JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I reload. My kids don't. My friends don't. Nobody else I personally know reloads. My wife sure as hell doesn't have a clue about any of it. Which means when my time comes she is going to have one helluva estate sale for all my reloading equipment and supplies. I may not be the only reloader in that situation. In fact, maybe there are a number of us "reloading loners" out there? Gives me pause to wonder since I bought everything I have new and I've probably missed a lot of great buys over the years. But the thing is, I've been to plenty of garage sales and estate sales, and never once have I seen reloading equipment or supplies offered at them. Makes me wonder why not.
Have any of you had the good fortune to find your reloading stuff at garage or estate sales? Please share your experiences.

Also, being a "reloading loner" is not exactly ideal so wondering if there are "clubs" or "gatherings" of reloaders like there are for other hobbies? Seems like a good idea, especially for a hobby like reloading where wisdom-sharing can be so helpful, but never heard of same. I don't shoot competitively so perhaps that's the reason. Anyway, figured I'd pose the questions and see what other folks have to share.

I'm not aware of others getting together to reload. It's usually an individual thing and probably that's a good thing. Distraction is the last thing you want or need when loading a brass cased explosive.

As far as getting together for discussions, that's what reloading forums are for.

Not aware of any clubs or the sort.

Most people who own equipment know other people who are willing to buy equipment when the time comes. I picked up a Dillon 550 that way.

As far as descendants, if they aren't willing to keep it, they'd likely post it for sale somewhere, or take it all to a gunshop for an offer, get totally hosed, but not care because it's just "old guy junk" they want to get rid of anyway.

Most people who own equipment know other people who are willing to buy equipment when the time comes. I picked up a Dillon 550 that way.

As far as descendants, if they aren't willing to keep it, they'd likely post it for sale somewhere, or take it all to a gunshop for an offer, get totally hosed, but not care because it's just "old guy junk" they want to get rid of anyway.
That's what I'm afraid of, kind of gives me a pain in my gut to think of that happening. But whatever, won't be around then so...

As far as getting together for discussions, that's what reloading forums are for.

Not aware of any clubs or the sort.
I like reloading forums because they're interesting, but I can't honestly say I've used them much as guidance for reloading. Guess I can say that about most stuff I see on the Internet, that it is interesting but I'm cautious about relying on it (especially when it comes to something potentially dangerous like reloading). Whatever reloading knowledge I have mostly came from YouTube, books, and trial/error.

I may not be the only reloader in that situation. In fact, maybe there are a number of us "reloading loners" out there?
I dont know anyone that reloads. As far as community, I learned to reload primarily from this forum, several members here have really stood out to me including @DizzyJ who took time out to chat with me about getting into it and gave me a good foundation on shoulder bumping. Forever grateful.

I like reloading forums because they're interesting, but I can't honestly say I've used them much as guidance for reloading. Guess I can say that about most stuff I see on the Internet, that it is interesting but I'm cautious about relying on it (especially when it comes to something potentially dangerous like reloading). Whatever reloading knowledge I have mostly came from YouTube, books, and trial/error.
If you participate in a forum you learn whos knowledgable and matches your style. Sometimes I dont get the answers I hoped for, most times I do. I learned a lot from youtube as well, but can say theres also a lot of stuff to weed thru there too. Surprisingly the Lee book everyone convinced me to buy didnt really teach me much lol, but I admit I jumped in too deeply into advanced stuff I wasnt ready for but thats another subject.

That's what I'm afraid of, kind of gives me a pain in my gut to think of that happening. But whatever, won't be around then so...
I've read this same style post from other members and I always volunteer to be their adopted nephew! - ha.

Sometimes it skips a generation. My grandpa reloaded. My dad doesn't enjoy it like I do.

I plan to impress into my children the notion that even if they don't love shooting, the ability to make components into ammunition is a good option to have.

I learned a lot from youtube as well, but can say theres also a lot of stuff to weed thru there too.
Ain't it the truth! I suppose that's a good thing that there are so many reloading YouTubers to choose from, but it can be a bit overwhelming. For my mileage the YouTubers who have helped me the most are UltimateReloader, GunBlue490, and HornadyLoader. All three seem to be focused on precision, and I guess what I appreciate most is that they aren't trying to be flashy like so many other YouTubers, just knowledgeable and genuinely helpful.

I reload. My kids don't. My friends don't. Nobody else I personally know reloads. My wife sure as hell doesn't have a clue about any of it. Which means when my time comes she is going to have one helluva estate sale for all my reloading equipment and supplies. I may not be the only reloader in that situation. In fact, maybe there are a number of us "reloading loners" out there? Gives me pause to wonder since I bought everything I have new and I've probably missed a lot of great buys over the years. But the thing is, I've been to plenty of garage sales and estate sales, and never once have I seen reloading equipment or supplies offered at them. Makes me wonder why not.
Have any of you had the good fortune to find your reloading stuff at garage or estate sales? Please share your experiences.

Also, being a "reloading loner" is not exactly ideal so wondering if there are "clubs" or "gatherings" of reloaders like there are for other hobbies? Seems like a good idea, especially for a hobby like reloading where wisdom-sharing can be so helpful, but never heard of same. I don't shoot competitively so perhaps that's the reason. Anyway, figured I'd pose the questions and see what other folks have to share.
So as far as not seeing stuff at garage/estate sales, they do popup from time to time. Most of the time I've found (when I had the time to run around town) that anything gun related is just about the first thing sold. Most of the time and this was my experience, it was always a group of old timers(65+yo) who would show up crack of dawn and always try to buy the stuff before the sales starts. Most of the time they'd make really low offers before most people got there and they would make it sound like the value of the items was that low. Most the people selling any gun stuff don't really know what it's worth and they take the person's word for it, simply because they figured the old timers knows better and belived they wouldn't lie or try to cheat them. I had a few who I caught doing this to a lady who's husband had died and I called them out in front of her. They got mad at me and tried telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. They got madder when I started giving her the retail value of the items. I even listed an ad I found from one of them that listed similar items for 10x what they offered her, that one earned me a "f--k off" from that guy and I laughed cause she asked him to leave after he did that. She told him she didn't like being lied to or cheated and didn't care for his behavior. After that I offered her a fair value for the items and took them home. You have to be careful though, some of them will try to start a fight or threaten you for calling them out. My favorite was the guy who had 40y on me and was 180lb lighter who wanted to fight me in a person's driveway, the smartas* in me told him to go home before he broke a hip.

Sorry to make that long but it was too make a point. Even if you're next of kin or whoever handles your estate(just incase) doesn't reload or doesn't know anything about guns and gun stuff. Make sure that you have a list of what you have and a value of what it's worth (10-20% below current market values) and update the values about every 2 years. Also, never belive that just because someone is older, that they won't lie or try to cheat you. A lot of the old timers who act that way remind me of politicians and I don't rightly care for them. Experience vary, most are decent folk but only takes a few bad ones to ruin things.

Ain't it the truth! I suppose that's a good thing that there are so many reloading YouTubers to choose from, but it can be a bit overwhelming. For my mileage the YouTubers who have helped me the most are UltimateReloader, GunBlue490, and HornadyLoader. All three seem to be focused on precision, and I guess what I appreciate most is that they aren't trying to be flashy like so many other YouTubers, just knowledgeable and genuinely helpful.
It's definitely not a bad place to learn or get info from if you find the right vids. I myself started with spending several days reading through a Hornady manual and man is that some dry reading, for me anyway. Than I found a few vids that supported or expanded on what I read, Hornady and ultimate reloader were good ones I found as well.

I started reloading way before Al Gore invented the internet so learned with a mentor and then expanded my knowledge with books. I was shooting a lot back then so was around lots of shooters, most of which reloaded to save on the cost of being a high volume shooter and to make better ammo. We'd talk about reloading and even share recipes like old women at a bake sale. But there was no reloading club mostly everyone just did it in their garage. It wasn't uncommon to visit someone and see a Mec or RCBS press set up in the corner of a work bench. It was a different time where men had tools and knew how to use them. As time has past the concept of men with tools and the knowledge to use them has turned into let's throw it a way and buy a new one. Consumerism at it's best. As far as finding stuff at estate sales mostly I just buy brass. For my own estate my son is tasked with taking what he wants and then helping my wife sell off the rest of the gun/reloading stuff.

I learned to reload from my Dad, and still do enjoy the time we spend together in my garage at the reloading gear, and also when we are able to get together and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I have a couple friends who also reload (one of whom I helped get started), and have met quite a few folks here on the forum over the years who enjoy the hobby. I have occasionally found used reloading gear and supplies at garage and estate sales, but I don't typically have or make the time to frequent such; I probably have acquired more of my used gear from members here or other online forums than at a garage or estate sale.

When the time comes, my family will have probably quite a bit of reloading stuff to move along. My kids don't seem interested in it yet (they are still young) like I was when I was little, and my wife is not interested in it.

If I die, I don't care. My kids could give it away - they'll be set. Getting rid of your stuff is a you problem, not a their problem.
In reality, if my life follows a normal trajectory, I'll be selling off a lot of gear in 15 years and focus on a precious few guns.
Reloading tends to be a solitary endeavor. Usually the equipment and components occupy a small space. it's me and my dogs in mine. Occasionally the wife comes out, grabs a chair and chats. But, it tends to be a one way conversation because I'm focused on what I'm doing.
Unlike wrenching on cars, can't go over to a buddy's house, drink beer and reload, nor they to mine - it is counter productive.
Only three members here have been over to my cave, and me to two members reloading areas. Lots of great conversation, but no reloading gets done.
I've invited a few over to guide a little, but no one has accepted. Must be my leprosy.

Do you belong to a gun club? If not join one? At our club, at the annual 'swap meet' widows of former members
sell their husband's reloading stuff. Some of these lady's we have never seen before at the range
but we knew there husband well. We treat them right with fair price offers. Most widow's have no idea what
it is worth. I think most of us keep in mind that our wife will be doing the same thing some day

Last Edited:
When I got back into reloading after a forty plus years I started small.
Now I have a whole lot of reloading equipment and still buying. When I cash in my chips my two sons and grandson will go through what they want and the rest will be sold by two friends that deal in used reloading equipment.
Once you cash in your chips I'd doesn't matter to you any more.
My goal in to start up reloading classes, that us why I still buy stuff.
Just spent $500 on Monday for a Dillion SquareD press, a Texan single stage press and a Ohaus scale.

I have five progressive presses a Redding T-7, and a bunch of other presses that I'll have set up for people to try out before they take the plunge down the rabbit hole.

Some stuff you buy is useless, some stuff is the cats a$$.
The main thing is research and stay focused with out interruption.

Kind of the way of the world anymore. I got a bunch of my reloading stuff from my dad when he passed away. A bunch more I got from my wife's step-dad before he passed away. When he gave it to me, he told me he had had most of it for 30 years and never reloaded a single cartridge. He bought the stuff from his mom when his step-dad passed away, just because she needed the cash.

I was helping my dad reload before I was even a teenager. I still have some ammo we loaded together when I was about 15 (47 years ago). My son hasn't ever helped me do any reloading. He's definitely a gun guy, but reloading - not so much. He's only 26, so I guess there's still time.

