JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So both Washington and Oregon are looking to ban so called "assault rifles" during the next legislative sessions. Based on this, my question is, should I go ahead and charge what I have been wanting to buy that will be banned under proposed the legislation, which I hate to use credit for this, or should I just let things play out and buy when I have the cash? On one hand, if they do get things passed, which in Oregon the Dems have the majority to be able to do whatever they want, then I would like like a genius for buying before the ban, but if they don't pass then I will be stuck paying them off. Plus, I have to think of a good way to sell this idea to the wife. What do you guys think?

That's a totally personal call, and I wouldn't want to advise you to spend money you don't have (not a good idea).

The fact is that we really don't know yet how things will play out in Oregon in 2017. Regardless of who gets the Governor seat (most likely Brown), the makeup of the legislature will be a bigger factor. There are a number of anti-gun folks that are not running for re-election this year, that could open the door to unseat the majority that the Democrats hold in the House and the Senate - and we don't need a lot of wins to do it. If voters in Oregon get their collective heads out of their a$$es this election and vote PRO GUN, we may just be able to get the votes we need to block some of that new legislation - and that's about the best we can hope for.

But if things go like they did last time and too many pro-gun folks either vote for anti-gun people or sit home on their a$$es and don't bother to vote pro-gun, well, we are likely quite screwed.

I would say if you're worried about it, find a way to get what you want now without putting yourself in financial risk. Otherwise you'll have to see what happens.

And in reality, if other states are any indication, look for any new law to either not be enforced or so laxly enforced as to be somewhat worthless.

Trust me when I say that I don't like the idea of buying on credit, but it worries me a bit that I may never be able to buy again.

I do hope that us Oregonians show up and vote pro-gun, but it is an uphill battle and I am not confident we will prevail. Additionally, you can almost guarantee that if Clinton wins there will be another run on guns and ammo, so it would seem that now is the time to buy.

They print more money everyday.. I see money as a means to gain things you need and want. That's it.
And-
It's much easier to get more money than it is the things you desire,especially if they are no longer allowed.
That's what I tell MY wife,anyway..
Of course,not everyone is as flippant about the future as I am.Just my opinion.Yours is the only one that matters here.

you could always buy a stripped lower, or an upgrade ready complete rifle (like the colt expanse) that isn't super expensive and keep it in the safe until you have money for parts. That way, you'll at least have SOMETHING if a ban is indeed enacted. Parts shouldn't be too hard to find, even if they pass a ban. And you won't go thousands of dollars in the hole. I think that's what I'm going to do soon, just in case! (I also need an excuse to get that colt expanse that has been calling my name lately...)

I dont have funds to buy new guns either (college student), but i went in on a group buy for some 80% receivers that i finished last weekend. Ill also probably buy a few more stripped lowers before november. Maybe some more mags but I dont think its the time for me at least to dump a ton of money into complete firearms. Lowers are the regulated part and what will be banned if it anything passes. Im pretty sure i will be able to get other parts to complete the builds, and if not my paps has a few residences outside the state that I could drop ship stuff to.

Not quite advocating this; but... as a former college student with thousands in student loan to pay off.. it is all a matter of priorities. Right now the loan is not at the top of my priorities, but I do make sure I pay it... even with a relatively low paying job (10 a hour), I was able to build my own AR15, and get a better vehicle, and saving up for wedding and new place to live with the fiancee.... However in between getting a job and living on social security due to my deafness, I was able to acquire a SKS, then sold that for money, then Hi Point 995 Classic recently, then got the job, worked for few months before spending money on another gun (the AR15 build), and now it's just ammo and mags ans spare parts in addition to the loan and wedding. Understand that it depends on who you owe money to, my primary loan is a Fed loan, and if I pay out 1-10% on the principal, it could be settled, then I just have to pay down the interest itself. (working with an attorney on that)

EDIT: I built and bought the AR15 and Hi point 995 using cash/money I already had, instead of using credit.

Another perspective;
Buying guns on credit is possible clearly, so is putting them on layaway from a local gun shop if needed... BUT credit bills will always be there... guns may not.

If you know you will still be working and paying off the credit bills and you feel confident enough that the particular guns you want won't be available in Oregon or Washington in a few months-a years time, then by all means take the risk yourself.

I do have some stripped lowers, but I am really looking at two specific rifles. They have been on my to buy list for awhile, but other things have taken priority such as a wedding and some remodeling. I guess I should probably just pull the trigger. No pun intended, well maybe a little. Explaining it to the wife will be the tough part.

Someone out there successfully made a hybrid FAL/SKS firearms and got around the whole 922R laws by making his own receiver.... considering that the FAL uses a tilting bolt, much like the SKS did... the hybrid was also able to take AK mags.

Lowers are the evil part.

Buy a couple. Then you have already bought the naughty part according to the government.

The rest can be done over time.

$65 each for anderson lowers

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews