JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Better to build than buy--promote the spread of information and assembly skill. That way, even if they try to "ban" you can always get one part at a time in free states if needed... and there's always Eighty Percents for the ultimate flip-off.
It really is.
When you do your first build from a box of parts and it just runs, it's very rewarding.
Nothin' like your first.

:)

There are plenty of threads on building an AR here. You'll also find more youtube videos than you care to watcha and you'll soon find out who has the most informative videos. I happen to like the Brownells series for solid information without a lot of fluff.

I went with Aero Precision for my lower, upper, and free floating handguard. You can buy direct from them or shop other sites. There are some really good deals, on all brands, if you sign up on suppliers and manufacturers web sites. PSA has some killer deals off and on. Sign up for their alerts. Went with the Faxon Gunner barrel in 16", but there are many really good manufacturers out there.

You'll need a few specialty tool like roll pin punches and vice blocks. You'll find those all over the internet. I happen to have an Amazon Prime account and that ends up saving quite a bit from free shipping as well as rewards.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you're like some of us, you'll also find out why they sell "oops kits"!

I found that shopping, comparing, and actual building provided a lot of satisfaction. I don't think I would have the sense of accomplishment and pride in ownership if I had just bought off the rack.

Be an the alert for specials on mags, ammo, slings, sights, and other small items. Just remember warnings about both cheap stuff and this being as addictive as crack cocaine! :D

With one under my belt. I found that it is addictive. I've started another, though I'm waiting on funds to proceed. I started with Anderson receivers and went largely BCM for the barrel, handguard and BCG. Magpul stock. Everything worked great, but I think the end product probably ran a little north of $900. You can do well for a fair amount less. Just do your research and compare sources. YouTube has no shortage of information. A good armor's wrench, Torque wrench, a solid work station with vice and a punch set (no shortage of AR specific ones) will do you. Everything else you can make do with.

Last Edited:
A copy and paste better than I can explain. Plus ease of cleanup and corrosion resistant.

From Shooters Log
Nowadays, almost all military rifles are universally chrome-lined to protect the rifle barrel from excess erosion. AR-15 rifles are particularly prone to erosion when fired rapidly, in part due to the high velocity of the round, and in part due to the high pressures generated by the cartridge. While it's not uncommon for military rifles to experience high rates of sustained fire, it's also not difficult to fire a semiautomatic AR-15 at rates exceeding 100 RPM. Under sustained fully automatic gunfire, or rapid semiautomatic fire, an enormous amount of heat is generated. That heat is what can quickly ruin a barrel.

The leade (the unrifled portion of the barrel just forward of the chamber), as well as the first few inches of rifling, is subject to temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun and pressures exceeding 50,000 PSI. Under slow fire conditions this area is able to cool a sufficient amount in between strings of fire. Under sustained rapid fire however, there is no time for the heat to dissipate and temperatures soar into the thousands of degrees Fahrenheit. This can quickly cause damage by eating away at the rifling, "burning up the barrel" with the combination of extremely high heat and pressure. Hard chrome-lining the bore protects the leade and rifling with a thin coat of heat and pressure resistant chrome. This greatly extends barrel life in rifles that are fired for prolonged periods in full-auto or rapid fire semiautomatic modes by preventing damage to the leade and rifling.

A copy and paste better than I can explain. Plus ease of cleanup and corrosion resistant.

From Shooters Log
Nowadays, almost all military rifles are universally chrome-lined to protect the rifle barrel from excess erosion. AR-15 rifles are particularly prone to erosion when fired rapidly, in part due to the high velocity of the round, and in part due to the high pressures generated by the cartridge. While it's not uncommon for military rifles to experience high rates of sustained fire, it's also not difficult to fire a semiautomatic AR-15 at rates exceeding 100 RPM. Under sustained fully automatic gunfire, or rapid semiautomatic fire, an enormous amount of heat is generated. That heat is what can quickly ruin a barrel.

The leade (the unrifled portion of the barrel just forward of the chamber), as well as the first few inches of rifling, is subject to temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun and pressures exceeding 50,000 PSI. Under slow fire conditions this area is able to cool a sufficient amount in between strings of fire. Under sustained rapid fire however, there is no time for the heat to dissipate and temperatures soar into the thousands of degrees Fahrenheit. This can quickly cause damage by eating away at the rifling, "burning up the barrel" with the combination of extremely high heat and pressure. Hard chrome-lining the bore protects the leade and rifling with a thin coat of heat and pressure resistant chrome. This greatly extends barrel life in rifles that are fired for prolonged periods in full-auto or rapid fire semiautomatic modes by preventing damage to the leade and rifling.

Ah, chrome lined always does give everyone the feel good warm and fuzzy tingle of a reliable rifle. In all honestly, unless full auto fire or prolonged semi auto fire are in your wheelhouse, a chrome lined barrel isn't necessary. It's not a bad thing, and can last longer under harsh conditions. It can also cause accuracy issues as chrome is hard to apply perfectly even down the barrel. I know you didn't write it, but I also find it hard to believe that the first few inches of rifling are "subject to temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun". Gun powder, in a modern rifle under chamber pressure has been tested to approx. 5000F. The sun's surface is twice that. Not really important, but their statement gives a good scare tactic. :)

Ah, chrome lined always does give everyone the feel good warm and fuzzy tingle of a reliable rifle. In all honestly, unless full auto fire or prolonged semi auto fire are in your wheelhouse, a chrome lined barrel isn't necessary. It's not a bad thing, and can last longer under harsh conditions. It can also cause accuracy issues as chrome is hard to apply perfectly even down the barrel. I know you didn't write it, but I also find it hard to believe that the first few inches of rifling are "subject to temperatures hotter than the surface of the sun". Gun powder, in a modern rifle under chamber pressure has been tested to approx. 5000F. The sun's surface is twice that. Not really important, but their statement gives a good scare tactic. :)
Indeed. Friction on the lands aren't what kills a barrel first. It's throat erosion and gas port erosion. What can kill an ar15 fast, is crooked gas tube/key. As you all know the gas tube has a flange that mates inside the key for a seal. If one side wears more than another; failer at an unknown round count. Gas rings aren't the only things that can get fubard.

can-of-worms.jpg I:)

Respectfully ... another point of view based on useless experience. Buy what you want. In the long run you MAY be a more happy camper. It is what you do not know what you do not know about the ins and outs of building AR15 rifles properly.

For a home build some tools and gadgets are needed. Some of todays stuff is not needed. Some of the stuff needed you may not get. Also consider the skills and experience needed to do your own PROPERLY. This is expensive to lay on.

Right now prices are right. Lots and lots of providers of finished guns. Helpful hint. Pay more for a premium build from a major AR15 player. Pay the extra money to have your gun built correctly. Even then factory mistakes occur. Money well spent?

Respectfully again. Hundreds of AR15 builds. Put another way, if I had the need for an AR15 rifle, I would spec it out my way then have one of the leaders in precision do the actual build. Trust is important. Lots of folks today still do it correctly.
WTF are you yammering about?o_O
Building an AR is easy.
The tools are readily available.
Think Forrest Gump easy.
The part prices are way down now as many machine shops started making parts cause big names couldn't keep up a couple years back.
Go to YouTube or AR15.com for much info. AR15.com has a ton of vender clouds? to find all the parts you may want. There is much info there also.
With a little help you can put together a very high quality AR.
I should say there is quite a few on here that have put way more than my 10 builds together.
Have fun;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads