JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If this thread belongs elsewhere, please movie it.

"U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of private guns, ammunition, explosives and property the National Guard may need to respond to Hurricane Irma. Mapp signed the order Monday in preparation for Hurricane Irma. The order allows the Adjutant General of the Virgin Islands to seize private property they believe necessary to protect the islands, subject to approval by the territory's Justice Department. Mapp issued an emergency declaration Tuesday and mobilized National Guard units to prepare for the massive storm. 'This is not an opportunity to go outside and try to have fun with a hurricane,' Mapp said. 'It's not time to get on a surfboard.'"

This seems like a gross misuse of the office of the governor, but I don't see in the order where it says seizure of "private" arms, ammo, etc. Are they planning on going door to door? Having a "gun buyback for hurricane supplies" event? I'm worried how this will play out. So many of us believe they've been wanting to do this for years, and they deny it. Now that it's in writing, are we going to see our worst fears realized? Keep an eye on the Caribbean. I'm sure kate brown is.

Virgin Islands Allows National Guard To Seize Guns, Ammo Ahead Of Hurricane Irma

http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/NATL-GUARD.pdf

This seems like something that should be all over the front page of sites like RedState... we'll see if anyone cares enough to act on my headsup, or they ignore it like they did my warning on the "Red Guard" movement that's become the Antif*ckwads.

... do territories and possessions have the same constitutional rights as CONUS?

If so, where do we get suspending the constitution just because of a natural disaster?

if they are considered US citizens, then I would assume the Constitution would apply to them, after all it applies to some bugger hopping a fence.

They went door to door after Katrina. Unless your state specifically outlaws confiscation during a state of emergency you better believe taking up guns will be the first thing they do. I don't care what party your governor is loyal to or if they have an A rating from the NRA.

They went door to door after Katrina. Unless your state specifically outlaws confiscation during a state of emergency you better believe taking up guns will be the first thing they do. I don't care what party your governor is loyal to or if they have an A rating from the NRA.

They won't be taking mine! just sayin:rolleyes:

The Daily Caller reports, in response to Hurricane Irma, Governor of U.S. Virgin Islands signed order allowing seizure of privately owned guns, ammunition, explosives and private property necessary to protect the Islands.

Dailycaller.com/2017/09/05/virgin-islands-allows-national-guard-to-seize-guns-ammo-ahead-of-hurricane-Irma/

Virgin Islands Allows National Guard To Seize Guns, Ammo Ahead Of Hurricane Irma

I am not sure if a US territory like the US VIrgin Islands is under the same laws as the rest of our states; however, any US territory authorizing the seizure of people's guns and ammo is an abomination that still sends shivers down my spine and worries me that it can extend to the rest of the country. DOes anyone know if US VIrgin Islands is considered under the same US Constitutional laws and Bill of Rights as the rest of the 50 states in our country? If so, how can the 2nd Amendment be stripped away in a time of emergency, when this is a time, more than ever, citizens should definitely need their guns?

All I know is that if Governor Jay Inslee declared a State of Emergency and demanded everyone turn in their guns and ammo or authorized National Guard seizures, I would not want to comply. This would more or less equate to living in a fascist society with no laws or civil protections. Many vile dictators around the world used "emergencies" as means to commit all types of atrocities. Hitler, himself, took advantage of all types of "Emergency Measures" to "Temporarily" strip German citizens of their rights, such as Nuremberg laws and Nazi gun confiscation laws.

Anyway, I just heard this news from a friend and found it very disturbing. Considering the largest hurricane possibly ever recorded in a century is possibly going to hit Miami or other South Florida cities head on, I worry if these type of measures may be imposed in FLorida. Although, I think the Governor of FLorida is pretty pro-gun and freedom minded, so I am not as worried, but still the fact that governors of US territories can authorize gun seizures using our US military to me is an act of treason against the people of our country. Sending National Guard troops to seize Americans and other residents of our territory sends a message that our 2nd Amendment is expendable.

Last Edited:
Do they have a registry there? How do they know who has em? Seems to me like being islands and all, there has to be a huge number of boating accidents.

@slimer13 They have mandatory registration, probably a holdover from their British colonial days--they only became US territory as part of a US/UK "Destroyers For Bases" swap on the eve of WWII.

I say we give 'em back...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads