JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My family will be selling several firearms from my brother's "collection" and I'm wondering how best to do this given the quantity of pieces (roughly 65-70 firearms in total as well as ammunition, reloading pieces, bows, etc.). We will certainly start with an inventory of everything and will take pictures as we go.

- Given the quantity, will I need a license?
- Best way to advertise and sell to minimize the overall effort?
- If a "broker" is considered, what is a reasonable commission?
- Best source/s to sell in or at?
- What not to do?

Thanks for your help fellas. I'm not on line daily but will do my best to monitor any feedback.

We have a classified section here...so you could sell the items on our forum.
If the firearms are modern....then they will need to go through an FFL.
You will not need to get a license.

A easier way , but one with less "profit" for you is to put them on consignment at a local gun shop or sell them out right to a gun shop....that said...Most gun shops will buy at 40 - 50 percent less than what the gun is worth.

If you don't need the money right away....
I would do as you said and take an inventory , pictures and the like....make sure that the firearms are properly "IDed"...as in just what make and model they are.
And then sell them on here a little at a time.

Right now guns are a tough / tricky sell in my area at least....
Many folks want a gun , so that is good... and lot's of others are selling guns through private sales there can be lots to choose from...
Or , it could be that the gun that is available is not popular at the moment...so it won't sell at any price.
Also be advised that there is :
Book value...
Internet store value...
And just what the gun will actually sell for value....
These can be vastly different.
Andy

A book that i think that would be of great help would be the "bluebook of modern gun values". At least it would be a starting point. In Oregon all sales of guns with few exceptions must go throuh an FFL , this protects you by recording a lawful transaction. This board collectively has a lot of knowledge dont be afraid of asking questions.

That sounds like a good source JR. Yes, having my own firearms, I've dealt with and am aware of some federal requirements but certainly not all. I appreciate your feedback.

And be aware of the guy who wants the gun but don't want a BCG.
don't sell THAT GUY ANYTHING.
you don't want to go to jail.
Or have them take all your guns and gun rights away.
Another words find out what the law is and stick with it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews