JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So if you buy a quality brand radial arm it will rip boards, do a cross cut and also miter cuts accurately.

Not accurately, just as a compromise. If you see one in a cabinet shop, it's gathering dust.

If you can only afford one tool this would work best for the jobs needing done by the OP.

I want to watch you notch siding around a window with a radial arm saw.

As far as Norm Abrams goes dont believe everything you see on TV.

Yeah, it's all trick photography. Norm Abrams is just faking it.

I want to see you guys post up some pics of your dynamite work. :)

Dang, I just love it when guys who don't know what they are talking about, and who couldn't even start to do the work I posted pics of want to argue.

Go ahead guys. Keep pooling your ignorance and give this OP your fine advice.

Again, I wish I lived near him so I could give him a hand and show him a few tricks.

Yeah, it's all trick photography. Norm Abrams is just faking it.

I want to see you guys post up some pics of your dynamite work. :)

Sounds as if someone needs to learn how to actually use tools properly and do a little more work rather than watch someone do it on TV.............just sayin.

:s0113:
Definitely a router involved.

Nope. All cuts made with molding cutters on the table saw or with a vertical shaper. A router is a very clumsy tool on small parts, even with a rubber routing mat. The flutes were cut on a table saw with a stacked blade set and stops.

And paint covers wood putty quite nicely.

Speaking from experience? You need wood putty do you? :D :)

In all seriousness it does look really nice.:D

Thanks. Please post up some pics of your best work. :s0155:

Gunner, why are you looking to pick a fight? You gave your advice, and put up your pics, what more do you want?

A lot of people pursue woodworking as a career and a hobby. Anybody who works with their hands understands that tools have their limitations, but they can be adapted to a lot of situations as well.

I have worked with all-around contractors who have used a skilsaw almost exclusively, including a relative who used a worm drive to do a very complex arched moulding over a window by ripping thin strips... he's been a builder for decades and just wanted to do it that way. I've worked with guys that set up a table saw for every job... so what? I toured almost every plantation home on the Mississippi as a kid, and those homes were built before electricity... doesn't mean I'm going to use a draw knife and a jack-plane exclusively just 'cause that's the way they did it...

Most people pick the tools they can afford as they need them. I am sure the OP is no different... except Norm Abrams. Norm has every tool and jig known to man, because he's on an informational television program!

Is a table saw part and parcel of any woodworking shop? Sure it is. Is a worm-drive saw as common to carpentry as a speed square, hammer, and tape measure? You bet it is.

No one needs to come on here and post a portfolio of their work to gain your approval. The original poster will buy whatever saw he wants, and that's that.

Your casing work and entryway looks fine, by the way, but your arm is gonna fall off from patting yourself on the back...

Gunner, why are you looking to pick a fight? You gave your advice, and put up your pics, what more do you want?

I want the OP to get good advice. :s0155:

A lot of people pursue woodworking as a career and a hobby. Anybody who works with their hands understands that tools have their limitations, but they can be adapted to a lot of situations as well.

True, but some are more versatile, and do more accurate work than others.

I have worked with all-around contractors who have used a skilsaw almost exclusively, including a relative who used a worm drive to do a very complex arched moulding over a window by ripping thin strips... he's been a builder for decades and just wanted to do it that way.

If he's that good, fine, but someone new to the hobby is going to be clumsy with a skill saw for fine work.

I've worked with guys that set up a table saw for every job... so what?

So what? They wanted good and accurate work, that's what. :s0155:

I toured almost every plantation home on the Mississippi as a kid, and those homes were built before electricity... doesn't mean I'm going to use a draw knife and a jack-plane exclusively just 'cause that's the way they did it...

Well, they were good, but no one is advocating that, although I know a couple of guys who LOVE to work like that with antique tools. Ever see The Woodwright Shop on TV? It's not for me, but it's a learning experience.

Most people pick the tools they can afford as they need them. I am sure the OP is no different... except Norm Abrams. Norm has every tool and jig known to man, because he's on an informational television program!

He also has his table saw right in the middle of the room as his center piece and he can make it dance. It's amazing what he can do with it.

Is a table saw part and parcel of any woodworking shop? Sure it is. Is a worm-drive saw as common to carpentry as a speed square, hammer, and tape measure? You bet it is.

The table saw is precision. The other tools you mentioned are mostly for framing and building concrete forms, etc.

No one needs to come on here and post a portfolio of their work to gain your approval.

If they don't have some work to post, then I call BS.

The original poster will buy whatever saw he wants, and that's that.

I hope he buys what's best for what he needs, and he's gotten some rotten advice here. :s0155:

Your casing work and entryway looks fine, by the way, but your arm is gonna fall off from patting yourself on the back...

I'll worry about my arm, thanks. :D I posted it to try to get the OP to listen to me.

so when the OP goes to rough-frame his closets, and he's got to cut 16 or 20 2x4"s from 96" down to 93 and 5/8", how would you have him set up the table saw?

maybe he's going to re-side the house, and needs to cut a piece of FCS from 12' down to 11' 3", how would Norm do that, on his tablesaw, of course?

When cbzdel sets his posts in concrete to build his fence, and goes to cut them all off level with each other with the new tablesaw he just bought, just what kind of jig would you suggest he throw together to do that?

WOW, of all the ways a guy could get his point across, you say this.

Dang, I just love it when guys who don't know what they are talking about, and who couldn't even start to do the work I posted pics of want to argue.

Go ahead guys. Keep pooling your ignorance and give this OP your fine advice.

Again, I wish I lived near him so I could give him a hand and show him a few tricks.

It's quite revealing

What's with the photo shop bushes in this picture of your siding work ?

View attachment 205852

so when the OP goes to rough-frame his closets, and he's got to cut 16 or 20 2x4"s from 96" down to 93 and 5/8", how would you have him set up the table saw?

A stud is actually 92 5/8" and you buy them that length. That's what you get if you buy a stud. You just don't buy 8' 2x4's. I thought everyone knew that. :s0155:

maybe he's going to re-side the house, and needs to cut a piece of FCS from 12' down to 11' 3", how would Norm do that, on his tablesaw, of course?

You always need another wooden table which you make, or telescoping rollers to support the long end. Then you push it through the saw. Norm makes his own large wooden miter squares for large items to stabilize them but you don't need that.

When cbzdel sets his posts in concrete to build his fence, and goes to cut them all off level with each other with the new tablesaw he just bought, just what kind of jig would you suggest he throw together to do that?

Only idiots do that. You set your end posts to the height you want them using a level to plumb them. Then you stretch a string across the tops and put a string line level on the string to get the heights level before the concrete sets. Now you set the posts in between, just touching the string.

If the terrain is sloped and you want the fence to slope, you still set the end posts first and use the string line.

Actually you use gauge blocks to assure you aren't bowing the string, but that's too complicated for you.
:s0155:

WOW, of all the ways a guy could get his point across, you say this.
It's quite revealing
What's with the photo shop bushes in this picture of your siding work ?

Sorry you're so jealous. If you ever own a house like that in the most expensive neighborhood in your county, post pics of it, OK? :s0155:

Sorry you're so jealous. If you ever own a house like that in the most expensive neighborhood in your county, post pics of it, OK? :s0155:

Sorry I am over the age of 12 and don't play your game, let alone post pictures on this web site of anything personal, photo chopped or not.

The internet is the wrong place to post personal info Cliff, besides your retirement should be spent doing something besides trying to pull people's chain on this site.

Posts Per Day: 7.17... time to go get a real life there buddy boy.

Although if you act like this in real life it's got to be a lonely existence for you

Maybe your wife can nurse you back to a healthy life style and introduce back to behaving like a grown up.

Best of luck to you, you'll need all you can get.

A skill saw is for rough carpentry work such as framing. How's he going to install a door if it needs to be cut off at the bottom (either the jamb or the door or both which is common) or make the miter cuts for the trim?

==============================================

Your a wanabe.

I have cut off hundreds of door jambs and thousands of doors with a skill saw, never done it any other way.

Stair treads, closet shelves, skirt boards, doors, jambs, I have even cut perfect circles with a skill saw.

Sorry I am over the age of 12

Then act it.

The internet is the wrong place to post personal info Cliff, besides your retirement should be spent doing something besides trying to pull people's chain on this site.

When you can live like I live in early retirement, let me know how smart you are, OK? :)

Sorry you're so upset just because I know my carpentry even as a hobby. :s0155:

==============================================

Your a wanabe.

I have cut off hundreds of door jambs and thousands of doors with a skill saw, never done it any other way.

Stair treads, closet shelves, skirt boards, doors, jambs, I have even cut perfect circles with a skill saw.

He's new. He can do all that and cut the miters for his trim with a skill saw? I don't believe that you think he can. I DO believe you can if you've been at it for years. :s0155:

Sorry I am over the age of 12 and don't play your game, let alone post pictures on this web site of anything personal, photo chopped or not.

Posts Per Day: 7.17... time to go get a real life there buddy boy.

Although if you act like this in real life it's got to be a lonely existence for you

Maybe your wife can nurse you back to a healthy life style and introduce back to behaving like a grown up.

Best of luck to you, you'll need all you can get.

Thank you. I always know I've won a debate when someone goes off-topic and just starts insulting me personally. When you can no longer debate, just toss insults and you win!

It's called shooting the messenger!

Thanks for admitting you have nothing more to add! :s0155:

the height I picked for the studs in the closet scenario was arbitrary. When framing and remodelling, you certainly can't expect that pre-cut studs are going to fit... there may have been settling issues, additional layers of subflooring added, or a million other site-specific variables which would cause many, if not all, of the studs to need to be cut to slightly different lengths. The idea that a person would use additional tables, rollers, and a large jig (instead of a chop saw or skilsaw) to cut 3/8" off the end of a 2x4" is ridiculous.

The picture of someone using a table saw to cut FCS is so ridiculous, it makes me wonder if you even know what it is... Hardi-Plank ring a bell?

You can set and level your fence posts however you like, I would hardly say the technique I described is for "idiots".

It looks like the only thing the OP is going to get out of this thread is that he should hire Gunner to do the work.

It matters not how many have experience with the tools we own, or the tools in question. The debate now is about Gunner's superior woodworking skills, and whether the rest have skills that measure up.

To the OP: It seems Gunner has volunteered to do this work for you so at least you won't have to "waste" money on tools!!

How's he going to rip fence boards, which always has to be done at some point?

You set up some saw horses, snap a chalk line and rip. It's not rocket science.

I consider installing siding finish work.

Fine, it can still be done with a wormdrive.

You haven't seen the way those special blades warp in a skill saw and cause the cut to wander all over the place? Those blades cut by friction and not with the typical teeth.

Not when you buy the good ones. I would use a diamond blade. They make a nice cut and don't warp.

A skill saw is for rough carpentry work such as framing. How's he going to install a door if it needs to be cut off at the bottom (either the jamb or the door or both which is common) or make the miter cuts for the trim?

The OP didn't say anything about hanging doors. I would prefer a table saw for cutting the door, but I could do it with a wormdrive. As I said before, buy a miter box for the trim. There won't be much of it to do. I would spend less money on the saw and have a more appropraite tool for the majority of the work.

I'm wondering why all of you think you have to depend on so much fancy technology. I built this:

With these:

JapanSaegen.JPG

And it's in an even better neighborhood than Gunner's place.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads