JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was one of those responsible 18 year olds. I had a hard time finding people that would sell me a handgun, but there were a few who did and I appreciated them working with me.

I would meet the kid and size him up. If he looks like a thug, or looks like some weird introvert that might shoot people up with it I would say thanks for your time but no thanks.

Realistically any 18 year old could go to a store, buy a rifle, cut down the stock and barrel and have a handgun. The 18-21 discrepancy is outdated if you ask me. If you can join the military at 18, you can own a handgun, or drink.

At 25 now, I would not have a problem selling to an 18 year old if I thought they were responsible.

<sigh> Evil guns. Only the privilege few should have them and then only to keep the unwashed masses in check.
Those Bill of Privileges, those are subject to public opinion and it's our opinion that an 18 y.o. can't have a pistol!!
An 18 is not an adult! They have to be at least 25, have some debt and they better have a hair cut with no tattoo's. Moreover, he better not play video games either as he will run outside 3 minutes after acquiring a pistol and began acting like characters in GTA or COD then the Gov't will throw me in jail for lawfully trading it to him!!!!

j/k of course :D

Agreed that you are in the clear legally. I would not have a problem making a trade, but would do all paperwork for CYA purposes and run it through an OSP check if there was any hint of doubt about it being a legit/clean gun.

Unfortunately, today it seeems like it is necessary to CYA anytime you deal in a firearm transaction. The anti freedom crowd is so militant and dishonest in there tactics that it seems we are all taking on extra liability these days when involved in any firearm trade or transaction.

Unfortunately, today it seeems like it is necessary to CYA anytime you deal in a firearm transaction. The anti freedom crowd is so militant and dishonest in there tactics that it seems we are all taking on extra liability these days when involved in any firearm trade or transaction.
Agreed - Always CYA. Unless you have a community history like we do here with the feedback/rating system, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I know a lot of youngsters who've been shooting with their families since they were in little league. As an adult, I'd be inclined to involve the minor child's parents in such a deal. A responsible shooter of any age would surely understand why.

No? Something else to consider, I believe.

Last Edited:
Sure. As long as both can legally own.

Do it.

I'll sell a handgun to somebody on their 18th birthday. 100% legal.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top