JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's simplify the question. Let's say you sold an upper to a buyer. Two weeks later the buyer contacted you and asked for his money back because he wasn't happy with the upper. Would you give him all of his money back, a portion of his money or say sorry no refunds?

I am thinking about selling some of my AR uppers. I would like to offer the buyer the option of me buying it back at less than the sale price, if they are not happy with the purchase. There would be a time limit (maybe two weeks) before the buy back option would expire. The upper would need to be in the same configuration and condition as it was when they bought it, if I was to buy it back.

I realize somebody could buy it, do a bunch of mag dumps with it, then ask me to buy it back. I doubt that is going to be a problem especially with today's ammo prices.

What do feel would be a reasonable discount percentage to buy it back for? Do any shops in Oregon offer that buy back option.

Last Edited:
Oh great here we go again. Another ADD fueled idea centered around his obsession with ffls and their buying and selling. Start the countdown for the next one in three weeks...

Haven't been on much lately. What's that illiterate garbage about.
Pretty simple. I sell an upper to somebody and if they aren't happy with it, I will buy it back for let's say 90% of what they paid me for it. As far as I am aware most classified sellers, sell as is, no refunds?

You will be depending on someone to keep their word..as well as buying from you with that stipulation.
Both may be a difficult find.

Speaking only for myself....
When I sell or trade a firearm...I consider it gone...and almost zero chance of getting it back.
And while a "buy back" or right of first offer from the new owner can be nice...it is not expected.

I personally think that a such a stipulation is asking a bit much of most buyers and situations.
In any event...I wish you luck
Andy

I am thinking about selling some of my AR uppers. I would like to offer the buyer the option of me buying it back at less than the sale price, if they are not happy with the purchase. There would be a time limit (maybe two weeks) before the buy back option would expire. The upper would need to be in the same configuration and condition as it was when they bought it, if I was to buy it back.

I realize somebody could buy it, do a bunch of mag dumps with it, then ask me to buy it back. I doubt that is going to be a problem especially with today's ammo prices.

What do feel would be a reasonable discount percentage to buy it back for? Do any shops in Oregon offer that buy back option.I

What do feel would be a reasonable discount percentage to buy it back for? Do any shops in Oregon offer that buy back option.
If I sell an item and the buyer finds it defective in any way, I would refund their money. Your intentions are good but they would have no impact on whether I made a purchase from you or not.

If I sell an item and the buyer finds it defective in any way, I would refund their money. Your intentions are good but they would have no impact on whether I made a purchase from you or not.
What if the upper wasn't defective but the buyer changed his mind for other reasons?

What if the upper wasn't defective but the buyer changed his mind for other reasons?
The words you're looking for are "refund" rather than "buy back" and "restocking fee". That's how retailers refer to this kind of policy.

However, most of them wouldn't charge a fee to take back something that is genuinely defective.

The other side of the coin is the buyer had the opportunity to review the purchase and proceeded. In the case of something truly defective that goes back to the original manufacturer not the seller.
I've gotten burned once or twice because I did review closely enough before purchasing. Cost me a bit to fix it. Lesson learned and that seller will not be doing business with me again or with a few of my close friends either.

I think the idea is grand but fraught with potential problems.

In the case of something truly defective that goes back to the original manufacturer not the seller.
I'm using the word "defective" to include "boogered up by the first owner", since we're talking about reselling stuff.

I bought a revolver once with a bulged barrel. That would be a defect, since the seller didn't reveal (or know about it) when asked.

The other side of the coin is the buyer had the opportunity to review the purchase and proceeded. In the case of something truly defective that goes back to the original manufacturer not the seller.
I've gotten burned once or twice because I did review closely enough before purchasing. Cost me a bit to fix it. Lesson learned and that seller will not be doing business with me again or with a few of my close friends either.

I think the idea is grand but fraught with potential problems.
I saw a woman returning a lawn mower to Home Depot. I have to assume she had finished mowing and no longer needed it because it had clearly been used. Call me skeptical.

The words you're looking for are "refund" rather than "buy back" and "restocking fee". That's how retailers refer to this kind of policy.

However, most of them wouldn't charge a fee to take back something that is genuinely defective.
The shop I help out at had a couple come in with a used pistol they recently bought from the shop. They wanted to trade it in on a different (second) pistol they already have on lawaway. All sales are final at the shop. The shop owner offered to buy back the pistol they had already bought, but for much less than they paid.

in my case of an upper sale that the buyer wants to bring back to me, you could call it a partial refund or buying it back for less than the buyer paid. The math would be the same.

I've sold a lot of items I no longer wanted or needed on Ebay. All sales were done with wording that said refunds were only made on defective items or those that were not as described.

I included at least five pics, with a link to more pics. Never got any refund requests, or bubblegumes except for one gal that bought an $8 and paid $15 in shipping (dive weights)... lesson learned there, now shipping is included in the price of item.

If I had a gun shop, I would do buy backs at a lower price and restock the item for sale again. Just like a pawn shop, swaps would be done at a lower value for the returned item.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews