JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the wife and I stopped at a strip mall. As I was exiting my car I glanced into the truck that I parked next to. Not looking for something to steal just looking while I walk by. (situational awareness). Truck was empty. Anyways, saw a handgun between the driver seat and the middle console. Went into the store and was watching to see if I could see the owner getting into the truck. Didn't see the driver before he drove off. If you saw this how would you approach the owner about his carelessness without sounding like a dou**ebag or all righteousness?

I would have had the clerk page on the overhead speakers.

''Would the owner of the silver pickup license number 123 ABC. Please secure the gun that's lying exposed on the front seat. Thank you''.

Then sit back and see what happens next. :s0140:

Good question. My guess is that nobody would deliberately leave a handgun in plain sight in their truck, knowing that it would invite a smashed window and stolen gun. My guess would be truck owner usually carries the gun concealed, but between seat and console when driving, and forgot to restore gun to his ccw holster when leaving truck this time. I think I wouldn't confront him. I would just leave a note under his windshield saying, "Hey, your gun is in plain sight to anyone walking by." I'd sign it "Friendly fellow gun owner". That would cause a little more embarrassment and make the person more likely to remember not to make that mistake.

That's assuming the truck was locked. If it was unlocked, it's totally different, as a kid might come by and notice, and the results might be tragic. I would not want to leave that situation that way. I think I would lock the truck, leave the note, and mention I was worried about a kid getting the gun, so locked the truck.

This idea and approach to life can indeed make life simpler and easier ...and has merit.
It all depends on the situation and the folks involved ....
Andy
Reminds me of one time I was out in the woods, and ran into a game warden. He began talking about reporting poachers, and was telling me how there was this anonymous number I could use to do that. I looked at him silently for a good ten seconds. Then I quietly responded "I think one of the most admirable characteristics a person can have is the ability to mind his or her own business."

This is a tough one! Was it a nice truck or a beat up pile of junk? My thought process is if nice I would approach in a nice way or leave a note. If its a pile of crap then chances are the gun owner doesn't give a pile of rats poop what your opinion is and that is if its not stolen.:confused:

i probably would go about my business and stay out of his.

idk when i was a teen/early 20s we'd ride around with shotguns or rifles in the back window gun rack. still is a normal thing where i live.

i get that it is "careless" but i personally wouldnt approach the owner. in my mind: his gun, his car, his choice to be irresponsible. not your job to tell him otherwise.

I'm a thinking same as v0lcome13sn0w here, especially a nice rural A.O. of the OP, probably been doing the same thing for decades! That said, I wouldn't say any thing, I'm the nunya kind my self, if this person believes his gun is secure, that's his choice and his consiquenses if he is proved wrong, sadly there could be other problems as a result, but I believe it's his mistake to make!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews