JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at puting together a couple trauma kits. Mostely i want to be able to keep a person alive if I'm out in the woods until I can get EMS services to them. I have some idea what I want to put in them but would gadly take advice from anyone that wants to give it. situations I'm looking at are broken bones, deep cuts, gunshot wounds, head trauma, heat stroke, and basicly anything else that could be life threatning.

Thanks for the input
J.P.

QuickClot
Duct Tape
Silver Nitrate Sticks
Dermabond or Superglue
Artificial Airway
Adrenalin Shots
Morphine (Oral) can be obtained in small doses for trauma kits with permissive use
Diamox or Pamprin (High Altitude Meds)
Rolly Aluminum Splint
Gauze
Saran Wrap
Ball point Pen
Knife
Sat Phone
latex or nitrile gloves

....some training is better than none

I picked up a military medic bag full of gear(I added a few things to it) and a book called Ditch Medicine from an Expo Center Gun Show. The book is great, very detailed instruction on "in the field" trauma care.

You also need a way to contact help as most cell phones won't work in the woods,
also a GPS to tell someone where you are located. I have even thought about this
item.http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Maybe I should make a new thread about the SPOT - but has anyone on here used one? I would be interested in some reviews.

I've seen mixed reviews on the REI customer comments, but some people expect the world from a tiny little box that is sending signals thousands of miles through air....

I've heard mixed reviews also that's why I put I have thought about one of these. One thing I know I don't like about it is there is no conformation that anyone got your message for help.

some nitro for heart attacks and a needle to release air from a sucking chest wound. Israeli bandage, blood clotter agent, antiseptic, understanding of CPR and first aid. BTW, all chest wounds suck. John Farnham has a list that is short but very complete.

No one should be administering any medications to any patients unless you're a paramedic. It's a quick way to send you to jail and make you poor after the malpractice/practicing medicine without a license suit.

No one should be administering any medications to any patients unless you're a paramedic. It's a quick way to send you to jail and make you poor after the malpractice/practicing medicine without a license suit.
I was about to say that but u beat me too it. If u have not been trained to use it or do it than dont. Drugs can have some very bad effects on some people.
Some nitro for heart attacks and a needle to release air from a sucking chest wound. Israeli bandage, blood clotter agent, antiseptic, understanding of CPR and first aid. BTW, all chest wounds suck. John Farnham has a list that is short but very complete.
If some one is having a heart attack and it is affecting certain parts of the heart and u give them nitro, You could make their already bad problem worse. The other thing is dont do something that u have no training in. First if all not all chest wounds suck ( If u were trying to be funny sorry for being serious) the best thing to do for a chest wound is to cover it with some sort of plastic or foil and tape it down on 3 sides. Second The only time u stick a needle in someones chest when they have a chest wound is when they r having difficulty breathing. Because they proably have a hemo or a pneumo forming. If u know what those r and the signs of them than treat it?!DONT DO ANYTHING THAT IS GONNA KILL YOUR BUDDY OR GET U INTO A LAWSUIT. I teach classes to sawyers and fallers every fire season if u have any questions just ask!!!!!!

Horse wrap. You get the stuff at your local feed store for about .97 a roll. Comes in different colors and is the very same stuff medics use to wrap your arm after giving blood or general warping of body parts. Think of it as the ace bandage that sticks to itself and made by 3M.

SF-

I was about to say that but u beat me too it. If u have not been trained to use it or do it than dont. Drugs can have some very bad effects on some people.

If some one is having a heart attack and it is affecting certain parts of the heart and u give them nitro, You could make their already bad problem worse. The other thing is dont do something that u have no training in. First if all not all chest wounds suck ( If u were trying to be funny sorry for being serious) the best thing to do for a chest wound is to cover it with some sort of plastic or foil and tape it down on 3 sides. Second The only time u stick a needle in someones chest when they have a chest wound is when they r having difficulty breathing. Because they proably have a hemo or a pneumo forming. If u know what those r and the signs of them than treat it?!DONT DO ANYTHING THAT IS GONNA KILL YOUR BUDDY OR GET U INTO A LAWSUIT. I teach classes to sawyers and fallers every fire season if u have any questions just ask!!!!!!

All chest wounds suck
I was trying to inject some humor into the topic. :s0114:

I understood the OP as to what makes a good trauma kit. Of course, if one has little or zero training then they should have only what they can deal with. For those who have had training, the other things are a good thing to have. Of course, if medical help is reasonably close, calling 911 is the best thing to do. What I have in my bag may be different than what is in your bag. Common sense should be applied always. Know your limitations and training.

I was not sure if u were being funny or not. There r lots of new poeple on here that have not medical training at all. So they might not what u said as a joke. It's all good. No hard feelings.

Sucking chest wounds need a couple of pieces of plastic and tape. Compression dressings help as well to control the bleeding.
Tape all 4 sides of the exit wound to seal it. On the entrance wound side tape 3 sides leaving the open side towards the navel. When it's hard to breath, have patient inhale deeply, you then lift the untaped side to let air out. It may require you to "burp" the wound if it's starting to clot. Just use your finger to reopen the entrance wound after an exhale. Then retry the lifting. Use bandages to control bleeding and treat for shock (always place patient on wound side down to keep good lung clear).

Don't forget antibiotics. Seems like the injuries I come across in the woods are deep cuts, strains and broken bones. The deep cuts and animal bites are the type that need antbiotics. I have Tetracycline and Penicillin in my first aid kit.

Don't forget to be up to date on your Tet**** shot!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews