JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What's your budget? Like everything, there are what I call overkill devices out there for sale.

I have several. A Gempro digital scale I picked up from a member here some years back, and a couple RCBS balance beam scales. I've used both, but prefer the Gempro digital for most of what I do (checking handgun charges periodically that are thrown from a dillon powder measure on a progressive). When loading rifle, I charge cases on a RCBS chargemaster which has an integrated scale. I do/have checked the accuracy to one of the other scales from time to time, and do so when I first drop a couple charges initially on the chargemaster after it has been sitting for a while.

I like Dillon stuff. But when it comes to their electronics, I don't think the lifetime warranty applies. So not sure paying the dillon premium is worth it to me for a scale? Your perspective may differ though.

I have several. A Gempro digital scale I picked up from a member here some years back, and a couple RCBS balance beam scales. I've used both, but prefer the Gempro digital for most of what I do (checking handgun charges periodically that are thrown from a dillon powder measure on a progressive). When loading rifle, I charge cases on a RCBS chargemaster which has an integrated scale. I do/have checked the accuracy to one of the other scales from time to time, and do so when I first drop a couple charges initially on the chargemaster after it has been sitting for a while.

I like Dillon stuff. But when it comes to their electronics, I don't think the lifetime warranty applies. So not sure paying the dillon premium is worth it to me for a scale? Your perspective may differ though.
I too like Dillion but when my scale failed, I found out the warranty didn't cover the load cell? What else is there? OK, the LCD...

+1 on the chargemaster. They can be finicky, but there are lots of videos you can check out on how to tune/modify them if needed. Mine is an older model, but still meters within +-.1gr 80 or 90% of the time.

Biggest question is use? Are you just checking powder throwers and occassional load development, shooting beyond 600m ect. Beam scale and a set of check weights. Alot of load development an automated (chargemaster) scale. Beyond 6 a scale that reads to 2/100ths.

+1 on the chargemaster. They can be finicky, but there are lots of videos you can check out on how to tune/modify them if needed. Mine is an older model, but still meters within +-.1gr 80 or 90% of the time.
I have a Chargemaster, too. I never use it anymore. I use my Ohaus 5-0-5. Much more consistent.

I've had a 505 crap the bed on me, almost overloaded some cartridges but the level of powder didn't look right. Re-zeroed the scale and it still appeared wrong. Went to the store and picked up a scale weight check set and sure enough it was off a bunch. I could not adjust it back into range so I bent the beam and threw the scale away. I'm a firm believer now in having something to verify your scale whether it be a penny with what it is supposed to weigh, a bullet, anything. Just get in the habit of verifying your scale is reading accurately during set up.

Flutter or zero drift on electronic scales, particularly in an area illuminated with fluorescent lights can sometimes be stopped with ferris oxide line filters on the power supply cord.

Clip-on Noise Filter,VSKEY [10pcs 3mm] Anti-Interference High-Frequency Ferrite Core Choke Clip for Telephones,Tvs,Speakers,Radio,Audio Equipment Noise Suppressor (3mm Inner Diameter) https://a.co/d/hfZhXPE

Biggest question is use? Are you just checking powder throwers and occassional load development, shooting beyond 600m ect. Beam scale and a set of check weights. Alot of load development an automated (chargemaster) scale. Beyond 6 a scale that reads to 2/100ths.
Scale use...not realistically defined at this point, but...probably moderate and varied use. Getting my brain aligned with available setup space limitations, local shooting locations & availability, as well as a variety of other time eating interests has made it a slow (but very enjoyable) process complicated by expanding calibers I'll need to load for.

I need to setup and refurbish the RL550B after sitting in storage for 20 years, and I have a Rock Chucker Supreme new in the box waiting for a bench. I learned to reload on the 550B and have never used a single stage press, so I'm coming at this from a different perspective this time, as opposed to simply running batches of 9mm and .223 for range playtime. My my firearms/reloading interests began reasserting themselves as the covid shutdown set in, and I've worked my way into 3 new additional calibers to load for since then. Timing and space have been the controlling factors for bench setup but I'm finally prioritizing resolution of the space issue.

So...initially I'll be in load development mode, developing short to mid range rounds for .44 Mag, 10 mm, 300 BLK, .450 Bushmaster and .223 Wylde...so scale usage will likely be high for a while...and I never liked using my little Hornady balance beam scale. I looked at the Chargemaster...and while it might be overkill at this point...combining the powder measure and scale might make it worthy...so I'll be doing a bit of research.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top