JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently read an old article on the original incident that generated this statement and the scene in the movie

2 units were stationed on the same base - in Mogadishu, Delta and the Rangers

the Rangers are taught to safe their weapon by clearing the chamber, recocking the weapon and putting it on safe, then reinserting the mag

every AR owner knows you can't engage the safety, if it's not cocked

Delta used a different method, they cleared the chamber, decocked the weapon and reinserted the mag, safety now will not engage

the reasoning behind this was if you grabbed your weapon in the dark and the safety was off, you knew it wasn't charged

were as the Rangers, they didn't know if it was charged, loaded and safety on or just cocked and safety on

my preference is decocked and safety off

I run Gunfighter cocking handles and cock as I lift the firearm with my off hand

I also run 45 deg safety levers so I can flip it on and off without moving my hand

P1030916.JPG

Having been in the Battle of Mogadishu...I can say that in my experience..we were taught certain ways and methods...but often
in practice , used what actually worked for us...which may have been different , than what was taught or considered SOP.
Andy

When I was in, while in an "admin" environment, we always ran (and I still do to this day) empty chamber, de-cocked, and (obviously) safety off. Was the same for our 1911's (yeah, I'm vintage… LOL) and M-9's… (now I EDC Glocks so that's a different matter.)

Safe, easy to employ via gross motor-skills…. Pick it up, jack a round, ready for "bidness".

I was not in Mogadishu, or in the Rangers, but I always found this scene odd, the Captain insisting it was base policy to have your safety on

that meant a lot of Rangers were walking around with mags inserted, cocked and safety engaged

I can't see a Military advisor missing this and the article I read stated this was Ranger policy at the time

Blackhawk Down...is just a book and movie based on real events...
In both the book and movie....some scenes , characters , actions , etc...were added for dramatic effect .

Again...there was the method which was taught , the method which was SOP and the methods which were actually used...
All of which may differ.
Andy

It seems like my main point is not being understood...
So for the last time :

What was taught , what was supposed to be practiced or SOP...
Was not always done....

In any event....
The issue in the OP was not my experience when I was there.
Andy

I was an engineer, not a quantum Physicist

I understand his theory of wave function in energy states, specifically as it applies to ionizing radiation (my field)

explain what is a Schrodinger safety, as it applies to firearms

IMHO......teach all of the troops ONE WAY (the Army Way) and anyone (Army) will do it like that (manual of arms to get it ready to GO) all of the time. Think....."the lowest common denominator."

That being said......YES, I can also see that some train better and are of a higher degree of intelligence.

BUT.....it's MY base. Do it my way.

I can see that too. So, go with the flow and learn to adjust. Smart @$$ remarks will land you in a $h*# show. It's unnecessary......IMHO.

Aloha, Mark

Story time.

As a former LEO we had some occasions when we could "shoot the breeze" with all of the branches aka: military types, including MP's.

I had heard that Army MP's carried (mind you, back in the old days of the M1911A1) with a *loaded magazine inserted and nothing in the chamber. One time, I asked about it.

"If/when it's needed......REALLY QUICK....how does one get it into action?"

The answer was......that they TRAINED.

Hummm.......like "draw, rack and go"? *But then....the other story.....was that they actually went around with no magazine in the weapon. So maybe I'm wrong about the whole magazine thing? Maybe, it depended on what duty they were actually pulling?

Anyway.....
IMHO.....that's STUPID. Why not just carry cocked and locked? Yeah......probably because I was reading too much Jeff Cooper. And, what do I know anyway?

i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg

YES......we PD guys were still in the age of revolvers. So.....whatever.

Years later, I ran into an Army National Guard Captain (I worked with him) and asked again about the current state of carrying and manual of arms for the sidearm. Maybe by then, they had the M9? Anyway, he asked me to consider that......

Most of these guys were just young kids and mostly inexperienced with guns.

OK, Ok, ok......"the lowest common denominator." Now, it began to make more sense to me.

But whatever.....it's not affecting me. Yeah.....we were now carrying a holstered S&W 5906, magazine inserted and fully loaded, one in the chamber, safety off and ready to GO. Yup....the beauty of the double-action pull for the first cartridge.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads