JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have played with a lot of combos for brass amounts, soaps, waxes etc. and have found this to be the best for me.

I use a FA tumbler with the 5 pounds of pins provided with the kit. I add 10 pounds of brass and fill with water to the neck. These brings the load up to 28 pounds, which is nicely just below the 30 pound recommenced maximum weight. (By the way, fill with water first then add detergent / Lemi-shine otherwise you get suds flowing out the top)

I wash in two steps. The first round I use about a half tablespoon of Dawn and about a 9mm case of citric acid (Lemi shine). Any more detergent and you get excess suds and the rinse takes longer. I started with more citric acid and reduced it bit by bit until the cases came out darker than I like, then bumped it back up until the cases then brightened up. This amount happened to be just a bit more than a 9mm case which makes measuring easy. I fill the 9mm case over the open drum and then let just a bit extra more spill over. It's fast and gives me the right amount. Adding more does not increase cleaning / brightness and there is the potential risk of zinc leaching due to the excess acid.

I then tumble for an hour or two depending on how dirty the brass is. More detergent does not make very dirty brass clean faster by the way, so I quit adding more detergent on dirty brass reducing rinse time and cost. I just bump the time.

I then use the accessory screens that FA sells. (Rabbit trail … they should come with the tumbler). I give the brass a thorough rinse at this time. They are now very clean with perhaps a trace of stuff still in the pockets, but not usually.

I then refill the drum and once again add citric acid and now a wax containing car wash detergent. I'm presently using Meguire's but any will do. Only a tiny amount is necessary as the brass is now clean, all you really want to to get a wax coating a few microns thick. I run this for about a half hour or so to knock off any remaining dirt and to give the brass the wax coating.

I then use a FA separator to remove the pins. The water in the separator provides a good final rinse to the brass. Then it's off to a Lyman Case Dryer, which is the perfect size to accept a full drum of brass.

The reason I do this in two steps is that I want the wax to be applied to a very clean surface. Does it really make a difference over those who just use wax bearing detergent from the beginning? I don't know but doing things my way has, for me at least, resulted in the best looking brass in the shortest amount of time.

I like the wax coating because the brass will not tarnish over time. I can see unwaxed brass begin to darken within a couple of days if left out in the open air. The wax also smooths the movement through sizing dies and over expander / belling mandrels eliminating the sticking on the expander that otherwise happens with clean cases. Since the wax layer is only a few molecules thick, it won't affect any other aspect of the ammo.

I also think the waxed rounds drop into my revolver cylinder a tiny bit faster when I'm shooting ICORE. This is probably all in my mind, but anything helps when competing.

So that's my method … hope it helps!

Yep. I'm sticking with the meguires and pinch of lemi shine. This last batch came out as bright as bright can be an looked amazing. I'm hooked.. Just threw some of the other stuff in with 4tbsp of meguires and a pinch lemi shine without the pins. Gonna see if that makes it like this last batch.

Since I have always been a meguires fan since I was 15ish I have plenty of meguires stuff laying around. I haven't used anytjing else since going with meguires. Now what to do with this almost full bag of FA brass pods. Probably just end up using them for the initial wash after the range. Who knows. We shall see.

Thanks for all the help, advice and comments,
James

Yep. I'm sticking with the meguires and pinch of lemi shine. This last batch came out as bright as bright can be an looked amazing. I'm hooked.. Just threw some of the other stuff in with 4tbsp of meguires and a pinch lemi shine without the pins. Gonna see if that makes it like this last batch.

Since I have always been a meguires fan since I was 15ish I have plenty of meguires stuff laying around. I haven't used anytjing else since going with meguires. Now what to do with this almost full bag of FA brass pods. Probably just end up using them for the initial wash after the range. Who knows. We shall see.

Thanks for all the help, advice and comments,
James
Good to know. I've got several of those pods to use up too. I really like them, but I'll try out the Meguires after this. Sounds like a lot of benefit with little drawback.

So here's my recipe, "no lemi-shine" as you can see in the photos I don't need it. Just dawn and water for 2 hours. I did however buy a bag of the small stainless chips and mixed them with the pins for fantastic results. I can see my reflection on the inside of the rifle brass.
brass1.jpg brass2.jpg
brass3.jpg brass4.jpg

Just a little feedback. I got a big jug of turtle wax car wash (with carnuba wax) and used 40ml of it with a little dawn and Lemishine. This was cleaning 250 .223 cases in the Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler no pins, and about 3/4 full with water.

