JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The way I look at it is this gun worth losing everything you have and I know it sounds harsh but I have seen it happen and almost happen to me.

When I was younger I had no problem going into debt for toys as I had a good job with a well established company for 10 plus years and was due for another raise and then the Company downsized and moved back to California. The cash flow was gone and the jobs that were available in my field only paid half what I was making. It taken my wife and me over 5 years to pay it down wiping out our savings and all the toys got sold for pennies on the dollar to do it including guns.

So you may think it's just a few hundred dollars and I can pay it off in no time but stuff happens and it sounds like you are somewhat running thin now. (Welcome to America)

The next question is this gun something you want because you always wanted it and dreamed about it or is it a knee jerk reaction to the political scene.

I understand both sides of the coin I just want you to think about it so you make the right call and not just a reaction.

What will make this rifle the end all be all and are you willing to give up other things for it.

I am gun person and if you look at my posts I do have a few guns but after the go around with the job and the finances in the past I save up now and wait until I have cash. I will admit I do have one credit card for emergencies and did buy a couple uppers on it not too long ago but I already had the money coming and it's paid off already.

Talk to your woman before you do it as trust will make a better marriage and if something happens to you she will have to deal with the finances.

Once you thought it out and do make the choice you will know it is the right one for you.

Sorry to sound like your father I just do not want you to make my mistakes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I completely agree with both your points. I would say that only the timing of the purchase is related to politics. These have been on my to buy list for a couple of years, but my wedding and some remodeling put them on the back burner. Now I am just wondering if it is best to go for it or take the chance to never have it. I am a person who tries to pay cash as well, but this time it seems like it might be prudent to just buy it.

I want, need, gotta have, don't have the cash, have plastic, and still remain senile. The want, need, and gotta have supersede. Weigh in the odds of coming elections. What's to come? No one really knows, so we speculate. I've been feeling froggy for a while now.

rub-it rub-it

I would buy a couple of lowers (you could have them shipped to Silver Falls Pawn) and then later get some LPK's and then uppers.
Piece it together and don't have a huge capital outlay all at once.

If you buy 80 percent lowers and then the government outlaws "assault weapons" they will most likely go after the parts also so you would be stuck with a paper weight that you will not be able to buy parts for. It is just something to think about. I am seriously thinking about moving if Brown gets elected.

Yes, get lowers or even unfinished lowers. Right now stuff is available, it WILL disappear at stupid prices near and after the election as the Feds or state legislatures trot out bills and executive orders to BAN "evil guns". The definition of which is getting ridiculous..... I regretted not getting a DPMS LR308 just before Newtown, I had the money, I had the rifle in my hand in the shop...and I talked myself and let myself be talked out of it. The money got gobbled up by other crap, and I spent a year during the panic trying to piece together a decent black rifle.

You don't need one until the day they tell you that you don't need one. That's when you answer by getting one, then another and another. Registration was never going to happen...well, guess what, it has defacto, with the universal background check....anybody who tells you different is either naive, or, a government agent. If all the millions of phones can be tracked to within a foot of actual location (pokemon go ring a bell?).....when or if they choose.....they can send you a letter saying, we know you have them and you better turn them in......That is the brave new world we quite possibly could be facing. You should think about your answer to that letter NOW, and act accordingly. Me, I sell off non essentials to get items I think will be essential, sooner, rather than later.

Brutus Out

Go for it.

If a ban happens, your good.

If a ban does not happen, you can always sell them. Even if you take a loss, it may not be too large. Just don't plan on making money, rather a modest loss.

I don't think it's quite as cut & dry as "don't buy it if you don't have the money". And "CCs are the devil". While I normally agree wholeheartedly with those sentiments when talking about wants, these are quite unique circumstances that make the decision much harder. You have to ask yourself some honest questions.

Do you really feel that this purchase is a need vs want?

What is the realistic time line to erase the debt, taking into consideration unexpected expenses like car repairs etc?

Do you really feel like the time line on getting the item is short enough that you will not be able to save enough in time to purchase it?

Do you believe you will damage your relationship with your wife and is that price worth it?

Is the stress of not having the item worse than the stress of debt hanging over your head?

These are personal questions that only you can answer.

Thats exactly why I don't have one.

I totally agree, however everyone's circumstances are a bit different. It's allways allways best to remain debt free, I agree.

Sometimes life happens though, and some choices come up, like the choice the OP is considering.

Remain free of less debt & risk never being able to have something, or go into minor debt, to get something under consideration for a long while.

In this circumstance we're not talking about going on a "frivolous" shopping spree, but a purchase which would happen sometime over the next several years anyways.

I suppose the best thing the OP could do is to set down & figure out the purchase cost of them now, on a credit card & include the interest. if that cost is reasonable to the OP, then that answeres his question.

If that cost is unreasonable, then factor in the "unknown" of future politics, and then the OP really just has to roll the dice. Figure he will lose out because he spent to much on them because of the interest, and any future price fluctuations (which are unknown), but I'll go back to the known. The interest. Can the OP justify that loss as a risk, I say it's a worthwhile risk to take is all.

If you feel the need to buy with CC''s, do it. You can always resell them at double the price or more if you live in a non free state. Guns are monetary and freedom securing investments.

...Do you believe you will damage your relationship with your wife and is that price worth it?...

That is the most important thing above any other considerations! You both have to be fully on board with such a purchase, if your not, then don't do it. It's not worth throwing a wrench into your lifelong partnership over financials unnessasarily.

Have an open honest conversation about it, and your concerns governing your whys & what ifs & such. If she's on board, then continue on your thought process. If she's not on board, then just stop rite there & leave it.

Yes, buy a few of the things you want now. Mags and ammo too as there will be another panic once guns are the topic of debate.

Right now you can find all the firearms, parts, mags and ammo.. A few months from now it'll look like mobs have ransacked the shelves.

I myself have a pre and post "ban" firearm wish list.
Still after a squad scout, another beater AK, a paratrooper length SKS, a faux dissipator AR and a mossberg 930
I doubt the squad scout will happen in time, but Im sure I can get 2-3 of the 4 listed in time. Also seeking to bulk up on mags for firearms that Ive been lacking on.

I shifted my food, social and entertainment budget entirely to firearms. Until November :D Im also recently re-single and dont have kids.. so that helps.

If cash is thin, get a part time job or ask your employer for some overtime. If the wife complains tell her "I want stuff", I am putting in the extra effort/work to get it.

Even a part time job only on Saturdays or week ends and you can buy most any gun pretty quickly.

Me? I got a side business selling stuff I manufacture on flea bay, this pays for my toys.

I can buy almost anything I want even if it is pretty expensive as long as I am willing to plan and save.

You have credit in the form of work you can do to bring in more $$ to pay for what ever you want. Use your potential to produce extra income to get what you want not credit cards.

Just one mans way of looking at things, but it works for me.

Robert

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads