JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just think of as big teddy bears with guns! ;):cool::D

giant-bear-carrying-gun-tattoo-on-upperbody.jpg

OP's experience is uber kreepy!

Had a guy on hear asking to trade for my shotgun.

-wanted pictures of it, because he forgot what it was, I responded with see my ad.

-asked him 4 times how many rounds he had fired with his weapon, and if it had given him any problems. On the fifth time I asked the same question, he responded he had never fired it, but it was his EDC...hmmm....

25 PMs later, when I reminded him that the trade was to be done at an FFL near me, and we would both pay our respective fees...all of a sudden not interested...This was the 4th time the same user contacted me about a trade.

He had even texted me once about a month ago along the lines of "...hey bud...I have that pistol you wanted...what you got...". Didn't respond to that, & the above odd PMs were from last week.

I only made it about 1/3the way thru your post.
That would have been the end of my story.
He would have told me he had another buyer and I'm done. Then call to reschedule? B effing S
I'm done.
I put my 2 glocks and some ammo on there.
Is it still for sale? Delete:cool:

I won't even visit that site anymore.

That is a scary weird situation. The gun was probably stolen.

I only buy/sell used on here or gunbroker.

And anyone on here with less than 500 postings is sketchy.

I might have gave the LEOs that guys number.

I just did a trade where I met some one half way between seattle and wenatchee in the only town we could find that had a gun store. It went perfect so se went forward with the deal.

I have had deals where people would not agree to meet at a gun store, I just decline. I will not go to some one's house to preview or do any gun deal, unless it is a friend or friend of a friend type thing, but that is gun deals.

Just bought a 32" Samsung LCD TV for my office from a local guy who listed it on craigslist and went to his house to do the deal. It is Wenatchee so not too worried, though I know shi-it can happen here too that is why the trusty nine was in my front pocket. Guy turned out to be super cool, home based TV repair guy, knew some people I know and was a gun enthusiast also. We ended up talking for a while. Told me to look him up if I ever needed a TV worked on.

Guess I just been lucky.

Sold a Glock a few yrs ago, right after 594 took effect and had a heck of a time getting people to come to a gun store to do it legally. About 5 people tried talking me out of that and just meeting and doing the deal, I always said love to but too much to lose if I got caught so can't do it.

Tell you what 594 sucks. After all the trouble I went through selling that Glock, I was super pissed at wa for 594.

Alright, so I have to vent to someone so here it goes. By the way, this listing that spurned me was not from this forum, let's just say it was posted on the only other local website that has a firearm classified section and rhymes with "harms fist".

So here it goes....

Just this past Wednesday, a guy named John Kennedy answered my e-mail regarding a firearm he listed and then left me his phone #. I texted him and he tries to bypass meeting at an FFL insisting I buy from him directly. I wanted to check out the gun and told him I don't feel comfortable breaking the law. He then tells me if I don't feel comfortable just buying directly from him then we can go to Fishermans (FFL for the transfer). Later that same day, he tries to rush me to meet him at his house and tells me he's going to sell it to someone else right away if I don't come buy it so I respectfully walk away from the deal. He then immediately says we can meet up the next day (Thursday). I ended up calling out from work and took Thursday off so I can make this deal happen. Well on Thursday, I texted him in the morning and he says we're all good to meet at 11am, as I gave him a 3 hour heads up. Well, as i'm on my way he says "we have to scratch this for a bit, I got called in to work". Not even an apology, he just literally blows me off last minute. I text him through out the day to see if I can come by some other time since I took the day off. Well, he finally texts me back late Thursday night saying he had a bad day and we can meet first thing Friday morning (which is the day I post this). He already gave me his address as he refused to meet at any public location. I tell him i'll be there 8:30am and will let him know i'm on my way at 8am. Today, I did just that and although he never said anything back I just assumed we were all good. I show up at his house and texted him saying i'm outside and he doesn't answer. I call him 4 times, no answer. Finally, I just walk up to his door and he finally answers on the 3rd ring. Barely dressed (can't take that one back) and totally shocked/scared/oblivious, he asks me if i'm there to buy a gun and I mention i'm there as we agreed so I can check it out first. It looked like he was hiding something behind the door and he tells me that he got robbed and all the guns are gone. Having had enough of this crap, I walk away to my car, full-alert, with my hand on my holster because I get this wierd vibe from him. He lives in a house that is behind 2 other houses and is quite hidden from the main street. Luckily, nothing happened to me and I made it out his long driveway just fine. If anyone shops the classifieds outside of NWFA, be extra careful. It helps that there's a feedback system here to get a little bit more peace of mind. This guy has quite a few firearms listed and just seemed really sketchy.

Alright, i'm done... Just wanted to vent and share.

Dude, you're WAY more patient than I ever would have been. For me the deal would have been off after the second sentence of your story.

I've had nothing but the best dealings here. Gun deals I've done have all been at my house or the sellers. Only one was in a parking lot, and was fine. I depend on my own judgment. I seem to have always had a knack for reading people. I would have absolutely read the OPs situation and backed out before going to some creepy flag lot without absolute confirmation!

With the added cost of the background checks, and going miles to meet someone, and you have to have a chance to look at firearm in a comfortable setting.....If I ever see something I have to have I just go to Kieth's and have them order it! Heck, I'll probably never buy a gun from a private party again!

So, I've got one gun for sale right now - been on NWFA for a couple of weeks now, and not a single hit. I've had several hits on AL, one that's supposed to get back to me on his day off on Monday - we'll see. In the meantime, yesterday I got a message from a buyer that sounded, at first, like a good lead. Then he asked about shipping to him in WA - Puget Sound area. Now, I've sold a number of guns out of state, including on AL, but I've learned a few things to help keep myself from fraud - and it's been attempted on me a number of times over AL.

First, a couple of red flags - I told him I'd get back to him with an estimate on shipping. Before I could do that, he came back a little later and offered to pay me more than I knew it would cost to ship it. For the most part, anyone who offers you more than necessary or what you're asking, is pulling a scam, since most folks want to dicker over even a few dollars. Second, he wanted to mail me a cashier's check right away, said it would 'clear in a day, then I could ship immediately'. Red flag #2 - cashier's checks, if fraudulent, can take 3 weeks or longer to truly 'clear' the bank - even if they cash it, you are on the hook if they find it's a fake.

So, I responded back with my requirements - contact info for his FFL so I could speak to them directly about the transfer. The next had to do with payment - either PayPal 'gift' or USPS Money Order, mailed to me from the issuing post office.

His response - silence. I've learned putting these very simple requirements on an out of state buyer will usually shut them down if they are a scammer. The good deals I've done out of state didn't flinch at all at my simple requirements.

Hopefully the guy on Monday will come through.

There was a time (pre 594) when AL followers were copacetic. I sold to parties across the U.S. without issue, and because of the distance, it was FFL-to-FFL, AFTER receiving/cashing the postal MO. Communication, description, and high resolution images was key to a positive outcome for both of us, as I wanted said buyer to literally see every aspect of what they were buying, and what they would have in their hands upon receipt. My policy, I divulged everything I knew about said firearm to the best of my knowledge. So, please, if you have any concerns, ask now. If you commit to purchase, there are no returns. We both were very pleased with the transaction.

These days, there are too many tire kickers looking for something for nothing. Craigslist has the same disease.

I had one of those experiences a few years ago on CL (non-firearm). A barrage of emails asking to ship for an unreasonable overage, a "shipping company" pickup, out of state cashiers check, wouldn't call me to discuss condition or details, etc.

I gave them the King County Sheriff's office to mail the cashiers check. When they emailed back a few days later to see if the check arrived I told them I'd pick it up at the Sheriff's office today--and that was the last I heard from them. That was kindof fun...

The flip side is I've sold and given away more than 100 things on CL and have had about 98% positive experiences. As a buyer I've run about 60% positive though. Some stories don't exactly add up, and that's all I need to walk away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top