JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there everyone.

Im looking for a polymer framed pistol (took me awhile to pull away from the all metal frames). However, I DO NOT LIKE GLOCKS. they are a fine gun, and I shoot them well enough, but they do not fit in my hand comfortably, and definitely not in the hands of my girlfriend.

I've been looking around, and the Walther p99, Beretta Storm PX4, and FNP-9 pistols all seem as though they might fit the bill: interchangeable backstraps, relatively slim frames, all quite comfortable, definitely not POS guns. Im looking specifically for opinions on 9mm versions.

I'd like opinions of these guns: Reliability, accuracy, ease of use, ease of field stripping, ease of maintenance, even ease of detail stripping. (I've been spoiled by my makarov, and like the ability to fix anything wrong with an easy detail strip.)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

I own two Walther P99s (full size and compact, both with the AS trigger configuration) and have test-fired the Beretta often enough to know it. Both are fine pistols. Can't speak to your third choice.

Were it me, I'd gather some friends who own the guns in question and invite them the bring them along to the local range. Then gather a goodly supply of ammo and start shooting until you decide which of the three best fits your hand and eye. The right gun for me might not be the right one for you. But I will say that I've put hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of rounds through my two P99s and have never experienced a single issue or problem or hiccup of any kind -- which might explain why I own two of them.

I guess that I should have added: Congratulations for not automatically falling for those "Glock-is-the-only-gun-to-buy" sales pitches. You have exhibited good sense in your handgun choices. :)

Out of an HK USP, Sig 226, and Walther P99 that I had the P99 was the leader of the pack. I shot the best with it and it felt the best. It was also the best for concealing, IMO. The finger grooves don't even line up with my hand very well but it is still natural feeling to grip. I tried the large back strap but find I like it best with the medium.

you may not like Glocks... BUT what you want is a G19. it does all you want and then some :)

Yeah, it even goes out and voluntarily cooperates in a ballistic fingerprinting government scheme without even telling you. How nice of it.

I see from your list of choices that you have not decided weather or not you prefer striker fired or DA/SA (hammer fired guns) but you have decided on a poly framed gun. So I will not try to steer you towards any of the metal framed guns but will suggest you look into a couple of other choices. Right now the best deal in handguns is the springfeild XD since the XDM came out the prices on the old xd's has dropped by about $150, my brother has one and it works great we both shoot it very well and it has been 100% reliable so far. One other gun I would suggest for carry is the HK p2000 or p2000sk
If you are going to carry a gun it is a good idea to think about the purchase price as part of the cost of owning that gun a p99 is about $600 while a p2000 is $800 (about 25% more) it may not seem like the HK is worth it but if you look at the cost of extra mags, 2 or 3 Holsters, and a couple of years worth of practice and defence ammo you could be looking at $2000 for the p99 and like $2200 for the HK (10% more) and I would say the HK is reeeealy worth it.

Oh and as far as the choices that you listed the 9mm version of the p99 has gotten good reviews but the .40 cal... no so much. I have a buddy that bought a beretta px4 and it shoots ok but he said it felt cheap, and I hear great things about the FNP9 and I may buy one at some point, I checked it out in the store and the slide felt a little loose probably good for a combat gun it also sounded a little tinney when I released the slide like a s&w sigma.

"you may not like Glocks... BUT what you want is a G19. it does all you want and then some"

yeah...about that. see, my buddy bought a Glock 19 the same day I bought my bulgarian makarov. The glock is a nice gun, just not for me. plus, I was easily twice as accurate with my makarov, accurate enough to outshoot my friend and his new Glock at 15 yards, and my girlfriend could get her hands around it... not so with the glock.

"Right now the best deal in handguns is the springfeild XD since the XDM came out the prices on the old xd's has dropped by about $150, my brother has one and it works great we both shoot it very well and it has been 100% reliable so far. One other gun I would suggest for carry is the HK p2000 or p2000sk"

I do like the xd better than the glock for ergonomics, however, I do not like the grip safety on a polymer frame. I like the 1911 and all, but it just feels weird on a polymer gun. However, I will look into it and see if I can make myself like it.
As for the H&K... nice guns, but possibly more gun than i need. Im not willing to spend 200 bucks more for a gun that is quite possibly just as good as a lesser priced one. I use my makarov as a prime example. However, I will look into the HK guns further, just to be sure.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

You are welcome to try my PX4 out. Ive owned the P99 but not the others you listed. I have a XDm 40 as well. I still prefer the Berretta to all of the above. It has less recoil of any .40 Ive ever handled, the best fit and balance, best price. All of these attributes make it very comfortable and highly accurate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top