JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went out shooting yesterday with a friend...

Yesterday she shot a .22 rifle for the first time ( My Remington model 33 ) ...
Her response was : "I need to get one of these...! "
And now she is looking into getting a .22 rifle...:D

...you never know what interest you may spark....
Andy

So, while new to this forum I've been instructing newbies...instructing them well, I hope...for some years now at indoor and outdoor ranges. Some girls cringe, others take to it. Never know. Most of us have observed this. Note to self: don't hand the 110 lb lady a full size 1911 45 ACP, all-steel, with +P rounds for her first shooting experience...

On a more positive note, I agree that when they want "in," as a friend of mine (female) now does, I suggest they buy something reliable yet can be turned over 1:1 later if doesn't work out. I assume BP products are inexpensive, right? Most .22 rifles can be resold, and have low cost of entry and operation too?

I tend to suggest a solid used PPK or Ruger Mk IV (pretty sure it was the "Mk III" back when was my first handgun, in 1989). "Used" being key. A "new" craptastic gun at "budget" price is less than worthless, we know what they are. I've had as many used as new across the decades and had little if-any trouble, though I suppose it's possible to buy someone else's problem even in a well-known brand!

(On the opposite end, in fact I sold a 1911 Springfield Professional (FBI gun) for exactly what I paid for it, 9 years and 3K rounds later. It shot great the day I bought it, and day I sold it to (local Seattle metro area) SWAT officer some years ago. I see the damn things are $3K now...new...geez. Uber competent, but I figured if I can't fall in love with an objectively great tool after 3K rounds including a 2K round three-day "shooter's course", something's not right in how it fits/works "for me."

On a more positive note, I agree that when they want "in," as a friend of mine (female) now does, I suggest they buy something reliable yet can be turned over 1:1 later if doesn't work out. I assume BP products are inexpensive, right? Most .22 rifles can be resold, and have low cost of entry and operation too?

BP firearms like any other type , can be inexpensive , but still a good gun , or inexpensive cheap crap...as well as upper end off the shelf production guns to full on custom jobs...
If you pick well you can get close to or more than what you originally bought it for , if you want to re-sell.

She did her homework and we went together to the gun store , I had her look at the guns there that fit her budget...and helped her pick one of the ones that she liked...

This is important as its not my rifle , but hers....and the rifle needed to fit her and be something that she liked.
My biggest concerns were quality for the price and checking it over for signs of abuse , as this was her first gun of any kind.

She ended up with a rifle that she liked and is learning to shoot it well....
Now it looks like we need to do the same with a .22 rifle...after that who knows....:D
Andy

The best thing about teaching ladies to shoot is that they will tell all of their friends and get them into shooting.

The down side to having a lady that shoots is competing for space in the gun safe, just like the closet, and the bathroom sink.

Went out shooting yesterday with a friend...
Being me of course , I first introduced her to muzzleloading firearms , which she took to , like a duck to water.
After some looking around and much research , she bought herself a BP rifle and assorted gear to make it go boom...
We have shot those a bit before and made another "shooting date" for yesterday...

So...
Yesterday she shot a .22 rifle for the first time ( My Remington model 33 ) ...
Her response was : "I need to get one of these...! "
And now she is looking into getting a .22 rifle...:D

No real reason for this post , other than , be sure to take a friend out shooting...you never know what interest you may spark....
Andy
:s0101::s0101::s0101::s0101::s0101::s0101:

I don't know Andy, that kind of sounds more like a date than "taking a friend shooting"!

:p

Way to go, Andy. We should all proselytize our acquaintances.
I take firearms with me on travel. In the past two months, have taken four colleagues shooting, three of whom never shot a gun. Now one of them is on the prowl for a CZ75 and 1911.

The Remington 33 is a sweet , smooth and sure shooting rifle...
Now if only gun companies today , made a well finished adult sized single shot bot action rifle ....while it wouldn't out sell the Ruger 10/22 series of rifles....it may help introduce the simple joys of a well made single shot rifle.
Andy

Andy,

LOOK at some of the CZ rifles. Single shot and 5 round magazines. You can switch them around. CZ magazines - we use the CZ brand name.

Rifles - CZ-USA

We own 3 very sweet CZ 22lr bolt action rifles. Adult sized rifles. We do not have scopes on them and we have no plans for scopes on these rifles.

CZ Scout Rifle
CZ Training Rifle

This is my rifle:

CZ 455 Lux
CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

They still make the CZ Lux in 22lr.

