JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been to other shops where they don't charge sales tax on a person to person , straight across trade...
They just charge a transfer fee.

That said...
I have no love for Insipid Inslee and yes he is a greedy SOB
Andy
having been in Construction biz for 25 years- many did not follow rules- thus they did not last. I do not know rules- hell they change so fast now, the government does not know rules.

I've been to other shops where they don't charge sales tax on a person to person , straight across trade...
They just charge a transfer fee.

That said...
I have no love for Insipid Inslee and yes he is a greedy SOB
Andy
Everything I could find states that the Washington Use Tax (~10%) must be collected on arms shipped to an FFL but that no such requirement exists for person to person facilitated transfers.

If that business was collecting "sales tax" and then pocketing in…well, I hear you can lose your business pretty quick for stealing money from the government.

Food price increases since the Rona Scare equate to about six guns per year not being purchased. Food money has to come from somewhere.

I have three vintage firearms on the list to buy but none of them will be purchased this year.

Everything I could find states that the Washington Use Tax (~10%) must be collected on arms shipped to an FFL but that no such requirement exists for person to person facilitated transfers.

If that business was collecting "sales tax" and then pocketing in…well, I hear you can lose your business pretty quick for stealing money from the government.
I believe stores can require proof that it was previously paid, or you get to pay it again.

It looks like the state requires FFLs to charge tax if the FFL received the gun from another FFL, but not from a private transferor.

3FC122D3-31DF-419C-8E4D-6FD21BAB14E4.png

Food price increases since the Rona Scare equate to about six guns per year not being purchased. Food money has to come from somewhere.

I have three vintage firearms on the list to buy but none of them will be purchased this year.

I believe stores can require proof that it was previously paid, or you get to pay it again.

It looks like the state requires FFLs to charge tax if the FFL received the gun from another FFL, but not from a private transferor.

View attachment 1436521
My guess is for most it is honest mistake. I was in construction biz for 25 years. I found Dept. Of revenue the most authoritarian of of all state offices to deal with. They always flaunted their power. Not fun. I would guess that most FFL do not have extensive book keeping staff. If they had been burnt once they would error on side of caution. This does not mean some would not cheat customers. but I think/hope that would be the exception.

It seems accessory and ammo sales may also be declining. I picked up 8 gen 3 AK pmags and 900 plus rounds of wolf 122gr fmjs for $100.

Edit: I took a gamble that there are really 900+ rounds in the box as there were only 340rnds still in cartons. I figured that even if there were only 500rnds that the 8 mags and ammo were still worth $100. This photo shows the loose rounds.

20230613_232036.jpg

Last Edited:
AsIt seems accessory and ammo sales may also be declining. I picked up 8 gen 3 AK pmags and 900 plus rounds of wolf 122gr fmjs for $100.

Edit: I took a gamble that there are really 900+ rounds in the box as there were only 340rnds still in cartons. I figured that even if there were only 500rnds that the 8 mags and ammo were still worth $100. This photo shows the loose rounds.

View attachment 1437451
That doesn't make sense in the current market, $.11/round. Plus free magazines.

Was this retail, or classifieds?

Took a look on ammoseek, the least expensive 7.62x39 is currently $.366/round. Plus shipping. From etailers I've never dealt with/heard of.

First one I have dealt with lists $.41/round (PSA) for Tula.

Last Edited:
Parking lot deal. He set the table for negotiation with $40 asking price on 8 mags ($5 ea). I offered $60 more for the ammo and he accepted.
That's a great deal, however so great a deal that it isn't truly a market indicator. Being such an outlier.

Now, when such and similar type deals become more common, that's a market indicator. IMO. ie Ammo readily available at 2/3 to half current retail.

1/4 current retail? Extremely unusual.

I'll give a little background basically.

I spend basically 1 day a week at my favorite FFL helping them out. It's one of my favorite places to be, learn more about firearms and handle so many to find what I like and don't like, and meet new people... I've found a lot of new additions to my collection by getting to be around so many...

