Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Trading guns in oregon

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by cally88, Jan 29, 2015.

1. cally88

cally88 Portland Active Member

Any problems with private trading shotgun from 18 year old for a pistol? From what I know he cannot buy, but cannot find anything about him owning/trading into pistols.

2. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

No problem from a legal standpoint. But if this is a stranger that you do not personally know, I would hesitate to do it myself. Some 18 yr olds are mature and responsible, but many are not.

3. cally88

Yea, just sprung the age thing on me.... :/

4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I was one of those responsible 18 year olds. I had a hard time finding people that would sell me a handgun, but there were a few who did and I appreciated them working with me.

I would meet the kid and size him up. If he looks like a thug, or looks like some weird introvert that might shoot people up with it I would say thanks for your time but no thanks.

Realistically any 18 year old could go to a store, buy a rifle, cut down the stock and barrel and have a handgun. The 18-21 discrepancy is outdated if you ask me. If you can join the military at 18, you can own a handgun, or drink.

At 25 now, I would not have a problem selling to an 18 year old if I thought they were responsible.

5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

I wouldnt do it.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  6. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

<sigh> Evil guns. Only the privilege few should have them and then only to keep the unwashed masses in check.
    Those Bill of Privileges, those are subject to public opinion and it's our opinion that an 18 y.o. can't have a pistol!!
    An 18 is not an adult! They have to be at least 25, have some debt and they better have a hair cut with no tattoo's. Moreover, he better not play video games either as he will run outside 3 minutes after acquiring a pistol and began acting like characters in GTA or COD then the Gov't will throw me in jail for lawfully trading it to him!!!!

j/k of course :D

7. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Agreed that you are in the clear legally. I would not have a problem making a trade, but would do all paperwork for CYA purposes and run it through an OSP check if there was any hint of doubt about it being a legit/clean gun.

Slobray and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. cally88

Thanks for the good points, guess in the end it comes down to trust your guts..... Just didn't feel like the right thing.

Hawaiian likes this.
  9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

CYOA, is all I can tell ya. Would feel really bad if a story comes on the news with his face plastered on it....just sayin....

10. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, today it seeems like it is necessary to CYA anytime you deal in a firearm transaction. The anti freedom crowd is so militant and dishonest in there tactics that it seems we are all taking on extra liability these days when involved in any firearm trade or transaction.

Slobray likes this.
  11. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Agreed - Always CYA. Unless you have a community history like we do here with the feedback/rating system, but everyone has to start somewhere.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  12. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

If you are not sure, spend $10 and do the background check and transfer-then you are not responsible for his actions.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  13. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

I know a lot of youngsters who've been shooting with their families since they were in little league. As an adult, I'd be inclined to involve the minor child's parents in such a deal. A responsible shooter of any age would surely understand why.

No? Something else to consider, I believe.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    cally88 likes this.
  14. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Sure. As long as both can legally own.

Do it.

I'll sell a handgun to somebody on their 18th birthday. 100% legal.

.45's and .38's likes this.