CZ did change some of the CZ barrels around on some of their rifles.

I may get another CZ BOLT action 22lr or 22wmr rifle for my birthday.

Side note:

I never owned a Ruger 10/22. They never 'tripped my trigger' but I do know that they are very popular and loved by many people. All of us have different tastes in guns!

As a lady shooter, I want to thank you for introducing another lady into firearms. Black powder and any other type of shooting!

We gifted the sweet CZ Lux BOLT action .223 rifle to a close friend back east. (Veteran, on ground zero on the day of the attacks and he is like a nephew to me.) If the lady likes the .223 caliber, down the road, that rifle was and IS a tack driver. NO scopes - iron sights.

Give your lady friend my best wishes.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate

Andy,

LOOK at some of the CZ rifles. Single shot and 5 round magazines. You can switch them around. CZ magazines - we use the CZ brand name.

Rifles - CZ-USA

We own 3 very sweet CZ 22lr bolt action rifles. Adult sized rifles. We do not have scopes on them and we have no plans for scopes on these rifles.

CZ Scout Rifle
CZ Training Rifle

This is my rifle:

CZ 455 Lux
CZ 455 Lux - Discontinued 2018 - CZ-USA

They still make the CZ Lux in 22lr.

CZ did change some of the CZ barrels around on some of their rifles.

I may get another CZ BOLT action 22lr or 22wmr rifle for my birthday.

Side note:

I never owned a Ruger 10/22. They never 'tripped my trigger' but I do know that they are very popular and loved by many people. All of us have different tastes in guns!

As a lady shooter, I want to thank you for introducing another lady into firearms. Black powder and any other type of shooting!

We gifted the sweet CZ Lux BOLT action .223 rifle to a close friend back east. (Veteran, on ground zero on the day of the attacks and he is like a nephew to me.) If the lady likes the .223 caliber, down the road, that rifle was and IS a tack driver. NO scopes - iron sights.

Give your lady friend my best wishes.

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate

Thank you Cate for suggestions and kind words...
We will look at those CZ's for sure....at one time I owned a CZ 452 LUX....but sold it to a friend of mine...a sweet shooting rifle.

Iron sights is how I like to teach shooting and how I still prefer to shoot a rifle...
My friend is shooting well and getting better each time we go out .
She said she likes my older style of rifles , so we will start our hunt for a .22 there....but to be sure we will look at and handle all types of .22 rifles , just to see what she really likes...

Just going slow here with a brand new shooter...and I am enjoying helping her , find her interest in firearms.
Andy

Thank you Cate for suggestions and kind words...
We will look at those CZ's for sure....at one time I owned a CZ 452 LUX....but sold it to a friend of mine...a sweet shooting rifle.

Iron sights is how I like to teach shooting and how I still prefer to shoot a rifle...
My friend is shooting well and getting better each time we go out .
She said she likes my older style of rifles , so we will start our hunt for a .22 there....but to be sure we will look at and handle all types of .22 rifles , just to see what she really likes...

Just going slow here with a brand new shooter...and I am enjoying helping her , find her interest in firearms.
Andy

Andy,

That IS the way to do it. Let her find and decide what she likes in various firearms with your guidance. What suits her and FITS her hands and body. What she thinks is PRETTY even if some people think that is a silly idea (Pretty guns.) but I do NOT think it is silly idea. I like the looks of some GUNS as I did and still do in sail and power boats even if I don't own any boats any longer.

Another thing which I know that you do NOT do is scoff at her reason or reasons for wanting to know more about firearms and wanting to LEARN how to shoot any firearm in a safe, responsible and sane manner. You can have fun while being safe as a Newbie and as a life long shooter.

Every person is a NEWBIE at one time or the other as a child, teen, young adult, middle aged adult or as a senior citizen. When a person learns a NEW skill, shooting guns or learning how to drive or any other thing in LIFE, at any age they are a Newbie and that is nothing to be ashamed of or thought less of just because they did not 'grow up around guns'! All of us have to learn about guns and shooting safely at any age IF we choose to shoot or own a gun.

And just because she did not grow up around guns, hunting, plinking, etc. and wants to get into them for self defense, the RKBA issue or even for the historical reason as you mentioned... good for her. Good for any NEWBIE even if it is for a 'just because reason' because she CAN do this in the US of A!

Best wishes to her again. THANK YOU for helping her.

Sincerely,

Cate
Self Defense - RKBA Issue

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR