JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I'm wondering why all of you think you have to depend on so much fancy technology. I built this:

Nice job!!

With these:

Japanese hand tools are great, but I throw the BS flag on building that whole building with only those.

JapanSaegen.JPG

And it's in an even better neighborhood than Gunner's place.

But is it yours? :s0155:

If it is, do you own it free and clear? :s0155:

And, you haven't seen the average value of homes in my neighborhood, or my view. :s0155:

After re reading this thread it's obvious that Gunner3456 is 110% correct on everything.

The pictures he posted of his work are proof positive that his skills are beyond any question. I would go so far as to say his work should be submitted to the Smithsonian as an example of the finest carpentry skills ever.

I take back my photo shop comments, those are real bushes in front of the siding, what was I thinking.

Now that everyone knows more about his self proclaimed life style

early retirement,
living in the best neighborhood on a hill (with a view mind you),
owning his home free and clear,
watches the Norm Abrams show.
expert internet debater
high post count

It is clear he is super special

Read his quotes and learn from a master...

Thank you. I always know I've won a debate when someone goes off-topic and just starts insulting me personally.

Dang, I just love it when guys who don't know what they are talking about, and who couldn't even start to do the work I posted pics of want to argue.

Go ahead guys. Keep pooling your ignorance and give this OP your fine advice.

Only idiots do that.

Sorry you're so jealous. If you ever own a house like that in the most expensive neighborhood in your county, post pics of it, OK

It's now obvious he is head and shoulders above anyone here.

I was so so so jealous of his internet skills, woodworking skills, and superior lifestyle. It was that jealousy that caused my out of line postings. I have seen the errors of my ways

Gunner3456, please accept my sincerest apologies for my personal attacks and questioning anything you said or how you said it.

I had you all wrong, you are indeed "awesome" no one here can compare to you.

Hey cbz? We have determined that you should just hire Gunner instead of buying a saw of ANY kind. He has his own stuff so yours wouldn't be good enuff anyway.

But if you are really budget minded, trot down to ACE or HD or Lowes and get a decent mid priced Skilsaw, a miter box and a hand saw to go with it.
Be sure and pick up a ripping blade for the Skilsaw, in case you need to rip a fence board, or rip a backer in your closet framing.

Spend some time with them learning to use them and don't look back.

Seen some pics of houses..

Here is mine, nothing fancy. I just got it last month..

2d1wxkz.jpg
(note, the pic was taken in the winter when we first seen the house, since then the tree is in full bloom and looks so nice!)

It will have a different front door this weekend, a steel door with a square-ish window at the top. The wood one shown is really starting to age and crack.

I was a first time home buyer with no money, its so much better than renting. I had to use the $8000 tax credit from Obama to buy a Refrigerator, water heater, and a washer and dryer. The left over money is going to the other projects listed in this thread..

New windows and blow in insulation is also on the way courtesy of our local utility company, we are getting $1500 free, and the remainder of the balance is going on a no interest 7 year loan :)

Seen some pics of houses..

Here is mine, nothing fancy. I just got it last month..

2d1wxkz.jpg
(note, the pic was taken in the winter when we first seen the house, since then the tree is in full bloom and looks so nice!)

It will have a different front door this weekend, a steel door with a square-ish window at the top. The wood one shown is really starting to age and crack.

I was a first time home buyer with no money, its so much better than renting. I had to use the $8000 tax credit from Obama to buy a Refrigerator, water heater, and a washer and dryer. The left over money is going to the other projects listed in this thread..

New windows and blow in insulation is also on the way courtesy of our local utility company, we are getting $1500 free, and the remainder of the balance is going on a no interest 7 year loan :)

I'm jealous, seriously. That brings back memories. That's nicer than my first house. I love that front door. Did you consider stripping it, filling the cracks and sanding them, and painting it or putting new finish on it? A new door is nice though...

That's a cool house with gobs of potential. It has "character" and it's going to be really nice.

Congratulations and have fun. As I said, I wish I was closer to give you a hand, but you'll do fine.

I'm jealous, seriously. That brings back memories. That's nicer than my first house. I love that front door. Did you consider stripping it, filling the cracks and sanding them, and painting it or putting new finish on it? A new door is nice though...

That's a cool house with gobs of potential. It has "character" and it's going to be really nice.

Congratulations and have fun. As I said, I wish I was closer to give you a hand, but you'll do fine.

The best thing about the house is that is TOTALLY remodeled on the inside, everything is new with the exception of the original hard wood floor in the living room :s0155:

Here is the story of the house.. It was a foreclosed home, so I knew NOTHING about the previous owner, but I learned the history from a neighbor.

YEARS ago this was the WORST house on the block, it was owned by an Native American man (not racist they just have a different way of life in our area at least) he had no power, when he cooked he would have a fire in the back yard and cook that way. I guess he as basically camping in his own house, the place was a dump and the neighbors wanted him gone but could do nothing because he owned it. People started to look for reasons to force him to him, someone found a law saying you must have power if you are living in the house, so they notified the city. Weeks later they put up notice and the man did nothing weeks pass and then the condemn the house and board it up. I dont know how the house ends up for sale, maybe because its abandoned or maybe the man puts it up, but it goes up for sale for DIRT CHEAP because the place is a total dump. Then a contractor buys it named Stan. He also tells me the last name and this name sounds very familiar to me but I keep talking. He tells me Stan worked in all hours of the night remodeling the inside of the house and it took him a couple months to finish, and when he was done he put it up for rent. He was charging like $1400 a month though for rent, which is crazy in this area, it should of been closer to $1000. But months and months go by with no one wanting to rent it and he never lowered the price. Soon a notices is on the door for foreclosure. I assume he blew his savings remodeling the place and had nothing left over to pay the mortgage.. Now to get back to Stan. I just kept thinking about the name, and I work for a Structural Engineer so with Stan being a contractor there is a good chance I may have ran into him before. So I put his name into our company database and guess what.. We currently suing him because he our company almost $30,000 from a couple years ago!!!

So that's when I come in, I get a FRESHLY remolded house for CHEAP. All it needed:

-There was no refrigerator, but did include a brand new stainless steel, microwave, stove, and dish washer. They even still had protective plastic wrap on them!

That was all it needed!

Not long after we got it the lower water heater element went out, and I tried to repair it but then I could not get it to seal correctly, after a 24 hours without hot water I decided to just get a new one haha!

Then we had problems with our dryer not working correctly, it was an older Kenmore stacked unit. We replaced it with a new Samsung energy efficient stacked unit.

Now we are replacing the front door, the cracking is not repairable, otherwise we would keep it. Plus if the door we had was in mint condition it would be painted maroon. The wife wants a maroon front door. We are gonna paint the house this summer as I am doing new siding. The existing siding is not so good, its probably the original and it is getting water bubbles under the paint, so I just will replace it with a probably a hardy plank.

The best thing about the house is that is TOTALLY remodeled on the inside, everything is new with the exception of the original hard wood floor in the living room :s0155:

Here is the story of the house.. It was a foreclosed home, so I knew NOTHING about the previous owner, but I learned the history from a neighbor.

YEARS ago this was the WORST house on the block, it was owned by an Native American man (not racist they just have a different way of life in our area at least) he had no power, when he cooked he would have a fire in the back yard and cook that way. I guess he as basically camping in his own house, the place was a dump and the neighbors wanted him gone but could do nothing because he owned it. People started to look for reasons to force him to him, someone found a law saying you must have power if you are living in the house, so they notified the city. Weeks later they put up notice and the man did nothing weeks pass and then the condemn the house and board it up. I dont know how the house ends up for sale, maybe because its abandoned or maybe the man puts it up, but it goes up for sale for DIRT CHEAP because the place is a total dump. Then a contractor buys it named Stan. He also tells me the last name and this name sounds very familiar to me but I keep talking. He tells me Stan worked in all hours of the night remodeling the inside of the house and it took him a couple months to finish, and when he was done he put it up for rent. He was charging like $1400 a month though for rent, which is crazy in this area, it should of been closer to $1000. But months and months go by with no one wanting to rent it and he never lowered the price. Soon a notices is on the door for foreclosure. I assume he blew his savings remodeling the place and had nothing left over to pay the mortgage.. Now to get back to Stan. I just kept thinking about the name, and I work for a Structural Engineer so with Stan being a contractor there is a good chance I may have ran into him before. So I put his name into our company database and guess what.. We currently suing him because he our company almost $30,000 from a couple years ago!!!

So that's when I come in, I get a FRESHLY remolded house for CHEAP. All it needed:

-There was no refrigerator, but did include a brand new stainless steel, microwave, stove, and dish washer. They even still had protective plastic wrap on them!

That was all it needed!

Not long after we got it the lower water heater element went out, and I tried to repair it but then I could not get it to seal correctly, after a 24 hours without hot water I decided to just get a new one haha!

Then we had problems with our dryer not working correctly, it was an older Kenmore stacked unit. We replaced it with a new Samsung energy efficient stacked unit.

Now we are replacing the front door, the cracking is not repairable, otherwise we would keep it. Plus if the door we had was in mint condition it would be painted maroon. The wife wants a maroon front door. We are gonna paint the house this summer as I am doing new siding. The existing siding is not so good, its probably the original and it is getting water bubbles under the paint, so I just will replace it with a probably a hardy plank.

Congratulations. It looks like fun and the house will look great. I like those shingles in the eve for the different texture. I can't tell if there is flashing at the bottom of those shingles where they meet the white trim board, and again around the bottom of the house above the white trim boards, but there must be or you'll get serious dry rot. If you don't know what I mean, take this comment and a pic of the house to a building supply. Flashing is cheap, and easy to install if you're replacing the siding.

Gunner

OP.. Congrats on the new home....I have all of the above saws (plus a few ) and I recommend that you get a skill type saw (I'd get a worm drive) with a little practice you can cut just about anything that you want and when you are done you can roll it up and put it in a cupboard....That is hard to do with a radial arm, chop or table saw...Plus sheathing a roof with a table saw would be a challenge at best...

link to pics of "best works"
http://www.oshatz.com/images/Wilkinson/d07W2438.jpg

Last Edited:
various people here have shown good advice. (1) count your fingers before and after (2) get advice and practice
Those projects you mentioned and house maintenance mostly hand tools, circular saw with maybe a chop saw you can borrow. If you want to buy tools, I've some to part with...business will be down for quite a while around here. Seriously, tradesmen are in a bind with this economy and we'll part with good tools and free advice. (please don't buy at pawn shops, those tools are often lifted from the truck of a working stiff.)
Oh yah ...nice job Gunner.

After re reading this thread it's obvious that Gunner3456 is 110% correct on everything.

The pictures he posted of his work are proof positive that his skills are beyond any question. I would go so far as to say his work should be submitted to the Smithsonian as an example of the finest carpentry skills ever.

I take back my photo shop comments, those are real bushes in front of the siding, what was I thinking.

Now that everyone knows more about his self proclaimed life style

early retirement,
living in the best neighborhood on a hill (with a view mind you),
owning his home free and clear,
watches the Norm Abrams show.
expert internet debater
high post count

It is clear he is super special

Read his quotes and learn from a master...

It's now obvious he is head and shoulders above anyone here.

I was so so so jealous of his internet skills, woodworking skills, and superior lifestyle. It was that jealousy that caused my out of line postings. I have seen the errors of my ways

Gunner3456, please accept my sincerest apologies for my personal attacks and questioning anything you said or how you said it.

I had you all wrong, you are indeed "awesome" no one here can compare to you.

Are you this happy-go-lucky in real life? Come on lets all have a group hug! :s0112::s0114::s0112:

I didn't know carpentry was a full contact sport until I read this thread! :D

Plus sheathing a roof with a table saw would be a challenge at best...

We cut all of the roof sheathing on our three story house with a table saw. After all, you mostly use full sheets or half-sheets, and trim only the roof ends and the ridge vent pieces. We didn't want to take the time to use a straight edge, and we didn't want gaps from crooked cuts. The end and ridge pieces are consistent to their points, so calculating them on the ground is simple. Valley angles are consistent.

The dormers were built on the ground - all angles pre-calculated and cut and assembled - even windows and trim and bottom flashing installed - and then flown into place with the crane on the truck which delivered the roofing.

I have no doubt you're good with a skill saw, but the OP is going to try to do nice accurate work before he has that practice or experience.

His first try and his learning is going to be his finished product, and it's going to show for decades!

I actually believe he needs a worm drive skill and a table saw, but he specified one saw due to budget constraints, and I try to stick with the question. I don't believe that he can, without a lot of prior practice, get everything nice with a skill saw.

$.02

I actually believe he needs a worm drive skill and a table saw, but he specified one saw due to budget constraints, and I try to stick with the question. I don't believe that he can, without a lot of prior practice, get everything nice with a skill saw.
Since you've mentioned that at least a dozen times now, why not let someone else offer up a suggestion, without you tramplin' on it?

Gunner, I am thinking you spent so much $$$ buying your table saw that you just couldn't afford another saw of any type, so you ran with it.
That, or your apparent adoration for Norm has clouded your ability to see expediency.

Since you've mentioned that at least a dozen times now, why not let someone else offer up a suggestion, without you tramplin' on it?

I thought this was a discussion group. Do you want to hear only comments which agree with you now? :)

Gunner, I am thinking you spent so much $$$ buying your table saw that you just couldn't afford another saw of any type, so you ran with it.
That, or your apparent adoration for Norm has clouded your ability to see expediency.

Sure, when you don't have anything more to add to the actual ideas to help the OP, just attack the messenger. I like it when people attack me personally and give up on offering real ideas, because when it happens I always know I've prevailed in the debate. :)

Please attack me personally some more. It just demeans you, not me. :s0155:

No need to attack you personally gunner. I just made an observation.

So how many house(s) have you built and/or remodeled using your table-saw-for-everything methodology?

No need to attack you personally gunner. I just made an observation.

I see. :) And what did you contribute of help for the OP?

"That, or your apparent adoration for Norm has clouded your ability to see expediency."

Of course I didn't take that personally. I fully understood that it was good and helpful instruction for the OP.
:)

So how many house(s) have you built and/or remodeled using your table-saw-for-everything methodology?

None. I'd like to see the OP have lots of tools, but the question was about budget constraints allowing only one tool, so which should it be. I stuck with answers to his question.

I believe that he could do all of the work he mentioned with a table saw but I don't believe he can do a good job with no practice with a skill saw. Again, the table saw is the centerpiece of every good woodworking shop.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads