JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In my quest to make reloading mimic art, I decided to wet tumble some 7.62x39 cases last week and see if rust or oxidation showed up. One week later no rust or corrosion has showed up.
The cases are a bit brighter and have more shine as well as a "slicker" feel to them. I'm looking forward to reloading them. Still not as nice looking as brass, but not ugly either!
Top row has been SS pin wet tumbled, primer pockets are clean as is the inside of the case. Bottom row is corn cob vibrate only.
IMG_3974.jpg

In my quest to make reloading mimic art, I decided to wet tumble some 7.62x39 cases last week and see if rust or oxidation showed up. One week later no rust or corrosion has showed up.
The cases are a bit brighter and have more shine as well as a "slicker" feel to them. I'm looking forward to reloading them. Still not as nice looking as brass, but not ugly either!
Top row has been SS pin wet tumbled, primer pockets are clean as is the inside of the case. Bottom row is corn cob vibrate only.
View attachment 1195844
Are you going to re lacquer them if you load them?

No lacquer for me. If they stay nice and bright, probably no need. Just playing around with a few hundred steel cases to see how they hold up to the elements. I've loaded bunches of them but never tumbled them. A forum member asked me if they rusted after wet tumbling.

Steel cases will create unnecessary wear on your dies.
You might get away with it for a while. You will eventually have problems. Just be aware of this.
See how many reloads you get out of them. I would guess 3-4. I really don't know.

Berdan primed.

I use two sets of dies, one for brass and one for steel cases.

I maybe get two reloads. I don't bother to pick them up, hard to see in the brush.

So, I did decide to lacquer my steel cases after all. I think it's a good idea since I got them so shiny in my new wet tumbler. I applied two light coats and all seem to pass the case gauge. These are 7.62x39 Russian steel cases.

View attachment 1195844
I like it. I probably wouldn't do it, though I have in the past, and I certainly wouldn't knock a fellow tinkerer! :)

People say Why? I say Why not? If you've got the common sense and understanding to do it safely, what's wrong with it? Sure, it may be a waste of time to most, but it's your time to waste if you want. Thank you for posting about it.

Well, I do spend time on the steel cases but I spend MORE on the brass cases I reload. Brass needs to be trimmed from time to time. Steel does not. After trimming I need to do a couple more steps that I don't do to the steel cases. I do believe that brass shoots better long range, but inside of 200 yards (7.62x39) it makes no difference. I shoot inside of 100 yards most of the time so steel is just as good and I don't worry about spent cases hiding in the next county. I have a decent amount of components to reload Berdan steel cases so I do it. Besides, I do love me some shiny steel cases!

That being said, when and if 7.62x39 gets below $200.00/1,000 again, I'll put reloading it (steel) on the back burner. I will continue to load brass Boxer and Berdan primed 7.62x39.

I am applying two coats of lacquer after I prime the case. I also have a bunch ready to prime but I hit the primer pocket a bit heavily. After I clean the steel most of the factory finish is gone. I dry and apply lacquer ASAP.

Not sure so many panic when someone tries a bit of experimental reloading.
Do you add car wash soap with wax to your wet tumble? Might help keep oxidation down.
Really works on brass.

I've not tried that yet DeadGuyAle, I'll be tumbling some .223 this evening and I'll give that a whorl.

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads