JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you're going to reload, you have to have a tumbler, right? No, not necessarily. I've helped a number of friends get set up to reload over the last couple decades. Many if not most of them didn't stick with it, but that's beside the point.

What are the basic necessary tools to start reloading? If you just want to load a few rounds now and then, try it out and see how you like it, then it doesn't take much. If you're an experienced engineer with money to burn, who dives head first into new things and loves shiny new mechanical toys, then it takes a room full of expensive automated machinery, but that's beside the point too.

Anyhow, everyone seems to think that you need a tumbler, that you can't make nice looking and fully functional ammo without one. I picked up this 9mm brass at the range yesterday, and gave it the usual wash that I give all range brass when I get home- a bucket full of warm water with some Dawn and a little Lemishine. Mix them good for a few minutes wearing latex gloves (there are trace amounts of lead in there), rinse and do it again, sometimes a third time. It only takes a few times, then dry them on an old towel. I've owned and used tumblers for a very long time, and I do like shiny clean brass, but the brass in this photo is perfectly good enough to use without further cleaning in a tumbler.

I was recently helping another friend with reloading, and showed this to him. For the small amount that he will reload, at least to start, he was surprised to see that he really didn't need to spend money on a tumbler right now.

IMG_6388[1].jpg

As long as all the dirt and grit are removed is the main thing.

To me, tumblers aren't that expensive for what they do and the volume they can do.

Agreed though there are less expensive ways to accomplish things if one wants to save a little money.

I reloaded a lot of ammo with just washed and dried brass. But I like to drive a clean truck, and I like clean brass.

It does not shoot any faster or more accurate, but cleaning does expose any defects in range pickup brass. I will keep tumbling. DR

Exactly, I agree. I like my brass shiny like new, inside and out, and I do use a tumbler to accomplish that. Wet stainless tumbling was revolutionary, and I love it, haven't used my old vibrating tumblers in years.

My point is just that so many people are convinced that you have to have a tumbler, just to get started. It's a nice tool to have, but not really essential.

I got rid of all my vibrating tumblers and I wish I hadn't for the occasional odd use. Oh well.
When I'm really in a rush to load a dozen or so pieces of dirty brass, I'll deprime, clean the neck with #0 steel wool or green scotch-brite, and wipe down the outside of the case. i just don't want dirty brass in my resizing die.

Edit to add, before I discovered wet tumbling with pins, I used an ultrasonic cleaner for a few months with very satisfactory results.

My first tumbler I built using a coffee can with the lid taped on for the barrel and the rollers were from a wringer washing machine. I made the pillow blocks out of Oak. I found the motor somewhere. The pulleys were the only thing I bought and got those from Granger.

I agree a tumbler is not essential to beginning reloading but IF the person stays interested and continues to load more it will be.

When I first started I tried several different ways to clean brass and stumbled on a method that actually worked pretty good.

I found a heavy cheesecloth cotton bag and dumped my cases in it, tied it off and threw it into the washing machine with other clothes. Surprisingly the brass came out pretty nice and smooth.

I agree a tumbler is not essential to beginning reloading but IF the person stays interested and continues to load more it will be.

When I first started I tried several different ways to clean brass and stumbled on a method that actually worked pretty good.

I found a heavy cheesecloth cotton bag and dumped my cases in it, tied it off and threw it into the washing machine with other clothes. Surprisingly the brass came out pretty nice and smooth.
Doing a bunch would be labor intensive, but "Never Dull" from the military day's, does wonders on brass, & most metal for that matter.
Unless you could adapt it to a small dremel & concoct some lil holder for casing, then wouldn't be too bad.
I've kept a big can on hand since I got out, to this day.
Sh!t lasts longer than that Nasty Nancy P down in Commiefornia

20240211_161719.jpg 20240211_161740.jpg

Last Edited:

I used to have this polished up before I painted it. 76mm round I used to load for firing.
Brought home for father, for a garage ashtray back in 90s. Thinking I'm gonna strip paint back off & brass it back up.
Probably few hundred 50 cal bmg casings & same for 40mm Mk 19 grenade casings, still in the belts.
Seems like I might of grabbed some 25mm chain gun casings, too. I'll have to look.

20240211_162551.jpg 20240211_162510.jpg 20240211_164616.jpg

Last Edited:
Doing a bunch would be labor intensive, but "Never Dull" from the military day's, does wonders on brass, & most metal for that matter.
Unless you could adapt it to a small dremel & concoct some lil holder for casing, then wouldn't be too bad.
I have used Never Dull for many things but I cannot imagine cleaning cases (even just a few) with it.

Trying to adapt it to a Dremel and something to hold it with sounds even worse. Also you would still need to wash the cases to remove the oily residue the Never Dull leaves.

Heck if, nothing else the OPs idea of Dawn & Lemishine shaken around ain't a bad (non-tumbler) way of cleaning cases.

I have used Never Dull for many things but I cannot imagine cleaning cases (even just a few) with it.

Trying to adapt it to a Dremel and something to hold it with sounds even worse. Also you would still need to wash the cases to remove the oily residue the Never Dull leaves.

Heck if, nothing else the OPs idea of Dawn & Lemishine shaken around ain't a bad (non-tumbler) way of cleaning cases.
I also did lotsa boots/dress shoe shining, for $25 per shoe/boot, especially for inspections. Was 1 of the fastest & most thorough shiners anywhere I was stationed. It's how I became quite ambidextrous in my left arm/hand. Otherwise I'd probably handicapped my own arm.

For many years, I didn't bother with washing (or further cleaning) my pistol brass to make it shiny. The used brass was picked up off of the ground and was reloaded using a CARBIDE die set. In other words, I didn't worry too much about it.

It doesn't have to glint in the sun to be GTG.

For the times when I wanted clean and shiny brass, I used Birchwood Casey brass cleaner solution (diluted to instructions). Just wash, rinse and spread them on an old towel and dry them in the sun.

BTW.....
I've occasionally used the vibratory method. Though now a days I have switched to the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with SS pins method.

Aloha, Mark

For many years, I didn't bother with washing (or further cleaning) my pistol brass to make it shiny. The used brass was picked up off of the ground and was reloaded using a CARBIDE die set. In other words, I didn't worry too much about it.

It doesn't have to glint in the sun to be GTG.

For the times when I wanted clean and shiny brass, I used Birchwood Casey brass cleaner solution (diluted to instructions). Just wash, rinse and spread them on an old towel and dry them in the sun.

BTW.....
I've occasionally used the vibratory method. Though now a days I have switched to the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler with SS pins method.

Aloha, Mark
Thing about that "Magic Wadding Polish" is that it creates a protection barrier for brass, essentially making it much easier to clean for the duration of it's service lifetime. Perhaps the smooth finish being slightly advantageous when it comes to feed operation of semi/auto, or any feed function for that matter.

Try doing this much with Never Dull and tell me how it works out for you.

View attachment 1821207
Before I cross-rated from fleet Navy, to CB's, I spent a year & few months at these two places.
Most thought they shined all the brass on the planet, by the time you're on to next wtf ever. lol
Notice the ASU base pix at top of page with those 3 LARGE brass emblems. HAHA
Imagine shining just those.

Before I cross-rated from fleet Navy, to CB's, I spent a year & few months at these two places.
Most thought they shined all the brass on the planet, by the time you're on to next wtf ever. lol
Notice the ASU base pix at top of page with those 3 LARGE brass emblems. HAHA
Imagine shining just those.
Mind you, that's the worse piss-poor representation I've seen for military brass, especially for that area with officer's galore, & all the "Important" folk that would visit there. When I was in/there, you rarely could look at brass, without the sun gleaming & blinding you. It was the standard. Those emblems don't appear to have been Never Dulled in some time, oddly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top