Super bright and man o man!! The Bullets seated slicker than snot! Super smooth! So smooth I had to double check by pressing a couple against the bench top to make sure they weren't going to move easily in the neck. No movement! I think I'm hooked!!

I recently had my resolve to anneal all rifle brass after wet tumbling strengthened.

I went out a few days ago and shot my old Arisaka. I don't shoot it very often, so I had a box of ammo that I'd loaded before I started wet tumbling everything, and some that had been wet tumbled but not annealed. Otherwise they were the same. 70% of the wet tumbled rounds cracked at the necks upon shooting.

Over the last year or so I've been finding this, in several different rifle calibers. I've had cracked necks on old brass from time to time, but nothing like what I've been finding after wet tumbling. I suspect that I've got other surprises to find, in my stash of odd-ball ammo that I don't shoot often. I've noticed that some reloaded brass doesn't hold up well to just sitting for years and years, and you get cracked necks. Wet tumbling seems to really speed that process up, for whatever reason. Just a heads-up, something to consider if you plan on loading some rifle rounds to store away for a while. You might want to seriously consider annealing them first.

Like I said in a previous post, I'll still wet tumble, but I'll anneal all rifle brass before loading.

I recently had my resolve to anneal all rifle brass after wet tumbling strengthened.

I went out a few days ago and shot my old Arisaka. I don't shoot it very often, so I had a box of ammo that I'd loaded before I started wet tumbling everything, and some that had been wet tumbled but not annealed. Otherwise they were the same. 70% of the wet tumbled rounds cracked at the necks upon shooting.

Over the last year or so I've been finding this, in several different rifle calibers. I've had cracked necks on old brass from time to time, but nothing like what I've been finding after wet tumbling. I suspect that I've got other surprises to find, in my stash of odd-ball ammo that I don't shoot often. I've noticed that some reloaded brass doesn't hold up well to just sitting for years and years, and you get cracked necks. Wet tumbling seems to really speed that process up, for whatever reason. Just a heads-up, something to consider if you plan on loading some rifle rounds to store away for a while. You might want to seriously consider annealing them first.

Like I said in a previous post, I'll still wet tumble, but I'll anneal all rifle brass before loading.
Sometimes I anneal right before wet tumbling, sometimes I anneal after. Hopefully the annealing is often enough either way to keep the cracking from happening. I know the guys at AMP annealing did tests and didn't find any hardening of the brass after wet tumbling.

Last Edited:
I did read that article where they did that, and I can't really argue with their results, but I've been having different results of my own for a while now. How and why this happens, I don't know. I just know that in the past, I'd load some ammo, set it on the shelf for a year or two, and rarely have cracks. With wet-tumbled brass, I'll do the same and have an inordinate amount of cracks. I haven't noticed a problem with ammo that doesn't sit for a while.

I did read that article where they did that, and I can't really argue with their results, but I've been having different results of my own for a while now. How and why this happens, I don't know. I just know that in the past, I'd load some ammo, set it on the shelf for a year or two, and rarely have cracks. With wet-tumbled brass, I'll do the same and have an inordinate amount of cracks. I haven't noticed a problem with ammo that doesn't sit for a while.
Do you think it has anything to do with using lemishine or the amount of lemishine being used?

Honestly I don't know. I've read several places that lemishine won't hurt the brass, especially in concentration that doesn't discolor it. I used to use more lemishine than I do now, but never enough to discolor the brass.

Any chance there is ammonia in some of your cleaning chemicals??
From Wikipedia;

Brass - Wikipedia

Season cracking[edit]
220px-BrassSCC1.jpg
Cracking in brass caused by ammonia attack
Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking,[29] especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridges used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the British Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, thus initiating brittle cracks. The problem was resolved by annealing the cases, and storing the cartridges elsewhere.

I really can't prove one way or the other what's causing this problem. I've heard other reports of the same thing, and also heard other people say that it can't be caused by wet tumbling, yet it sure seems to be.

Honestly I don't know. My solution for now is just to anneal all rifle brass. Time will tell I guess. I'll put some ammo on the shelf and shoot it in a year or two, and see if it cracks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top