JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Building a 6mm ARC upper. Will use an other setup for the lower. Have:
Upper: Aero M4E1
Handguard: Aero 15" MLOK
Barrel: 22" Shaw. On order. HBAR fluted.
Gas Block: Superlative Arms .750 set screw
Muzzle break: Not sure
BCG: Like to get a DLC version of Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel, hard to find these days.
CH: Not sure.
Optic: Not sure

Last Edited:
Received the 22" Shaw barrel. Looks nice. Even dimpled the underside of the gas port!
Got the 6.5 Grendel BCG. DLC coated, it should be slick but easy to clean. Bought through 65 Outfitters, although Arm or Ally had a better price. They wouldn't sell to my state.

1707696652728.jpeg

I'm in same bind. Have the AR 6 ARC and developed loads that were tested at 200 yds, and no easy way to stretch out and see what it'll do.

Nice looking rifle, especially at 850+ yards.

I think everyone has an AR in their safe that they never shoot anymore. Someone who is interested in a 6mm ARC can easily convert to it with a barrel, a bolt and a magazine to get started. You can always do more and better, but it is a very fun caliber to shoot.

Setting up the gas system was pretty easy. Now ejecting at about 4 to 4:30. Last round locks back with 103gr Hornady Black factory ammo.

so, why the 6mm ARC over the 6.5 Grendel when they use the same case, bolt and magazine in the AR15 platform?
the 6.5 Grendel is a well establish round with a wide variety of bullets and factory ammo
a 6.5 Grendel can be used to targets out to 1000 yrds and hunting out passed 300 yrds in just a 16" bbl
my .264 LBC will do anything I need

P1040008.JPG

so, why the 6mm ARC over the 6.5 Grendel when they use the same case, bolt and magazine in the AR15 platform?
the 6.5 Grendel is a well establish round with a wide variety of bullets and factory ammo
a 6.5 Grendel can be used to targets out to 1000 yrds and hunting out passed 300 yrds in just a 16" bbl
my .264 LBC will do anything I need

View attachment 1869987
Because doing the same thing as everyone else is boring!

While Im a Grendel fan the 6ARC is nothing to overlook. Basically a 243 in an ar15 platform. The 6ARC will enjoy the lighter bullet options at faster velocities in the AR platform due to AR magazine restricting seating depth options in either caliber. The Grendel cant go much over 100gn bullets without compromising case capacity, thus limiting its true potential with its heavier options.

Which I have, with a Howa.

However, if I ever rebarrel it, I'll chamber it in 6ARC
I should have added "in the ar15 platform",
in your Howa you should be able to seat the heavier bullets further out optimizing case volume? I dont have a Grendel bolt gun so it would be good to confirm this.

I should have added "in the ar15 platform",
in your Howa you should be able to seat the heavier bullets further out optimizing case volume? I dont have a Grendel bolt gun so it would be good to confirm this.
Should be able to. I don't reload for it yet. Probably wont with how well it shoots 120gr Hornady Black unless I decide to set it up for shooting Hammers at speed goats. I think the 6mm bullets would be better for that, but maybe not enough of a difference to make a difference.

I have my thoughts on the AR platform in these chamberings that don't align with popular opinion, so we'll just leave that at that.

I think the 6mm bullets would be better for that, but maybe not enough of a difference to make a difference.
The only difference I see between the two calibers is the 6ARC excels with the lighter faster bullets. Im uncertain about a bolt action advantage with the Grendel if the chambers are both to sammi spec but I do know the heavier bullets in the Grendel have to be seated too deep inside the case losing velocity potential. I suspect a long throated bolt gun would make the Grendel really stand out with the heavier options....
Ive heard the Hornady Black is the most accurate factory Grendel ammo, but I haven't tried it since I handload for mine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top