JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I think of when we're talking about " gun left in vehicle "

technical_c_dust_cam01.jpg

I think it's entirely fair to expect gun owners to have a lock box / safe storage in their vehicle. There are many times that I need to go into a federal building or secured space where the rule is "no badge, no pew". I don't like leaving a firearm in the car, but it's better than just tossing it into the glove box or center console. Now, keeping firearms in your car overnight? That's a big no-no for me. If one's traveling with firearms, they stay with you and keep the other side (or foot) of the bed warm.

Show me one place in that article that was common ground? It was one big article justifying more storage laws.

And no it should not be illegal or irresponsible to secure a gun in a car, anyone who carries or transports guns should know why.

Its as if gun owners forget a vehicle IS a locked container.

Why isnt the article promoting criminal prosecution?

Its always the same sick scenario, Everyone is the bad guy, except the bad guy! Common ground, arbitration, diplomacy always ends up crapping on the guy in the right, in order make something crummy temporarily go away.
Bring on the speed bumps, taxes, fees, and regulations. That'll fix things and can be put on a resume that something was done. For sure we will see much more. But It changes nothing, except breed mistrust, then distrust, and eventually rejection of Government, neighbors, different opinions. Always creates an us and them situation.
This is good? I cannot see a defense for such regulation. Many of the cars stolen are used in crimes or involved in accidents causing injury or death, likely more so than guns left in vehicles, yet the same penalties are not applied to automobile owners, just gun owners. I find that, and similar situations, completely political and hypocritical. Always the same, can't fix the problem, so just point fingers and move on. I see no difference from jailing the farmer when his cows were stolen, because we cant stop thieves, but if he had no cows, the thief wouldn't been tempted.

I doubt cheap lock boxes will have much impact on gun thefts from vehicles - thieves will just adapt.

Having a law that a gun left in a vehicle has to be in a locked container, glove box or console? Did the author not read their own statement that this is where the thieves are looking for guns?

Many people leave their guns in their vehicles because it is illegal (or at least against workplace policy) for them to carry concealed. If it wasn't illegal or they wouldn't get fired, they would go ahead and carry concealed instead of leaving the gun in the vehicle.

I doubt cheap lock boxes will have much impact on gun thefts from vehicles - thieves will just adapt.
They stop the smash and grab thieves but thats it. For their cost they are not a bad idea as well as if traveling with kids in the vehicle and guest lodging.

Don't leave anything of value in or on your vehicle including your catalytic converter or in your house. Private property is so passe. Today's culture is everybody's stuff is everybody's stuff.

If my carry is in my locked vehicle then the vehicle is in my line of sight. Otherwise I'll take a bag if I have to and sling it over a shoulder (if I can't conceal it for whatever reason).

I don't go into federal buildings much but when I do I leave it at home and stash my knife/knives in the vehicle till I'm back in it. I don't own high end knives so if my stuff is stolen my knives are going to probably be the cheapest things to replace.

Ultimately you gotta do what feels best for you imo.

Personally, I see no room for "common ground". There is no "compromise" when all of the burden and consequences lay on the gun owner. IOW, gun owners give up freedoms and face potential consequences if their efforts are underminded (thieves are crafty and adaptable) and the other side gives up what exactly?

By definition... one side giving and the other receiving is not in any way a "compromise".

Requiring further burdensome costs and processes to exercise a right is not what it says in the "Welcome to the U.S. brochure".

In the event your firearm is secured within your vehicle and you suddenly have a need for it.... IE., you unlock your vehicle and are suddenly faced with a car jacking... how exactly are you supposed to defend yourself if your firearm is locked in one box and your ammo is locked up in another? Ohh... that's right... vehicles are "safety zones". No one is allowed to assault you around, next to or within your private vehicle. I forgot.....

How about make firearm thefts more severely punishable than just treating them as a simply property theft? Then USE it to actually arrest, prosecute and jail offenders. There's an idea I would be able to find some "common ground" on.

As noted in post # 33 ....
It is damn near impossible to find "common ground" with folks who just want to take and not give anything in return.

We already have 20,000 odd gun laws in place...
How is one more going to do anything different...?

Common ground in the case of the OP should be :
Neither side wants property stolen....
Both sides want safety with firearms*....

Common ground could be :
Incentives for purchase / tax free purchases of lock boxes for vehicles....
Enforcing existing laws for crimes committed....

Common ground needs to be found , if the desired outcome is to actually work together.
As well as helping do what is best for the American people...
And not what is best to keep one in office or other self-serving interests.

* I do think that some folks who agree with firearm restrictions , bans and the like , do so from an honest desire for safety...
At least from their perspective of safety.
However...
I also think that many , if not most people who use the term "firearm safety" , use it to further their own self interest and personal agenda.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top