I have several sets of dies I acquired just in case the SHTF situation arises, that have never been used. While I don't have a ton of brass/primer/bullets etc., I've got many, many more than I've loaded over the past 10 years. Considering the amount of ammo I've stocked up, with my current sad shooting habits (don't go nearly enough), I'd have to live to 125 to get through my stockpile. In the past 10 years there have probably been years I didn't go through 500 rounds total. Most of my reloading these days is due to the high price of certain cartridges - .300 Wby Mag, .222 Remington, .218 Bee, etc. I do spend a lot of time flinging arrows with my Bowtech Carbon Icon. Arrows are reusable without any additional cost. :)

I can recall only one time when a friend and I got together to load some .38 Special and .357 Magnum rounds. We went in together to buy some carbide dies (which were a pretty new thing back then) and sat down and loaded over 1,000 rounds between the two cartridges on a single stage press. Other than that, helping my dad reload is the only other situation where I wasn't loading solo.

So as far as not seeing stuff at garage/estate sales, they do popup from time to time. Most of the time I've found (when I had the time to run around town) that anything gun related is just about the first thing sold. Most of the time and this was my experience, it was always a group of old timers(65+yo) who would show up crack of dawn and always try to buy the stuff before the sales starts. Most of the time they'd make really low offers before most people got there and they would make it sound like the value of the items was that low. Most the people selling any gun stuff don't really know what it's worth and they take the person's word for it, simply because they figured the old timers knows better and belived they wouldn't lie or try to cheat them. I had a few who I caught doing this to a lady who's husband had died and I called them out in front of her. They got mad at me and tried telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. They got madder when I started giving her the retail value of the items. I even listed an ad I found from one of them that listed similar items for 10x what they offered her, that one earned me a "f--k off" from that guy and I laughed cause she asked him to leave after he did that. She told him she didn't like being lied to or cheated and didn't care for his behavior. After that I offered her a fair value for the items and took them home. You have to be careful though, some of them will try to start a fight or threaten you for calling them out. My favorite was the guy who had 40y on me and was 180lb lighter who wanted to fight me in a person's driveway, the smartas* in me told him to go home before he broke a hip.

Sorry to make that long but it was too make a point. Even if you're next of kin or whoever handles your estate(just incase) doesn't reload or doesn't know anything about guns and gun stuff. Make sure that you have a list of what you have and a value of what it's worth (10-20% below current market values) and update the values about every 2 years. Also, never belive that just because someone is older, that they won't lie or try to cheat you. A lot of the old timers who act that way remind me of politicians and I don't rightly care for them. Experience vary, most are decent folk but only takes a few bad ones to ruin things.
Excellent insights, but sad to hear what the "old timers" are doing, especially when it comes to that level of greed and avarice trying to take advantage of innocent people who don't know better. And good on you making sure fairness prevails. Heard similar storioes about "old timers" during the pandemic when ammo and reloading supplies were scarce, and they were trying to hog whatever they could get as quickly as it came in the door. Heard that straight from the counter person at a LGS (two actually), so not just some kind of internet rumor. What the hell? Are they just trying to pad their social security or something? If that's what is driving their greed and avarice then I have to wonder whether some of them are using NWFA to facilitate it.

Do you belong to a gun club? If not join one? At our club, at the annual 'swap meet' widows of former members
sell their husband's reloading stuff. Some of these lady's we have never been seen before at the range
but we knew there husband well. We treat them right with fair price offers. Most widow's have no idea what
it is worth. I think most of us keep in mind that our wife will be doing the same thing some day
Very good comment, Ron. Not quite sure about the gun club idea. I belong to a gun range where I meet a variety of enthusiasts, but I suspect that's not the same as you intended.

I have reloaded with dad and grandpa as long as I can remember. until the internet came along I had no idea so many reloaded .
at least half the equipment I own came from garage and estate sales. a lot of that the sellers had no idea what it was. I'm willing to bet a large amount of loading equipment ends up in the trash because they don't know what it is, or who would want it.

I will say this, The internet has been a great place to read about what others do and how they set up their benches. before the 90's and home computers I read every book and magazine on reloading. I still have a large library. My kids can't believe I keep that stuff. Everything they need to know is on YouTube!
but what happens when the net is down? or you are looking for info on an old cartridge.
For a while I got interested in paper patched bullets. There is not much on YT about Paper patching! DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top