The shop operates on the bare minimums, basically a volume shop for sales rather than high markups... As such, there is a daily sales goal just keep everything going, lights on and employees employed. I see the sales on the days I'm there or hear about them during the week.

I've mentioned the place and recommended it many times it's on the coast in Oregon, in these background times, they do everything they can to get you approved same day.

To the original point, for the last few months, it's been very slow for sales, that daily number, which isn't much, is getting harder and harder to reach, sales are falling more and more. Sure, sales were amazing last November/December and even January but these last couple months it's been very slow...

I suspect it's the economy, inflation, all those things making everything cost more and cutting people hobby or sport budgets, but also we do get people in who ask what they can buy with 114 being in place, which for the time being, it's not...

Has anyone else noticed sales dropping off? I know many shops have shut down even with the initial 114 threat last year.

I'm just worried about my favorite FFL being forced to close not from all these new laws trying to be passed but just lack of sales.

Given their markup rates, and things I want personally, and since I hate paying full price, I've helped setup this Sporting Goods store as a Dealer for another product line, as such they have the best priced home freeze dryers in the State/Country given their markup rates rather than normal rates...

My writing is probably not the best, things on my mind early in the morning while I prep to drive over to the shop and help for another day, pickup some equipment, and probably end the day pulling weeds and clearing some land while I'm out there.

I guess I'm just worried about my favorite shop, my favorite hang out spot which grew from my grandfather as it was his favorite place, potentially not being able to make it with the month over month decline in sales...
I personally have everything I need, but there are a couple things I want. However this 114 thing has me apprehensive to buy anything. It seems I might have to fight with Oregon just to purchase a gun. So, I have just put firearm purchses on the back burner until we retire and move somewhere more sensible.

That's a great deal, however so great a deal that it isn't truly a market indicator. Being such an outlier.

Now, when such and similar type deals become more common, that's a market indicator. IMO. ie Ammo readily available at 2/3 to half current retail.

1/4 current retail? Extremely unusual.
It was definitely an outlier as far as deals go but there are plenty of gems in the gravel pile of gun deals out there. Seems to be lots of complaints about over priced items in the classifieds. My suggestion is that buyers start making offers (unless seller indicates price is firm). Some sellers haven't got the memo that demand has fell off and discretionary dollars are harder to come by.

I picked up a 7 62x39 AR15 rifle (with M4E1 lower), Monstrum Prism optic, 8 ASC mags, 500ish rounds of Tula ammo with 30cal metal ammo box for $450 by searching old classifieds from last year. All I did was PM'd the seller to clarify what the current price was, $500 or $850 and he replied back with "I'll take $450"

Deals are out there, just takes a little work.

This Glock 21 from @taroman is a smoking deal with Vortex rmr. I would further help reverse the firearm sales decline if he was closer.

As it is, I have two more firearm purchases in the works and an offer on the table. Tigard Pawn 4 More declined my offer on the Krebs Custom AK PD18A2 pistol so that will be going on the rack soon (maybe today). I wanted to convert it to a rifle with a budget pin & weld job but it wasn't in the cards. I was sad but my wallet wasn't.

Firearm sales are definitely declining.

Last Edited:
Sales of many items, even unrelated to firearms, are plummeting.
You wouldn't know it by looking at the stock market but you're right. I talked with a young gal who sells furniture for less at one of the furniture retailers in the metro area. She said sales have been super slow lately. The decline started in February this year. The company has lowered quotas for the sales people.

It's not just the firearm business. I work in the outdoor apparel industry and business has slowed way down. People spent a lot on 'stuff' during covid and are now pausing to see if we are going into a recession. What money they do have is being spent on experiences over things. As long as the Fed doesn't plunge us into a recession, it should bounce back in 6 months to a year from now.

The deals are getting crazy out there. CZ P-10 F for $339 shipped.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews