JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like this is really catching on in Europe. I noticed several brands using boron-nitride micro particles in their formulations. Even Ballistol has a ceramic enhanced version now in Europe.

This hasn't caught on yet in the states but it's just a matter of time imo. Bicycle lubes such as finish line are going from a Teflon formulation to a ceramic plus Teflon formulation. Also muc-off c3 seems to be leading the way in the bicycle chain lube/general lube world.

ipsc website has a Italian?/Dutch? made lube in various concentrations (3 different types) of Boron-Nitride for competition.

There is one on Amazon that is a us company made but it's crazy expensive for a tiny amount and to me their marketing seems deceptive (Ie it promises too much, it's not realistic Imo).

So far I have only used liquid-moly ceratec, which is formulated for car engines as a friction modifier (think of how moly works, it's similar to that it binds to the metal creating a slippery surface over time) mainly because that is all I could find. It did work wonders for turbo spool up time in my car (takes about 400 miles plus to work). I have experimented with various oils on these engines for many years working with the former head of Exxon Mobil's advanced research lab so I know what to look for and turbo spool up is a fast indicator of lubricity on these engines. On guns I put on the ceratec and it makes things incredibly slippery but haven't used it enough to know how many cycles it needs to run before it's really effective, how effective it is "wet" vs dry (ie carrier oil mostly evaporated) etc.

I did order some gun-specific dry ceramic lube from a Swiss company though so we'll see how that does.

The one I want to really try is that Italian? IPSC lube (can't remember brand name if anyone is curious I can find it). Their top line is 60% boron nitride and the one below that is a mix of boron nitride and Teflon .

I think this is going to be the next wave of gun lube and in 5 years (or sooner) all the best gun lubes will contain boron-nitride "nano particles" or whatever you want to call it. The properties are outstanding and protect up to 1150 degree F as I recall (edit: I noticed the ballistol can says 1000C, or 1832 degrees F).

Here is a pic of the ballistol one and muc-off. I can dig up the names/sites of the others I found in my rabbit hole research if anyone is interested. Edit: As I recall there were 1-2 small us makers too but not sure. Those were very small not common name brand companies.

888A4089-9599-4F22-B079-9AB4609F7346.jpeg
5FE4557C-5B5E-49D0-BE06-E78FD8EC2B43.png

Last Edited:
I wasn't thrilled when my Remoil went Teflon. After all these years of it getting the job done, why? If I want Teflon I'll go find some Break Free.

Remoil is a fairly terrible lube!

I'm waiting on people posting how CLP or motor oil works fine and why change it.

But seriously, this could be interesting, I think it might be stemming from the introduction of ceramic 8nto car care products.

Snake oil, I say!

Waiting to get fleeced
I see that particular company dropped their price 40% from last week. All the "reviews" sound like they were written by the same person and don't sound realistic or objective in the slightest. Likewise pretty much all info anywhere on it was generated by the company not independent reviewers/users. It appears they were trying to hype the marketing and it's not selling. If it catches on they will raise their price again I'm sure. My intuition and logic both shout at me do not trust this company. I'm purposely not listing their name.

Ok I think I'm convinced. Today I ran cci quiet 710 fps 22lr in my browning buckmark and it cycled. As in every time. Wow., never expected that.

Previously it would not cycle even once with this ammo.

I did about 3 applications on the slide with lots of hand cycling. Probably about 50-100 rounds or so between applications also. Seems to be getting slicker with each application.

Then this time I shot about 50 rounds of various subsonics that I knew would cycle and then I thought "what the heck I'll try it". And it cycles. Very surprised. Action feels like butter but that's subjective. Ability to cycle rounds that it wouldn't before is proof enough for me. Keep in mind this is with an automotive product. So a gun-specific lube such as that IPSC one should do even better perhaps. Happy camper here. Gonna have to try it on some other 22s (none of them cycle with the 710 fps cci-quiet) to see if the same result.

Fwiw this is the liqui-moly product u can buy from NAPA or Amazon that I used.

5D496E0D-046A-492C-9763-B437A9C648AF.jpeg

Last Edited:
Ok I think I'm convinced. Today I ran cci quiet 710 fps 22lr in my browning buckmark and it cycled. As in every time. Wow., never expected that.

Previously it would not cycle even once with this ammo.

I did about 3 applications on the slide with lots of hand cycling. Probably about 50-100 rounds or so between applications also. Seems to be getting slicker with each application.

Then this time I shot about 50 rounds of various subsonics that I knew would cycle and then I thought "what the heck I'll try it". And it cycles. Very surprised. Action feels like butter but that's subjective. Ability to cycle rounds that it wouldn't before is proof enough for me. Keep in mind this is with an automotive product. So a gun-specific lube such as that IPSC one should do even better perhaps. Happy camper here. Gonna have to try it on some other 22s (none of them cycle with the 710 fps cci-quiet) to see if the same result.

Fwiw this is the liqui-moly product u can buy from NAPA or Amazon that I used.

View attachment 1256982
I am convinced too. I started using it recently and it makes everything so slick it is unreal. I decided to use in the car too,-:).

Looks like it is intended to be mixed with motor oil during an oil change.

How are you gents "applying" it to your firearms? I.E.- Straight out of the bottle or mixing it with some lubricant?

Best regards.

WMB

How are you gents "applying" it to your firearms? I.E.- Straight out of the bottle or mixing it with some lubricant?

Best regards.

WMB
Not sure if you are asking me or someone else but ceratec is boron nitride nano particles in a carrier oil.

The ipsc lubes that are sold as a gun oil are the same except they offer three different formulations, some of which have ptfe plus boron nitride along with the carrier oils.

For application yes straight out of bottle. It's important to shake well cuz ceramic particles will settle out of carrier oil somewhat over time. Put on wet and work the action a lot to give ceramic a chance to adsorb to metal. In a car this takes roughly 400 miles of driving but it was noticeable in 150 miles on a 4 cylinder turbo. For gun put on and work action a lot. Subsequent applications will increase the boron nitride adsorption over time.(ie you get a slicker surface over time with repeated applications). To use as a dry lube gently remove the oil after working the action a lot.

Last Edited:

Best regards.

WMB
I just put a small amount in an oiling bottle with a needle. It is somewhat thicker than oil but flows pretty well.

Thank you for the replies Gentlemen.

The information supplied answers my question.

I will be ordering some ceratec and give it a try.

I have some oiling bottles with the needle. Will be giving some to a couple shooting buddies so they can try it as well.

Thanks again!

WMB

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top