JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any experience removing the barrel from the receiver on a Ruger MK I/II/III ?

- From picts on the net, they appear to be threaded, but I cannot figure out if it is left or right threaded.

- How did you hold the barrel/receiver tight enough to un-thread the barrel without marring or damaging either component? With that being asked, how did you turn the barrel/receiver without damaging either? (I assume that you DO NOT use a 24" pipe wrench against the bare metal. HAHA)

I'd like to keep both pieces in as nice of condition as possible so i can reassemble when my "project" is done. (I don't want to use a cutting torch, bench vise and pipe wrench, etc.)

Seriously, how do you remove the barrel from the receiver? I am still searching the net and reading what I can find. I've also searched YouTube and cannot find anything. I'm thinking my "search words" aren't correct to bring back any hits.

Any help/links/pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here are some threads that I found. It was easier to searching things for mk2 stuff vs mk3. Sounds like it would be pretty difficult to remove the barrel from the upper receiver.

I believe the factory uses a crush thread to install the barrel. the install destroys the first couple threads. about the only way to remove them would be on a lathe, and remove the first couple threads. DR

Interesting topic. I seem to remember heating them a bit to get the barrel out.

Somewhere I've still got a SWD/Cobray replacement Ruger Mk I or II threaded barrel and faux suppressor. Has a really coarse large thread on the muzzle device end. I'll have to dig that out one of these days.

Cheaper to replace completely.

Not for the project I am looking at doing. Nobody sells just the upper for one of these. You have to buy the whole gun at ~$2700 - ~$2900.

1733.jpg

I believe the factory uses a crush thread to install the barrel. the install destroys the first couple threads. about the only way to remove them would be on a lathe, and remove the first couple threads. DR

Through searching people that have just the barrels for sale, it is hard to tell. I am hoping someone reads this thread that has experience.

This is an example of picts/people that have just barrels for sale. Lots on eBay, but not much info on how to separate the barrel/receiver.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600c.jpg s-l1600d.jpg

Ive done a crapload of them Its like any other threaded barrel gun. You need to get a action wrench and press block set with lead shims and rosin etc., You absolutely must heat the receiver up to melt the Loctite. If you are just trashing the old barrel anyway machine it to the base of the receiver and then heat it and you can unscew it easily.

Im sorry there is no easy way

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top