway (or should) and will be subject to this law even if they sell ammo.

Someone who sells firearms at wholesale or retail in another state and whose only sales to Washington are ammo would have to get their own attorney's opinion as to the applicability of each part of 2118 to their affairs. Of course they would be arguing that Washington cannot regulate business practices in another state, go to Nevada and inspect for cameras, etc. Hopefully the 2118 lawsuit specifically addresses this issue. Perhaps for an out of state FFL who only sends ammo to WA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top