JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey, @Wombat of Doom , here's the Build Sheet for 16" M4gery I'm considering... maybe it'll give you some inspiration. Most important place to put your budget is Barrel, BCG and FCG.

This plus about $80-90 of add-on parts and a little Krylon is what I'm thinking of to build the girlfriend (well, build ME, but the one she gets to use when visiting) a "Faux Canadian C8" Starter AR.

To go a little better:

The KNS anti-walk FCG pins and Yankee Hill EZ-pull takedown pins I prefer add another $40-50 on top of this, but as a basic build I thought it might give you some ideas what can be done on tightwad budget. With good use of Daily Deals and coupon-clipping, maybe you can do even better... :) Note that neither of then include rear BUIS or optic, though.
Did you see what he said his budget was $1.000 to $1.500 come on man he could build a very nice gun with that budget and your telling about bottom end parts

Like a Badger ordnance $14.00 charging hand latch LOL just get a good ambi charging handle BCM GUN FIGHTER COMES TO MIND

Last Edited:
Did you see what he said his budget was $1.000 to $1.500 come on man he could build a very nice gun with that budget and your telling about bottom end parts
True... I was thinking that it's all in your priorities, where you economize and where you go all out. You could throw a POF "Ultimate" BCG, an AXTS Raptor, a solid FCG Upgrade AND probably a mid-to-high-end upper onto that build and STILL come in below his budget--my point was more that if you actively LOOK and subscribe to the right newsletters, you can make a grand to fifteen hundred go surprisingly far.

True... I was thinking that it's all in your priorities, where you economize and where you go all out. You could throw a POF "Ultimate" BCG, an AXTS Raptor, a solid FCG Upgrade AND probably a mid-to-high-end upper onto that build and STILL come in below his budget--my point was more that if you actively LOOK and subscribe to the right newsletters, you can make a grand to fifteen hundred go surprisingly far.
There is so much stuff out there hell if you want to go on the low end stuff with that budget he could build two guns

True... the real art is knowing where you're really getting what you're paying for, and where you're just paying for a brand name. (*cough*Colt*cough*)

There's spending a budget just because you have it like the Public Sector which is why our State and Fed Gov's are broke, and then there's using that budget as efficiently as possible to build the best rifle, or pair or rifles, you can. It might also be prudent to set some of the $1500 aside for a case or two of ammo, because no matter how good a system you build unless you're Jerry Miculek the operator is always the weakest link. :)

True... the real art is knowing where you're really getting what you're paying for, and where you're just paying for a brand name. (*cough*Colt*cough*)

There's spending a budget just because you have it like the Public Sector which is why our State and Fed Gov's are broke, and then there's using that budget as efficiently as possible to build the best rifle, or pair or rifles, you can. It might also be prudent to set some of the $1500 aside for a case or two of ammo, because no matter how good a system you build unless you're Jerry Miculek the operator is always the weakest link. :)
Good point spend a $1.000 on the gun and $500 on mags and ammo

I have a decent couple optics made by Sig. The price was right. Stag arms lefty upper is one piece I am looking at. I shoot rifles lefty. Does anyone make a quality 80% lower with lefty controls? I can deal with righty controls. I do prefer ejection on the left though.

Lower doesn't care if it's left or right, just get an ambi safety and you're good to go. Maybe throw on a Magpul BAD Lever (Primary Arms has a sale on 'em right now) or if you really wanna be extravagant drop the $85-90 on a Norgon Ambi-Catch or one of the various knockoffs.

I'm a lifelong lefty, and I find it easier to work the CH, mag catch and bolt catch with my right hand while my left remains on the grip--the only things an AR where handing really matters are the upper receiver proper, the safety and the BCG.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top