JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As of Thursday Oregon CHL holders who we enter with / without a DL are getting bumped to the top of the list, usually jumping to number 2 or 3 in line out of about 3900. They used to let CHL holders cut the line but stopped quite awhile ago, I'd guess the background checks for CHL holders are quicker so they are trying to increase efficiency by doing them first rather than letting them sit in line.

As far as instant approvals its pretty random, and the formula is a secret. The only contributing factors I've noticed over the years are having a unique name and also teachers, teachers almost always get instant approved. I've also noticed with a couple regular customers that when they put their SSN they get instant approved and when they don't put SSN they are thrown in line with everyone else but I've seen lots of people not put a SSN and still get an instant approval. I've also seen people do everything exactly the same and sometimes they are instant and other times not. Frequency of purchasing firearms and NFA stamps don't seem to factor much, we have many regular customers who purchase weekly / monthly and have NFA items who have never been instant approved. I've also been wondering if using your passport plays a part in it, I've noticed that people using their passport as a form of ID seem to always get instant but I have't paid enough attention to say it matters with certainty vs just being a coincidence.

Personally I have a somewhat unique name, have a CHL, always put my SSN, have quite a few NFA tax stamps and also hold multiple FFL's and still no instant approvals for me.

Last Edited:
I don't know how the system works, but the employee asked me to see my CHL and entered something from it into the computer, and I got an instant. Same with the guy in front of me and same with the guy I sold a gun to on Wednesday. Just relaying my experience this morning.
I apologize, my post sounded a bit brutish and I didn't mean it towards you. If I keep going at this rate with my drivel I could wind up writing speeches for Joe Biden. Aaaah! :eek:

I online ordered one last Tuesday from NW Armory. It shipped from Scottsdale store to the Tigard store. I received a call this morning at 10:15 that it was in, went to the store and got in line at 10:40 {#9 in line}. Got into the store at about 11:30 and did the paper work BGC and was out the door with my item before 12:30. Instant approval. Steve told me it was VERY uncommon for instant approval. I was very shocked at getting this done in one hour after reading all the horror stories about delays in BGC paper work. I too must be living a good clean life orrrr because of frequent flying.
Similar experience today, NWA in Tigard, arrived at 13:50, was #11 in line, walked out the door at 14:22, instant background check. That's just 32 minutes start to finish to walk away with a Sig P365 TacPac

:D

Last Edited:
I am thinking that maybe since I bought two guns they were surely going to check me out and make sure I wasn't a terrorist. The fact that the one gun is almost 70 years old and the other almost 50 plays no part in their logic.

A friend and first time gun buyer went to Keith's yesterday. She said there was a line outside and an hour wait to get in. However her background check took a whole five minutes.

I online ordered one last Tuesday from NW Armory. It shipped from Scottsdale store to the Tigard store. I received a call this morning at 10:15 that it was in, went to the store and got in line at 10:40 {#9 in line}. Got into the store at about 11:30 and did the paper work BGC and was out the door with my item before 12:30. Instant approval. Steve told me it was VERY uncommon for instant approval. I was very shocked at getting this done in one hour after reading all the horror stories about delays in BGC paper work. I too must be living a good clean life orrrr because of frequent flying.

Do you have to pay for shipping? Thanks.

I called a popular place(FFL) on the west side today and was told that if my buyer did not have a CCL, to expect a week for approval. That would mean two trips to the FFL. Unfortunate but it is what it is

First off my name is not common at all, recent purchase { 6 months ago } and a CHL holder for 30 years. This is why I think I got bumped to # 3 in BGC line.
To briant27 : shipping from Scottsdale store to Tigard store was $ 15.00.
Also found 1000 round cases of 556 on line today so I bought SOME.

The only takeaway I've gotten from the 40+ pages so far is that the process is completely random.

100 percent agree. My name is fairly common, I always use my DL and my SSN. Again, I am a military FLE veteran. I just really think it's a crapshoot.
I hadn't bought any firearms since the early 90's. With my CHL being expired since 1998, I bought a Glock at Cabelas and was instant approval two days in a row (same purchase, but Cabelas sold me the "wrong" gun, so had to do it again the next day.

After I renewed my CHL, I bought a lower from a pal, (PTP at Tigard Pawn), I was instant approved again. My buddy was still waiting (for the first time ever) on a handgun he purchased the previous week. He has purchased many firearms consistently over the past 15-20 years.

Last Wednesday I was at 3400 today I called this morning and I am at around 1700 - this process is not just slow it appears to be stalled. A new form of gun control.

Well, near instant today.

I went to the shop to pick up a few orders. The fellow ahead of me was told "I'll call you in 7-9 days".

The kind shop owner entered my information in and she informed me that I went to #1 in the line and was currently under review. About a minute later I broke out the plastic and was the new owner of some silly firearms (such as an H&R top-break in .32 S&W) and some cool to me pieces (such as a Savage M99 in 300 Savage and a Henry CCH octagonal barrel in 45-70).

Stupidly weird last name, Or. CHL, used SSN.

I haven't been able to make any sense of it. In my own case I've gone through 5 BGC's during these times, 4 times I've had wait for days and 1 time I got an instant approval despite a line in the thousands. Considering none of my variables changed (unusual name, CHL, enter SSN) not sure why I've had both experiences.

List was 4103 today, i was entered after a lady in front of me. I was placed at number 7. Took less then 30 min. Two weeks ago i was 2300 somthn and waited 5 days. Hope they get faster for the folks waiting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top