JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's out!!! Just added a little perseverance and persistence. Almost thought I got the wood stick stuck in the back of the barrel. Took about 50 good whacks! Lesson learned. Don't give up! 20171222_182907.jpg

Someone said a small container of Kroil will last a long time . . . WRONG!!!
I filled a small plastic bottle with Kroil several months ago. I haven't used any but the bottle is now only about half full!
The stuff evaporates "through" the container. It also "crawls" out of the can it comes in, especially through the joints.

Sheldon
That's interesting, I don't have that problem, but I don't store in in plastic.

The first time I came across KROIL was in high school when a neighbor who was moving gave me a gallon can about 1/4 full. That lasted years. I'm now on my second gallon can that I purchased about 12 years ago (and split with a neighbor). Both cans remained intact and have not exhibited leaking in any way. I do work from a smaller bottle though. I repurposed an empty glass 4oz Hoppe's bottle and it has contained the fluid without any problems. This glass bottle is over 20 years old.

I'm curious if anybody else has storage problems?

Someone said a small container of Kroil will last a long time . . . WRONG!!!
I filled a small plastic bottle with Kroil several months ago. I haven't used any but the bottle is now only about half full!
The stuff evaporates "through" the container. It also "crawls" out of the can it comes in, especially through the joints.

Sheldon
You're obviously a sleep oiler.. it's pretty common.

jk

Mix 50/50 a small amount of auto transmission fluid & acetone together & apply to threads & let soak for about an hour & the barrel will unscrew from the receiver. These two components will require stirring before applying, no commercial penetrant will penetrate as well as this mixture. Can speed the process up by adding a little heat to threaded afea before applying.

"Machinist Workshop Magazine" did a test on penetrating oils.

torque required to loosen them.

This is what they came up with:

Nothing: 516 lbs

WD-40: 238 lbs;

PB Blaster: 214 lbs;

Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,

Kano Kroil: 106 lbs

(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

The issue in my case was not the threads of the nut but rather an incredible tight fit from extension to receiver. It may have helped to apply some penetrating oil anyhow assuming no harm to the finish. Very helpful guys thanks for the info!

Figured this would be about as good as any thread for this..

These just came out and I like the guy so there.. oh, spoiler.. Kroil sucks donk? close to it anyways as far as I can figure
And he addresses the "Machinist Workshop Magazine" oil test referred to in post #73.. that the units were converted all wrong and that test is junk.

I know it's lame, but i'd love to ask if you can summarise those videos, i have a lot of use for penetrating oils.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top