JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back when the panic really kicked in and the que was hitting 2500+ I would walk in and out as fast as my 4473 got punched into the computer. It created a lot of animosity among newbs without a CHL who thought standing in the gun store for an extra hour was some how going to magically get them an OSP approval. I jokingly started asking if I could exit out the back door to avoid the flack.

In Grants Pass, none of the three FFL's will hold your gun for a private sale. So, if I'm selling to a private party, I get paid, the buyer pays the FFL, buyer does the paperwork, might get lucky with an instant approval or might not. If the approval doesn't go through right away, then I need to take the gun back to my safe and we wait until the approval. FFL calls when it's approved, and we both meet at the FFL to transfer the gun.

Is this how it works in the rest of Oregon? Are buyers always ok with this arrangement?
I was under the impression that the FFL takes responsibility for the firearm once the BGC is submitted, and transferred from them to the buyer. Supposedly making it the FFL's responsibility to hold onto the firearm. I'm no FFL tho...

In Grants Pass, none of the three FFL's will hold your gun for a private sale. So, if I'm selling to a private party, I get paid, the buyer pays the FFL, buyer does the paperwork, might get lucky with an instant approval or might not. If the approval doesn't go through right away, then I need to take the gun back to my safe and we wait until the approval. FFL calls when it's approved, and we both meet at the FFL to transfer the gun.

Is this how it works in the rest of Oregon? Are buyers always ok with this arrangement?
My recent experience in Hillsboro area. Shop would not hold the rifle claiming an insurance issue since it was not their inventory. This was private sale transfer. So I had to take the rifle home and we wait until buyer gets approved.

My recent experience in Hillsboro area. Shop would not hold the rifle claiming an insurance issue since it was not their inventory. This was private sale transfer. So I had to take the rifle home and we wait until buyer gets approved.
From what Tigard Pawn 4 More said, it goes through their possession before the buyer takes it or is denied...
maybe these shops are being lazy.

Thank you. Sounds like this happens all over Oregon. I guess that is part of doing business during a pandemic.

ORS 166.435 section (3)
d)If, upon completion of a criminal background check, the gun dealer:

(A)Receives a unique approval number from the Department of State Police indicating that the transferee is qualified to complete the transfer, the gun dealer shall notify the transferor, enter the firearm into the gun dealer's inventory and transfer the firearm to the transferee.

Actually is murky with that the firearm only enters the inventory of an FFL upon approval of the transfer by NICs

Theres No way that is legal, if the FFL is doing it correctly. When you do a trade/sale at a dealer. The FFL MUST put the guns into their books stating who its from. Once its in their books it is now their property, and they CANNOT give it back to you. the only way they are getting around this is by not putting the gun into their books until the background clears. if the ATF did a surprise audit and checked the serial #s in the books with every gun in the shop (and they will) and they came across that gun in the books and found out it was not in their possession, it wouldn't work out well for the dealer.

and the Que is currently 2448

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads