JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had the "my car just broke down" excuse from CL / Armslist / Forums before. When I sent back that I worked for a AAA contractor and would be happy to come get them going or tow them, they never responded. Funny, eh?

Most of the time I wound up meeting folks while I was working, because my schedule was pretty crap and I was always working when normal job working folk had time off to do stuff - so I'd tell them ahead of time "look for the big red tow truck" - it worked to weed out the broken car flakes, and also served as an easily identifiable rig for real people.

Life iis too short to waste on internet scammers, trolls, and a-holes.

...what's up with folks not identifying themselves? I mean just the common courtesy of a name.

I'm contacting you, or being contacted about something that's going to take time to set up a get together & then it'll cost money.

I simply don't get it!

The "I was robbed!" excuse seems to be fairly common for whatever reason(s). I've gotten it a couple times doing Craigslist deals. I always thought they just sold it to someone else though.
No shortage of flakes and low-lifes out there. One reason I always carry.
That's kinda funny. A couple years ago I was buying some auto related stuff from a CL seller and my car was broken into less than 30 yards away, while the back half was still in my sight, as I was doing the transaction. No, I don't think the seller was in any way involved -- just a shifty neighborhood in NE Portland. Hope that yambag enjoyed my broken ipod and 10 year old camera with the missing the memory card.

I've had nothing but the best dealings here. Gun deals I've done have all been at my house or the sellers. Only one was in a parking lot, and was fine. I depend on my own judgment. I seem to have always had a knack for reading people. I would have absolutely read the OPs situation and backed out before going to some creepy flag lot without absolute confirmation!

With the added cost of the background checks, and going miles to meet someone, and you have to have a chance to look at firearm in a comfortable setting.....If I ever see something I have to have I just go to Kieth's and have them order it! Heck, I'll probably never buy a gun from a private party again!

Mike, this IS THE PROBLEM with I594. It is having a "chilling effect" on private gun sales and I think this is by design, and on purpose.

When it was on the ballot, I talked to my local gun store guys about it and they would not say anything. This pissed me off as I could tell there were $$ signs in their eyes for 2 reasons. They knew darn well this would put a damper on private sales thus increasing their business and they also knew it would bring in more $$ for the transfer cost and while the buyer/seller was in there doing the paper work they would have a opportunity for up-sales of ammo, holsters etc.

I told them this, in a nice but serious way and told them I was disgusted by their seeming lack of opposition to this initiative. The store owner just shrugged and gave me the WTF do you want from me... look.

These guys have done right by me on prices may times even beating what I could do online so I appreciate them but still....

I594 should have had a provision for CPL license holders at least... specially if the transfer is between 2 CPL holders. If they deny that, it is very obvious this is not about anything but building a De Facto gun registration list.

Last Edited:
I just had the classic scam email from someone, and though I'm not foolish enough to fall for it that's only because people have helped to point out the tactics used by scammers.

Received today:
"Hello. I am robert. I want to make an inquiry if the item is still available for sale? pls semd me an email to [email protected]."

I replied that my listing was still accurate, and I mentioned a few specifics. Notice how "robert" never mentions any of those details, or even mentions what the item is.

"Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry.. I am sorry for not getting back to you anytime sooner..I have been busy..Let me know if it is
still available...I hope it is its best condition..I think I should go for the price just because I want to get it before any other person.
I am ready to make payment for the shipment... I want you to hold it for me before any other interested person. i live in Texas.
Please provide your full name, Address and your Phone number so that I can send your payment. I will be paying you by Certified check. It
will take 2 -3 days for the payment to get to you...As for delivery,I will talk to a shipping company here and they will come pick it up at
you residence,Let me know when you will be available to receive them so that they can just schedule an appointment with you.kindly get back
to me, as soon as possible, with your name, phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent, so that I can make an arrangement for
the Check.
Note: As soon as you have your money in hand, we can talk about the picking up of the item. I would like you to take the posting off Arm-
listing today.
I am willing to provide a FFL address to ship to so that you will be sure I am not going to possess it illegally.
You can send text to my phone,I will reply as soon as I get it

(803) 938-4758
Best Regards
Robert"

Robert in Texas with a South Carolina number for a Joshua Frovarp. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Stay safe people, deal local, avoid armslist.

Never Bought or sold any thing On line from Private Parties! I have not ever purchased a firearm on line and prefer F.T.F. at a gun shop where I can touch and feel and ask questions, all the while having extra eyes looking about! I would only consider this sight for making a firearm purchase, and then only from some one with "History" here, Like all you fine folks! I was looking for another FN/FAL project recently, and there are a few listed here, but the Listee's all are New/ only selling, not joining in on convo's, so I pass by! One wants a fortune for what is a KIT that is of unknown quality, and he might as well paint it CAT yellow for the price he is asking, almost double what any sane person would be willing to pay for one! Any way, I have had Awesome experiences with Non firearms C/L buying and selling, Most of my hot rod parts/bike projects and other fun oddball stuff has been done through C/L!!! I have met some awesome folks and have gotten/given great deals, and have some very memorable stories I could tell from many of those experiences! I guess the firearms thing just scares me a little, and the dudes that are selling are mostly flakes ( except Mt Bear, I so want that springer 03 he is selling, and we all know Mt Bear is a stand up guy!!!) so maybe I will buck up and go ahead and buy something here! LOL

I just had the classic scam email from someone, and though I'm not foolish enough to fall for it that's only because people have helped to point out the tactics used by scammers.

Received today:
"Hello. I am robert. I want to make an inquiry if the item is still available for sale? pls semd me an email to [email protected]."

I replied that my listing was still accurate, and I mentioned a few specifics. Notice how "robert" never mentions any of those details, or even mentions what the item is.

"Thanks for your reply concerning my inquiry.. I am sorry for not getting back to you anytime sooner..I have been busy..Let me know if it is
still available...I hope it is its best condition..I think I should go for the price just because I want to get it before any other person.
I am ready to make payment for the shipment... I want you to hold it for me before any other interested person. i live in Texas.
Please provide your full name, Address and your Phone number so that I can send your payment. I will be paying you by Certified check. It
will take 2 -3 days for the payment to get to you...As for delivery,I will talk to a shipping company here and they will come pick it up at
you residence,Let me know when you will be available to receive them so that they can just schedule an appointment with you.kindly get back
to me, as soon as possible, with your name, phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent, so that I can make an arrangement for
the Check.
Note: As soon as you have your money in hand, we can talk about the picking up of the item. I would like you to take the posting off Arm-
listing today.
I am willing to provide a FFL address to ship to so that you will be sure I am not going to possess it illegally.
You can send text to my phone,I will reply as soon as I get it

(803) 938-4758
Best Regards
Robert"

Robert in Texas with a South Carolina number for a Joshua Frovarp. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.

Stay safe people, deal local, avoid armslist.

Yep, I've had several interactions just like that one - never have followed through on any of them.

I won't even visit that site anymore.

That is a scary weird situation. The gun was probably stolen.

I only buy/sell used on here or gunbroker.

And anyone on here with less than 500 postings is sketchy.

I might have gave the LEOs that guys number.

Agree with most of what you said. There, and now I'm one more post towards not being sketchy. :D

Agree with most of what you said. There, and now I'm one more post towards not being sketchy. :D

You're not "Sketchy" now! Easy. Just click on name, check feedback, been here how long, read some of your content.....Look at the names you've dealt with that gave you good feedback. That's good enough for me! The only thing left is quality of communication if I were to have you respond to an ad, or if I were to respond to your ad.

I've had nothing but great experiences with buying, selling and trading on NWFA. I've met in houses, parking lots, shops in SE Portland, etc etc. Post SB 941 I have only met one person at a pawn shop and we ended up talking for an hour about hunting, kids, guns, etc while waiting for the bgc to go through. I'm pretty anti social but had a good time talking with the guy. Pre 941 we would make a day of loading the family up, driving to a Fred Meyer Parking lot in Salem or Newberg, do a little swapping and drive home excited with a new toy.I wish we could do that again but the left wing extremist have made a criminal act out of what used to be a fun day out with the wife and kids. Bummer. Until things change it's just best to stick to dealing with NWFA members with decent feedback.

You're not "Sketchy" now! Easy. Just click on name, check feedback, been here how long, read some of your content.....Look at the names you've dealt with that gave you good feedback. That's good enough for me! The only thing left is quality of communication if I were to have you respond to an ad, or if I were to respond to your ad.

Oh, I know, was just trying to have a little bit of fun. (I did use the laughing really hard emoji) :)

Whatever method you use to feel comfortable with vetting a potential deal is what you should use. Everyone's Spidey sense tingles differently. The thing I try to do though is not eliminate a possible deal just because of time on the forum or number of replies. Everyone is new to the forum at some point and I don't want to lose out on something just because someone is new. You'll get a sense really quickly if someone is a flake by talking to them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top