JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did, too.
Heavy for it's size. Incredibly heavy trigger. Terrible sights (if you can call a trough a sight)
But, it never failed me when I pulled the trigger. I just wanted a gun that I could play with as much as use for a belly gun. It was worthless to plink or target practice with. As a belly gun, I've often wished I had it back to try again...

Sound like at least some of them worked, then. The one my friend had must have been a lemon - the most gosh-awful piece of junk ever. We couldn't get it to cycle reliably with any ammo. He sold it back to the dealer he bought it from at considerable loss.

Regarding the dissing of reputable brands; maybe someone should start a thread titled "Good guns that just don't work." Sometimes you get a lemon. It shouldn't happen but it does, and when it does it can sour you on the brand forever.

An acquaintance once asked me to take a look at his new .22 rifle. This was many years ago and the rifle was one of the first Henry .22 lever actions. We looked it over closely, partially disassembling it. The darn thing had plastic parts and the quality of a cheap Chinese copy of a Red Ryder BB gun!

I know a lot of people love them and they generally get good reviews, but I've never had any interest in owning one.

The darn thing had plastic parts and the quality of a cheap Chinese copy of a Red Ryder BB gun!
A friend of mine has an early one also and I was looking inside through the action and while only a quick look the frame appeared to be made out of a rough alloy - almost looked like pot metal. I hope I was mistaken.

Back in '97 when I first got my CHL, the first gun I bought for carry was a S&W Sigma. It was the funky SW9M version that had a blowback action like its little .380 brother, with a 7 round magazine that had release buttons on either side. I was young and dumb and I thought the gun looked cool. It was a piece of junk with constant FTF and light primer strikes. After its 2nd trip back for repairs I got rid of it.

AMT Hardballer. My first and almost last 1911. Failed every 2nd or 3rd shot. Tool marks galore. Yet for its time quite expensive. I kept sending it back and they kept telling me it was my (their ) mags. Wouldnt even shoot hardball reliably. Traded it for a Taurus PT92. Im no Taurus lover but that particular model was/is a classic.

^^^^I had the oposite experience with my Hardballer. I'm sure that if you polished out the machine and casting marks the whole pistol would have disintegrated into dust! It was, however, a perfectly reliable pistol. My AMT .380 is also an excellent performer. Had an AMT Goverment model that was awful but after I got a set of Wilson mags it was smooth sailing.

I have a top of the model line (bull barrel/laminate thumb hole stock/free float/etc) Savage 93r17 I bought brand new thinking it'd be a nice .17hmr. Currently at the factory for it's second warranty repair. Misfires 2-4 rounds per 5 round magazine. It's a one whole gun but it's also a giant PITA.

Their customer service blows to tho, this has been a 2 year process.

Great thread. I vote for the Franchi SPAS 12. Italian shotgun popular in 80's action movies, but a POS in real life.

FranchiSPAS12.jpg

I would say Glock - Yes that many people can indeed be wrong. Alright, surely not the worst, but I really don't like them. The grip angle of the 1911 is just better. ;)

In all seriousness though not sure if it has been added yet but I will say anything Jimenez Arms/Bryco. you'd be better off picking up a rock and throwing it.

The majority of the firearms that customers wanted help troubleshooting were either home assembled or originating from Century Arms International. (10 years have passed) I have never ordered, purchased or owned a CAI firearm.

I bought a NIB CAI WASR10 a few years back, and it is one of the most amazingly accurate/dependable rifles I've had the pleasure of owning.

Buy hey, I've heard plenty of CAI stories about plenty of makes and models being wonky.

I sold my beretta to get a sig 229 and was so excited to get it, but it shot about 6" low every time. I was so disappointed.
Bought a glock and been very pleased. May be plastic but it shoots every time and is accruate.
I have a G26, 17, and 34 and all use the same mags. Can't go wrong.

Sig sights are designed to cover the target and that's why you shot low.

Nobody mentioned the Jennings .22. I agree, it is too embarrassing to speak of..

I nominate the Tec-22 Scorpion, the sci-fi looking pistol designed to use Ruger-style banana clips. Never two shots in a row! Period. I fussed and fiddled and radically enlarged the ejection port, and studied the diagrams. Finally realized that it was designed WITHOUT an ejector. And no place to put one. Sheesh!

I have a top of the model line (bull barrel/laminate thumb hole stock/free float/etc) Savage 93r17 I bought brand new thinking it'd be a nice .17hmr. Currently at the factory for it's second warranty repair. Misfires 2-4 rounds per 5 round magazine. It's a one whole gun but it's also a giant PITA.

Their customer service blows to tho, this has been a 2 year process.

Or, it might have been that you were using Winchester Supreme .17 HMR ammo. Which has to be the world's worst named ammunition! (Anything but supreme!) My Savage 93R 17TR is pretty reliable with anything but Winchester ammo. Hornady, Federal and CCI have worked fine, but Winchester :mad:. Just don't ask me how much I have, I bought it on sale not knowing any better.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there are far worse guns for many reasons, but my own worst disappointment was a stainless ODI Viking 1911 with Seecamp double-action conversion.

I had forgotten about those. When I looked them up to refresh my memory I read that they had a DA trigger pull of 19# and a SA pull of 12#! Wow!!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews