JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Part of me wants to make an AR45 or ar9. 7.62x39 might be fun as well. However, if it is best to start with 5.56 then I can do that as well.

I know I want a flat top rifle. I know putting on a gas piston system is a good idea, but I m not sure I care. I don't want an AR pistol.

I am new to the whole build your own rifle setup. I am fairly good with hand tools, but this is a domain I have never walked in before.

What would you more experienced guys tell a n00b to the AR scene?

I'll tell ya the same thing a coworker told me last year when I mentioned I was thinking about it...

Just do it.

and so I did. One week I bought a lower. A week or so later I bought an upper. Lil while later the lower parts. Then a barrel. And on and on. I amassed the parts over a couple months time, and then spent an hour putting it together with tools I already had plus @Oregon Quartermaster assistance with the barrel nut.

+1 on the just do it!!

built my first one last year between reading threads on NWFA and watching youtube video's its pretty easy. Now I am addicted and want to start milling 80% lowers

Careful its addicting and you can go broke quick :D

Respectfully ... another point of view based on useless experience. Buy what you want. In the long run you MAY be a more happy camper. It is what you do not know what you do not know about the ins and outs of building AR15 rifles properly.

For a home build some tools and gadgets are needed. Some of todays stuff is not needed. Some of the stuff needed you may not get. Also consider the skills and experience needed to do your own PROPERLY. This is expensive to lay on.

Right now prices are right. Lots and lots of providers of finished guns. Helpful hint. Pay more for a premium build from a major AR15 player. Pay the extra money to have your gun built correctly. Even then factory mistakes occur. Money well spent?

Respectfully again. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Put another way, if I had the need for an AR15 rifle, I would spec it out my way then have one of the leaders in precision do the actual build. Trust is important. Lots of folks today still do it correctly.

I want to build, not buy a prebuilt. I enjoy making things. The fun for me will be partially the fact that I put it together. Again, .45acp would be cool.

A few thoughts.

One, would an AR PCC require a different magwell, or just a spacer?
Two, good sources for PCC uppers?
Any brands to avoid parts wise?

I want to build, not buy a prebuilt. I enjoy making things. The fun for me will be partially the fact that I put it together. Again, .45acp would be cool.
Cut your AR teeth building a 5.56/.223 Wylde first.
The platform was designed for that cartridge and getting your first one built and running on 5.56 will give you a good understanding of the platform.

One, would an AR PCC require a different magwell, or just a spacer?
Two, good sources for PCC uppers?
Stop it and just build a 5.56 :D
Plenty of time to stray once you know what you are doing.
And when you do, pick something cool like .458 SOCOM

And don't listen to the "noise" about piston systems, that's coming from fanbois of other rifle designs.
AR15/M16/M4 has been defending the Free World on direct impingement for about 60 years now.

Any brands to avoid parts wise?
There are many brands to avoid....it's a minefield for the n00b builder.
Best thing to do is to post up here what you think your build list should like and the members can comment.
We might even be able to point you to some good shops and good deals on whatever.

Good luck with the build.

Last Edited:
I have a 5.56 and am a huge fan of PCCs.

PSA is acceptable, correct?

I suspect however that once you start building you build several. But I was debating getting into this and try a few calibers.

I suspect however that once you start building you build several. But I was debating getting into this and try a few calibers.
PSA generally has a decent assortment of parts.
They are about middle-of-the-road and if your Search Foo is strong you can sometimes find better stuff at similar prices.

What I wouldn't buy from PSA (personal opinion):

Barrel unless it was an FN
Any of their "house brand" furniture
Their house brand LPK (unless it has an upgraded FCG)
Their house brand BCG unless I knew it was a Toolcraft
Their house brand receivers (I don't want Civil War cannons on my AR) :)

Doesn't leave much, so in other words I'm usually buying National Brand stuff when I deal with PSA.

Once you start, you don't stop. I sometimes buy lowers because it's a future project to keep me busy. Same thing if I see a bolt action at a sale price with no base or scope. It's a future project. Some people like to grow a garden; I like to grow guns.

After working for a manufacturer I learned a lot. All that matters is sourcing out brands that have a good reputation for QC. I get a lot of my internals from stag, for example. Their endplates aren't substandard like others are and won't sheer when you stake em. Their springs are consistent. Their extension tubes never vary. Regardless who, don't buy bottom of the barrel. The ar15 market is saturated with Chinese diarrhea. Anderson manufacturing is the bare minimum imo.

Good affordable companies are:
Stag, colt, PSA, hardened arms.

I'm open to any private messages to anyone on this forum if they have any questions about building a rifle.

Stag is good stuff.
I do believe that the Stag brand is owned by Continental Machine Tool a gubmint M16/M4 parts contractor.
Not a fan of the big deer head on my receiver tho. :)
This is correct. Stag opened its doors in early 2000's, but it's parent company was producing parts waaaaay longer. Little lesser known fact: until companies like colt, SW, plenty of others did more in-house, continental was producing the industry with most of it's parts.

Better to build than buy--promote the spread of information and assembly skill. That way, even if they try to "ban" you can always get one part at a time in free states if needed... and there's always Eighty Percents for the ultimate flip-off.

Better to build than buy--promote the spread of information and assembly skill. That way, even if they try to "ban" you can always get one part at a time in free states if needed... and there's always Eighty Percents for the ultimate flip-off.
100 percent this. Uppers aren't NFA. Yet. Lol. Buy and build lowers. Stock up on mags. Buy extra firing pins, cam pins, gas rings, ect.

Keep in mind that with a gas piston the AR will suffer from carrier tilt. For the most part its a non-issue but its there.

For the most part DI or piston is irrelevant. Both work and go bang.

How about what parts you do like best?

I have had good luck w Stag parts kits, Rock River, Daniel Defense, Rainier Arms, BMC , many to choose from.

2nd would be Delton or Spikes, DPMS. I have built 2 Deltons and they functioned great. You can upgrade to chrome lining. A must for a Defensive AR. M16 bolt carrier chrome lined as well.

For accuracy White Oak Arms.

Is a $600 Delton as good as a Daniel Defense ? No, but for half the price I still have as much fun and it doesn't turn into a safe Queen like my ddm4 or White Oak. All just opinions. :)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews