Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

train travel

Reactions
What type of violation is it if you do?
Federal law prohibits it , unless you deliver it to the conductor, under Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 Section 922 subsection e. Nothing says they have to accept it however and it only applies to interstate not intrastate transport.

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

Joe Link

Reactions
Ah, you are good at reading codes :D

Do you know if Washington and/or Oregon law prohibits it for intrastate travel?

Reactions
Although I know Wa codes very well I am not very up to date with Oregon laws. I Have never seen any state or local laws that prohibit it.

Reactions
I would hate to be the test case, but is a muzzleloader revolver considered a firearm by law? You could use a CO2 de charger to unload for the trip back.

Reactions
You are in for a long rough ride !!! Food is expensive as well as drinks.
Last year I traveled with a bunch of Oregon Marines from Salem to San
Diego on Amtrack for a National Marine Corps League Mid Winter Confer-
ance. Jack Daniels kind of helped buffer the many hours. Yeah, that's
not supposed to be legal either. Anyhow, did not have a carry permit for
Kalifornia, so left Betsey home. Got the red carpet treatment at both
MCRD and Camp Pendleton for the Expo West (state of the art weapon
and military equipment) so did not feel a need beyond the crusty crew
that I traveled with, to be armed. Some updated once under way to
sleeper cars, that I was told was more comfortable:D

Reactions
I've traveled armed on trains in the past. It may technically be a violation of law but I still did it and i dont regret it at all. There are some scary people on trains sometimes. It was also done intrastate.

Reactions
I would hate to be the test case, but is a muzzleloader revolver considered a firearm by law? You could use a CO2 de charger to unload for the trip back.
Yes a muzzleloader is considered a firearm. The only difference is that it has to be packed and primed in order to be considered loaded.

The consequences are no where near those if you fly...besides, how deep can that be hidden? Do they even post it anywhere or print it on your ticket, or warn you BEFORE you buy your ticket? Hell, buy yourself one of those fake antique Pinkerton badges, grow a mustache and scowl a lot...

LATEST REVIEWS

• Klickitat County Firearms Training Facility
    4.00 star(s)
    Not really a range guy, as in I am 53 years old and today is the very first time I have been to an actual managed shooting range. Also, not a WA...
    • CRBMoA
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    I've made several purchases here over the past few years and I've had a great experience every time. Prices are good, their staff is helpful, and...
    • Joe Link
  • Big Iron Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    It's great to have an LGS inside Portland Metro. Walt and Noah have put care into setting good prices and acquiring quality firearms and...
    • kr0ptkin
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Well I finally got around to taking pics of the Cerakoting work that Jeremy of Lucky Sports did for my wife and me about 3 weeks ago. We couldn't...
    • jg rider
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Here's more work that Jeremy did for me The first 3 pics are of an RIA frame that I had Cerakoted years back by an outfit in Molino. I had Jeremy...
    • jg rider

Staff online

• Kruel J
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect