JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
since I started this thread, I just checked the manuals from both the Air Force and Army
they have two different methods of safeing an M16 or M4

the Air Force does have you clear the chamber, then dry fire the rifle, the selector in Semi position ( I was trained in the AF on the M16 in '68)
the Army manual specifies have the chamber clear, rifle cocked and selector in SAFE position

BUT - an inspection of Army M4A1 in 2018 showed a 9% failure of the safety selectors due to field wear
I was trained the Air Force way, which is why I questioned the scene in the Movie

what one does in the field, is up to them

Lol... judging IQ based on Schrodinger is Pandora's box.

This is my safety:
2ls0ua.jpg

-Robert

But whatever.....it's not affecting me. Yeah.....we were now carrying a holstered S&W 5906, magazine inserted and fully loaded, one in the chamber, safety off and ready to GO. Yup....the beauty of the double-action pull for the first cartridge.

Aloha, Mark
I still have a 4506 - never did get used to that long double action pull

I carry it with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off

I trained myself to thumb the hammer back on pulling

the 4506 is one heavy pistol, being built on Smith's full sized 10mm frame

Had to look it up:

"We only know if it was safe or not when we've finished...and cannot know at the time the decision was made. Because every complex decision is both good and bad.

This is, of course, just a fancy way of warning against hindsight bias, but it does help to explain how successes and failures can arise from the same source and that purely focussing on failures is, at best, incomplete and, at worst, damagingly misleading. Perhaps this can also stop people trying to dissect decisions made in complex environments and unreasonably criticising those who had to make them at the time..."

Guess I'm one of the room temp guys. Damn, the air sure is thin up here!

Truth be known, I don't have a genuine Schrodinger, it's a knock-off.
Charging is noisy and slow when it's Go Time.
I'm charged with the Schrodinger engaged.
Just flip it and rock.

:cool:
Outside the wire, always locked & loaded, on safe. But that was more than 50 years ago and half way around the world.

Edit to add: on return, the SOP was to clear the weapon for a quick visual by the ranking NCO. New-in-country NCO's could be counted on to strenuously insist on their personal inspection for their first week or two. They quickly learned we were all over any soldier that was careless and there were more important tasks that required their attention, e.g. resupply, bubblegume burning detail for the biggest whiner, etc.

Last Edited:
Schrodinger reminded me of that time when.....

Spoken by a person who was of the "double protected class"......
"Hey Sarge.....I don't think that I can drive to town to do the transfer tonight because I'm tired and I might fall asleep and crash."

Yup......

They exist. And are, unfortunately, tolerated.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
But whatever.....it's not affecting me. Yeah.....we were now carrying a holstered S&W 5906, magazine inserted and fully loaded, one in the chamber, safety off and ready to GO. Yup....the beauty of the double-action pull for the first cartridge.

Aloha, Mark
Yep, S&W 5906 is a sweet thing when it comes to safety and being ready to engage immediately.

When I was in, while in an "admin" environment, we always ran (and I still do to this day) empty chamber, de-cocked, and (obviously) safety off. Was the same for our 1911's (yeah, I'm vintage… LOL) and M-9's… (now I EDC Glocks so that's a different matter.)

Safe, easy to employ via gross motor-skills…. Pick it up, jack a round, ready for "bidness".
When I was in the Gulf. USAF on guard duty. We were handed an M-16. One 20 rd mag, if I recall. Surely, not sighted in at any point. See you in 12hrs. We were more danger to ourselves than anyone else.

Purely as a civilian...

Bump in the night: Hammer down, Rapid Rack in chamber. Grab red handle and grip-n-rip and ready to rumble.

Out actively "in the field": Cocked, charged and locked with Triggersafe over trigger. Jerk lanyard, flip safety, bang.

It is a movie, it is fiction.

Get training from any Delta boy, CIF guy or regular old SF and the saftey is always on unless you are activley shooting. Stop shooting, movement,ect it goes on saftey. From delta plankholders to current guys, same applies.

Stop thinking Hollywood is real life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads