JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
E. Idaho man gets 10 years for home burglary, shooting

Seriously, this guy breaks into someone's home and tries to kill them while burglarizing their house and only gets 5 years!!! And the judge feels bad for handing that out!! I know of people that have gotten longer for DUI's!!!

Idaho needs to quit worrying about dui's and curfew violations and start being more serious about violent offenders!

That's pretty ridiculous for armed robbery where he fired shots. Strange he drive all the way to Rigby for a house robbery when there are so many high priced seasonally occupied homes he could have burglarized much closer on the other side of the Tetons and also a few in Driggs that were along his way to Rigby. Isn't that were Gill Gates and Augie Bush III got in a tussle over one's aircraft hanger blocking the other's view?

Pretty weak. I would have expected more out of Idaho.
On a side note, good for junior for meeting force with force. Too bad he didn't aim a little higher.

E. Idaho man gets 10 years for home burglary, shooting

Seriously, this guy breaks into someone's home and tries to kill them while burglarizing their house and only gets 5 years!!! And the judge feels bad for handing that out!! I know of people that have gotten longer for DUI's!!!

Idaho needs to quit worrying about dui's and curfew violations and start being more serious about violent offenders!

The article and the title clearly state that he got ten years, not five. He'll be eligible for parole after five, that doesn't mean he'll receive it. The article also mentions nothing about the judge feeling bad about the sentence, I don't understand why you're editorializing. Sentencing guidelines are passed by the legislature and parole decisions are made by the executive, so I still don't understand what you're outraged about.

WALawyer, there's a link within the posted story that has a more detailed account along with statements from the judge. Might shed more light.

Uncontrolled drinking kills and injures more people than all the guns combined. I don't think we should soften our stance on that. (I am not a tee totaler but haven't been under the influence since the Nixon administration) I also believe we will pay huge costs as a society for the current trend to legalization of Marijuana. No one has been brave enough to equate the quick rise in social costs in in places like Colorado to legalization. (13%last year) that will dwarf any tax income from the sale not to mention the lost lives and broken families. We are in the process of producing a more divided society than we have ever had. We have the brightest best educated people in history (home schoolers?) and people so under the influence they won't be able to support themselves. The sentence here is probably pretty typical (10 years) the rest is up to the parol board. My interest at this point would be why he did it? Did he need to pay his drug dealer or habit? Frequently, that is what it comes down to. Society is not brave enough to confront that.

That's pretty ridiculous for armed robbery where he fired shots. Strange he drive all the way to Rigby for a house robbery when there are so many high priced seasonally occupied homes he could have burglarized much closer on the other side of the Tetons and also a few in Driggs that were along his way to Rigby. Isn't that were Gill Gates and Augie Bush III got in a tussle over one's aircraft hanger blocking the other's view?
Those guys are not soft targets.......they have security guards, systems and resources to protect there assets. I believe there is also a prejudice by law enforcement against typical people. I have had significant thefts from my boats that they wouldn't even come down and investigate.....What do you think happens when Bill Gates gives them a call?

Yes the link within the link states he only got 5 determinate, so the fact that this guy even has a chance at getting out within five years is absolutely ridiculous. I have distant family that recently got that same sentence on drug possession charges. Just seems like a slap on the wrist. I also wish the kid would have aimed a bit higher, or had a heavier load in the gun.

WALawyer I feel that if someone came into your home with the intent of robbing you and also fired shots at you and your son with the intention of killing you, that you would feel like 5 to 10 would be a bit light.

Less time for murder then moving drugs across state lines or having over a certain limit of an illegal drug.

Tired of paying to house druggies and letting murderers go free in less time:mad:.

The article and the title clearly state that he got ten years, not five. He'll be eligible for parole after five, that doesn't mean he'll receive it. The article also mentions nothing about the judge feeling bad about the sentence, I don't understand why you're editorializing. Sentencing guidelines are passed by the legislature and parole decisions are made by the executive, so I still don't understand what you're outraged about.

Bellow is kind of the rest of the story. It was hard for me to find and I would not even have looked if another poster had not mentioned it. Sounds to me like the judge was swayed by the scum claiming he was a changed person now. Not sure I buy that crap either. Considering he was gut shot at close range with a shotgun maybe he will have some kind of lingering reminders. Have to guess the kid must have been using bird shot for him to have lived. POS tried to kill the home owner and his son. I don't like the time he got either.
By JOHNATHAN HOGAN
[email protected]
A Victor man was sentenced Monday in Jefferson County Court for attempting to burglarize and shoot a man a year ago.

District Judge Alan Stephens sentenced William Shinkle, 33, to five to 10 years in prison, citing Shinkle's decision to shoot at the family.

Shinkle, 33, was shot while breaking into a Rigby home with two accomplices. The group was stealing items when the homeowner, Bob Packard, was returning home from visiting a friend and Packard's teenage son, Brian, was awakened by the noise of the break-in.

The Packards met each other in the kitchen as they were trying to figure out what was going on.

Bob decided to walk out to the front yard, to see if there was anyone around. That's when he said he spotted a man trying to crawl out the family's spare bedroom window.

The man retreated back into the room and Bob headed back inside.

Bob again met with Brian in the kitchen, and they walked down the darkened hallway toward the spare bedroom. Brian, then 17, was trailing his dad, and had grabbed his shotgun out of a cabinet. In the hallway the Packards saw that the door to Bob's room had been kicked open - likely producing the loud banging sound that awakened Brian minutes before.

As they stepped into the room Shinkle started shooting at them.

Shinkle fired multiple rounds before Brian shot him in the lower abdomen with the shotgun.

In the commotion Shinkle's accomplices, Hillary Porter and Stoney Fisher, fled. One of the suspect's stole Bob's pickup truck, which had the keys in it.

Shinkle was later taken to the hospital.

After recovering from his injury, Shinkle was arrested and charged with three felonies, two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of possession of a controlled substance. Two misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of burglary tools were dismissed by Prosecutor Paul Butikofer as part of the plea agreement.

"I don't think I can do anything less with the egregious nature of this case," Stephens said of his sentence.

Faren Eddins, Shinkle's defense attorney, said his client looked at the case differently than when he was arrested.

"My client has undergone a big change of heart and a big change of attitude," Eddins said.

Eddins said he noticed when reviewing Shinkle's police interviews that his client at first thought of himself as a victim, but in later interviews reflected on his own choices that led to the shooting. Eddins said Shinkle has been working to overcome his methamphetamine addiction and get his life back on track, and the pain he suffered physically and mentally would deter him from future crime.

Butikofer said he was happy to hear Shinkle had reflected on his crime, but said a prison sentence was necessary to deter other would-be burglars.

"The defendant's actions were a crime cocktail of the worst kind," Butikofer said.

Shinkle said he regretted what he had done.

"I sincerely would like to apologize to the Packard family for the impact my actions had," Shinkle said. "I was scared and panicked and made a horrible decision."

Stephens said he was convinced Shinkle regretted his crimes, and agreed with Butikofer that his gunshot injury would serve as a deterrent to future crimes.

"But that's not all I need to consider," Stephens said.

In addition to prison time, Shinkle was sentenced to $500 fines for each charge and to pay $7,276.20 in restitution to the victims.

Stephens said he felt a 10-year minimum sentence would have been just as appropriate as five, and said his sentence may be considered light by some.

"I know that you maybe wished for something a bit less Mr. Shinkle, but I don't think I can give you less in good faith to the people of Idaho," Stephens said.

Yea the judge admits that people are going to feel the sentence is light, I'm sure he would have felt differently if him and his son were the ones being shot at... if that were the case this guy would probably be serving life.

A few years back I had a neighbor who had been Convicted of Murder 2. She did 5 years, her whole sentence, because somehow she lost her "good time" which is very hard to do. But, then hey she only stabbed her husband 17 times! I Frankly don't know why they even found her guilty.

A few years back I had a neighbor who had been Convicted of Murder 2. She did 5 years, her whole sentence, because somehow she lost her "good time" which is very hard to do. But, then hey she only stabbed her husband 17 times! I Frankly don't know why they even found her guilty.
She received a light sentence because of estrogen insanity......very common in today's society. It was her husband's fault.

She received a light sentence because of estrogen insanity......very common in today's society. It was her husband's fault.
By the time I knew her she wouldn't even admit she'd had a husband. One of the scary things was she retired from DSHS where she was inputting data. I often wondered how she got a State job as a felon and just how much of what she put into the system was accurate??? She was a scary and crazy old bat.

WALawyer I feel that if someone came into your home with the intent of robbing you and also fired shots at you and your son with the intention of killing you, that you would feel like 5 to 10 would be a bit light.

I don't disagree with you, but that's why we have neutral and detached government officers making sentencing decisions, not the victims of violent crime. If victims pronounced sentences, then everyone would hang.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews