JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...not the barrel nut but the barrel itself is IN THERE. Have tried an acetylene torch lightly to heat it up with the upper in a proper vice block. Tried a reaction rod to push it out. Used wooden handle of plunger down bore. Nothing is budging it. I understand this to be a good thing.....for shooting. Not for maintenance.

So....

What I would do is soak it in penetrating oil and then press it out on a arbor press. That will give you the most control and smallest chance of damaging something.

You should be able to find someone local to do that for you, if you can't send it to me and I''ll remove it for you.

What "maintenance" are you trying to perform by removing the barrel? Just curious.

And have confidence that @IronMonster will take good care of it if you feel the need to remove it.

I like IM's idea on pressing it out.
In lieu of a press, you could make up a wood jig that would hold the receiver horizontally.
The jig would be bumping on the pivot lug and the top of the receiver and some smart clamping would stabilize the receiver.
Remove the dust door if it interferes with the jig.
I'd probably put a heat gun on it for good measure.
Wrap the end of the barrel in a large towel or something heavy and soft so it doesn't go flying.
Then with a 7/8" wood dowel of a comfortable length, tap the barrel out (with a hammer of course).

DD
Member Local 247
Kitchen Table Gun Plumbers Union

These are good ideas. I'm definitely going to need lots of heat and some tapping of sorts. My full body weight and the upper clamped in the vice and didn't budge a cm! I'm just wary of damaging the barrel. Not so concerned about the upper it's attached to although I'd like to sell it in good shape.

I know Jon @NWCustomFirearms is closed for a week for the holiday's but I am sure if your not in a hurry he would be able to take care of it for you in short order. If you are looking to get it done sooner there is @Velzey or shipping it to Iron.

I have probably a good week until my Vltor upper arrives. I have everything I need to assemble it once it's apart but I'm not against giving my business locally to just have them do the swap. Don't have headspace gauges to check yet anyhow so might be better off going that route!

So....

What I would do is soak it in penetrating oil and then press it out on a arbor press. That will give you the most control and smallest chance of damaging something.

You should be able to find someone local to do that for you, if you can't send it to me and I''ll remove it for you.
I know there are different penetrating oils. All I have around is PB blaster. Any reason not to use this?

That PB Blaster probably wouldn't hurt anything (maybe the finish?). I would have been soaking it in Breakfree CLP or Ballistol from the start. I'd imagine any CLP type firearm lube would do it.

2 COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS CAS # PERCENT EXPOSURE LIMITS
ALKYLOXYPOLYETHYLENEOXYETHANOL 68131-40-8 0 - 3% OSHA (TWA): N/E
ACGIH (TLV): N/E

SOLVENT NAPHTHA, 64742-94-5 40 - 50% OSHA (TWA): N/E
HEAVY AROMATIC** ACGIH (TWA): N/E

HEAVY PETROLEUM 64742-65-0 20 - 30% OSHA (TWA): N/E
DISTILLATE ACGIH (TLV): N/E
HYDROTREATED 64742-47-8 30 - 40% OSHA (TWA): N/E
LIGHT DISTILLATE ACGIH (PEL): 500 PPM

*DENOTES CHEMICAL IS SUBJECT TO THE REPORTING REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 313 OF
TITLE III OF THE 1986 SUPERFUND AMENDMENTS AND REAUTHORIZATION ACT (SARA)
AND 40 CFR PART 372.

**AROMATIC NAPHTHA CONTAINS 1-7 % NAPHTHALENE (91-20-3) AND 0-1%
PSEUDOCUMENE (95-63-6)

HMIS RATINGS:
HEALTH 2
FIRE 2
REACTIVITY 0
NFPA RATINGS:
HEALTH 2
FIRE 2
REACTIVITY 0

No crazy reactivity rating. Give it a shot o_O

Last Edited:
I have encountered barrels that were loctited to the receiver with high temp high
strength loctite.:eek: This was done to increase accuracy. I have tried it with a shot
out barrel and it cut group size in half. I figure I will never take it off. Flat top uppers
are pretty cheap.:oops:

These are good ideas. I'm definitely going to need lots of heat and some tapping of sorts. My full body weight and the upper clamped in the vice and didn't budge a cm! I'm just wary of damaging the barrel. Not so concerned about the upper it's attached to although I'd like to sell it in good shape.
A way to do it vertically would be to punch a hole slightly larger than the barrel boss through a 2x
Screw the 2x down on some sturdy sawhorses. The 2x being a 2x8, 10 or 12
Now you have your jig for the price of one hole.
You will have to control the barrel so it doesn't fly out and smash the crown.
Have a fat guy hang onto it while you tap out the barrel with the wood dowel.
Place the hole near one of the sawhorses to eliminate some of the deflection (bounce).

DD
Member Local 247
Kitchen Table Gun Plumber's Union

Put the barreled upper in the freezer overnight. It will pop out relatively easy in the morning. The cold makes the metal contract (shrink).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top