JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm all for letting people do what they want but I guess that means I'll simply stop answering their respective questions and reduce my Footprint here. :):):)

I'm all for letting people do what they want but I guess that means I'll simply stop answering their respective questions and reduce my Footprint here. :):):)
Let's continue to motivate folks to do research and you're right they should be doing that. Sometimes a gentle reminder can help too.

Thank you for hearing me out Good Sir.

I know this is a VERY, VERY, VERY Moldie Oldie Thread but then so am I. This might be cross Posted in the Prepers Section and maybe a few others but I'm not sure how to do that maybe a Mod can help.

:)I don't see much of a point to repeating myself since he's covered it pretty well. :):):)

If you don't get at least some type of Training then I suggest you don't consider making up such a Kit unless you will be with someone who is WELL Trained!!! :):):)

Pretty good list, I'd throw in a decompression catheter and compression H-bandage

I know this is a VERY, VERY, VERY Moldie Oldie Thread but then so am I. This might be cross Posted in the Prepers Section and maybe a few others but I'm not sure how to do that maybe a Mod can help.

At least I bothered to Search for older Threads. They're certainly a BIG Bunch of people who can't seem to be Bothered. They don't even Bother to scan the Thread for answers. This is called LAZY!!! :mad::mad::mad:
I am appreciative that you took the time to dig up the list.

My training began in Scout programs
went forward in the Civil Air Patrol in my teens
continued on in the Marines
advanced to EMT within the volunteer fire

Marines teach basic first aid as immediate action
Call for help
Stop the Bleeding (direct pressure on wound, pressure points)
Start the Breathing (clear airway, chest compression)
Protect the Wound (don't step on victim's face, Stomper)
Treat for Shock (elevate leg(s) above level of heart so blood gets to brain)

Extras
flood wound with hydrogen peroxide
scrub wound to get foreign FOD ickies out
with 4x4 gauze sponges

Go for help.

Know that even when you do all the right stuff, someone dies.
When that happens, note the date and time, don't do any more, or try to cleanup.
Guard the scene until relieved by Authorities Having Jurisdiction (LEO, Coroner or higher).
Write down what you observed and did, names etc of observers helpers.
Keep all original notes, photos for your personal defense only.
Offer copies to Authorities

Be careful how you divulge information. It may be treated as a crime scene and you may be treated as a criminal.

Hunting in the mountains, evening, old rancher slipped his truck off the road and rolled. Was ejected from his truck. Had some cash in his pocket, was spread out in the snow. His insides were severely messed up. Hunter and friends discovered the wreck rendered aid, sent for help. Rancher died. When cops showed up and saw money all over, accused hunter of theft, maybe murder. Took a while for County Attourney to sense of the crap

Last Edited:
Duct tape....period!

If you can duct it, f$ck it!
Lol.

I was certified in search in rescue in Oregon in a Explorer post many many many moons ago. I feel pretty confident in basic first aid, even some trauma aid.

Unless someone blows off an arm or leg, or they are guahing blood (artery) you don't want to do a tourniquet.

I usually carry the following:
Tourniquet
Clotting sponges
Some "horse bandages" but the human kind
Bandaids
Israeli bandage
Some gauze rolls
Small roll of duct tape
Nitrile gloves
Small signal flare.
Ace bandage

I'm not a doctor. If in the woods I'll try to keep someone alive, and/or help them get out.
I'm not out there to perform surgery.

Chances are, with a major traumatic injury in the woods, you're a couple hours (at best) from getting medical professionals to you.
Your probably going to die. Bring a pocket bible, and note pad for their last will and testament.

Hard to believe I missed this thread before... even harder to believe that no one mentioned emergency blanket. Those silver reflective light weight ones. Dual purpose, reflects the heat back to you and can be used to signal over head.

Hard to believe I missed this thread before... even harder to believe that no one mentioned emergency blanket. Those silver reflective light weight ones. Dual purpose, reflects the heat back to you and can be used to signal over head.

I do have a few of those. I have the cheap tin foil ones in a kit and a heavy duty one thats like a tarp, red on one side and metallic on the other.

A whistle doesn't hurt either.

Also paracord.

In defence of @KKG the search function here dosnt work right if at all, so searching old threads kind of sukz!
All that said:
We need to be welcoming to all, and we need to take the time and effort to help EVERY ONE here, new and old alike, its what makes this forum the best on the web!

Carry On!:)

Ura-ki;

The Search function actually does work pretty well. That's how I could look for old Threads and found this one. Not too easy to use and maybe that's what is wrong with it. I'm not the Techy type so have NO idea how or what to fix but JoeLink has the Technical smarts to fix most of the issues. Maybe, he needs to take a closer look. :):):)

I think a larger issue is that new folks don't realize we even have a search feature, I was reminded of that this morning by @11Charlie. So sometimes a gentle nudge from our more experienced members can be quite helpful to all.

Absolutely no way on the decompression. That is ALS level stuff and no one should be sticking those into people without serious training.

You pack your bag and I'll pack mine. The entire concept of an IFAK is not necessarily for the wounded to treat themselves, but for someone with the know how (such as a medic or other professional) to have supplies on hand for treatment. Tension pneumothorax is a legit concern with gun shot wounds and other severe trauma, such as auto accidents. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Doesn't every forum on the planet have one?
I've only ever joined 2 in my life. This one and ADV rider (Motorcycle forum)
I joined this one first and it took me about a month to figure out it had a search tool and I probably asked dumb questions, I still probably do from time to time. That said I was never made to feel like the idiot for asking very common and much discussed questions, I was welcomed and everyone made me feel welcome so I stayed. My 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top