JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Theres No way that is legal, if the FFL is doing it correctly. When you do a trade/sale at a dealer. The FFL MUST put the guns into their books stating who its from. Once its in their books it is now their property, and they CANNOT give it back to you. the only way they are getting around this is by not putting the gun into their books until the background clears. if the ATF did a surprise audit and checked the serial #s in the books with every gun in the shop (and they will) and they came across that gun in the books and found out it was not in their possession, it wouldn't work out well for the dealer.
FFLs take gun in for repair work and stuff all the time. Why wouldn't the procedure be the same? They are not buying the firearm, merely holding it. They don't do background checks when returning guns after work is done do they?

FFLs take gun in for repair work and stuff all the time. Why wouldn't the procedure be the same? They are not buying the firearm, merely holding it. They don't do background checks when returning guns after work is done do they?

Thats completely different...

If you come to my shop and sell someone a gun. I take the gun, i then put it into my books and say I aquire the gun from you. The gun is now in my books. When the buyer fills out the 4473 and I then submit the info via OSP, the gun is no longer yours. Its mine until he passes, if he's denied and you want the gun back, then you will have to have a background check ran to get it back.

Thats completely different...

If you come to my shop and sell someone a gun. I take the gun, i then put it into my books and say I aquire the gun from you. The gun is now in my books. When the buyer fills out the 4473 and I then submit the info via OSP, the gun is no longer yours. Its mine until he passes, if he's denied and you want the gun back, then you will have to have a background check ran to get it back.
Then why don't you have to do that for guns you are working on, since you are taking posession? Could you just take a gun in as a "repair" and then only put it on your books if the buyer passes a BGC? I know you are following the rules, but is there any reason why there is a difference in the two scenarios?

Then why don't you have to do that for guns you are working on, since you are taking posession? Could you just take a gun in as a "repair" and then only put it on your books if the buyer passes a BGC? I know you are following the rules, but is there any reason why there is a difference in the two scenarios?

Because I'm working on your gun and putting it in my book as gunsmithing work and then giving it back to you. Thats no different then sending your gun to the manufacturer for a repair.

When I run the 4473 the serial # is now associated with the buyer, not you. No 4473 is ran when you bring your gun in for repair.

Other day I filled out a 4473 for the 1885 Winchester repop I am buying. ODL number, CHL number, and my social with being the only person in the USA with my name and after standing around for a half hour the dealer tells me I am delayed resolved by mid Feb! Never taken longer then a few hours before. And most less then 10 mins

Last Edited:
Other day I filled out a 4473 for the 1885 Winchester report I am buying. ODL number, CHL number, and my social with being the only person in the USA with my name and after standing around for a half hour the dealer tells me I am delayed resolved by mid Feb! Never taken longer then a few hours before. And most less then 10 mins

Man, this sucks to The nth degree. Mid FEB? The problem is, you can't even count on that for sure.

Man, this sucks to The nth degree. Mid FEB? The problem is, you can't even count on that for sure.

Well the stupid thing is there is absolutely nothing that could be on my record to justify not passing a BGC. Its not like I haven't passed this same level of BGC a half dozen times not to mention renewing my CHL in May. I'm hoping they were just flat over whelmed and just shoveled it off to the bottom of the list.

But hey I might be some crazy guy who would rather buy a new 135 year old rifle (design) to do mayhem with then use one of the great big pile of firearms I already own almost all more effective at causing mayhem then a single shot 45-70 LOL

Other day I filled out a 4473 for the 1885 Winchester report I am buying. ODL number, CHL number, and my social with being the only person in the USA with my name and after standing around for a half hour the dealer tells me I am delayed resolved by mid Feb! Never taken longer then a few hours before. And most less then 10 mins

Those dates don't really mean much. I have two guys that were supposed to be delayed till the end of November. They are still delayed with no update yet. My buddy at his shop still has a delay from Feb.

Those dates don't really mean much. I have two guys that were supposed to be delayed till the end of November. They are still delayed with no update yet. My buddy at his shop still has a delay from Feb.
These times are crazy to me. I waited the longest I have waited since COVID last week, but it was only 10 minutes or so.
FFL said it was likely due to having multiple pistols on one BGC.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top