JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In recent Top Gear (UK version) episode Jeremy Clarkson and James May went on a quest to find the worst car in the history of the world. I thought this line of thinking would be a interesting for NWFA.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the cheapest (and probably most poorly made) either. After all what do you expect in a cheap gun? Usually you get what you pay for. However, I can think of a few "high end" guns that might qualify. I'm throwing it out there for conversation to find out which gun(s) did not live up to expectations. You know, like the total fox you finally scored a date with, blew $150.00 on dinner, expecting you'd also be having her (or him whichever you prefer) for breakfast, but you didn't even get to first base. Or the car you've always wanted, drooled over, and finally shelled out your hard earned money only to learn it sucks. Total disappointment.

So, share your opinion. What is the worst gun in the history of the world? And why?

I'll start it off. For me it is Kimber. I bought a Super Carry Custom. Damn, it looked good in the display case at the gun store and felt even better in my hand. However, because I spent well north of a grand I had high expectations. I do not think these high expectations were not unreasonable either. But when the wife and I took it out on its maiden voyage we had nothing but FTF issues. And this was with ball ammo. I never did try any high dollar defense ammo as I felt it would just be a waste. If it couldn't run with ball ammo what is the point of trying the more expensive rounds?

I got it fixed and it shot with no further issues. But the confidence was lost. I sold it for a helluva loss. The buyer got a really good deal. But it still left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not going to give Kimber a chance to burn me again.

Others come to mind too. Taurus, Jennings and Hi Point. Again, you get what you pay for.

My pick for the #1 slot would be the Chauchat LMG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat#Battlefield_performance.Chauchat_Mle_1915._8mm_Lebel

Chauchat in American service
After the United States had entered World War I in April 1917, the American Expeditionary Force (A.E.F.) arrived in France without automatic weapons or field artillery. Consequently it turned to the French ally to purchase ordnance. General Pershing chose the Hotchkiss M1914 machine gun and the Chauchat machine rifle (designated as " Automatic Rifle, Model 1915 (Chauchat) " by the A.E.F. and nicknamed the "Sho-Sho" by the troops) to equip U.S. infantry. Between August 1917 and the November 11, 1918 Armistice with Germany, the Gladiator factory delivered to the A.E.F. 16,000 Chauchats in 8 mm Lebel and, late in 1918, 19,000 Chauchats in .30-06.[6]

While the performance of the M1915 Chauchat in 8 mm Lebel was combat effective, judging by the numbers of decorated U.S. Chauchat gunners found in the U.S. Divisional Histories, the performance of the M1918 Chauchat in .30-06 was soon recognized as abysmal (and in large part the reason for the gun's bad reputation). The most common problem was a failure to extract after the gun had fired only a few rounds and became slightly hot. A modern-day firing test of the M1918 30-06 Chauchat was performed at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in July 1973 but no particular problem was described in the official report which is accessible on open file. Conversely, an exhaustive firing test of the M1918 Chauchat in .30-06 was also carried out in 1994 near Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, by R. Keller and W. Garofalo. Their testing, which is reported in "The Chauchat Machine Rifle" volume, did expose severe extraction problems caused by incorrect chamber measurements and other sub-standard manufacturing. During World War I, in 1918, the preserved U.S. archival record also documents that American inspectors at the Gladiator factory had rejected about 40% of the .30-06 Chauchat production[6] while the remaining 60% proved problematic whenever they reached the front lines. Supplies of the newly manufactured and superior M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) were allocated sparingly and only very late, during the Meuse-Argonne offensive which begun in late September 1918. Therefore about 75% of the U.S. Divisions were still equipped with the Chauchat - in its original French M1915 version in 8 mm Lebel- at the time of the Armistice of November 11, 1918. It is also well documented that General Pershing had been holding back on the BAR until victory was certain, for fear it would be copied by Germany.[8] However, it is also known that the very first BARs delivered had improperly tempered recoil springs and had these guns been prematurely introduced during the summer of 1918, their employment may also have been problematic. One of the most significant accounts of the Chauchat's poor performance was from then-lieutenant Lemuel Shepherd who was quoted saying:

I spent the last few weeks [of World War I] back in the hospital, but I'll tell you one thing the boys later told me: The day after the Armistice they got the word to turn in their Chauchats and draw Browning Automatic Rifles. That BAR was so much better than that damned Chauchat. If we'd only had the BAR six months before, it would have saved so many lives.
FM%20CSRG%2015%20Chauchat-VD-WEB2.JPG

In my experiences,
Taurus and hipoint actually always ran true. No issues what so ever.

Ive never had a true didnt function at all lemon.

Ive had overly finicky firearms.
Kimber comes to mind..

But my PT1911's have never failed.. And Id rip on a taurus if it would have failed on me.
Another finicky one, Bersa .380s
(and most of the older compact .380s) ive played with were horrible.

The most worthless POS I have ever owned was an original style TECH-9 which I got in some kind of trade where I knew if I didn't like it I would come out on top money wise.

Wife took one look at it and said what are you doing with that POS.

I took it out to my dads where I could fire it loaded a 30 rd mag and proceeded to miss everything I pointed it at.

Went to a gun show the next weekend and traded it off for a little Llama .380 (miniature 1911) and all was well.

The worst gun I remember wasn't mine, but belonged to a friend of mine. Calico 22. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. He loved it, but spent more time messing with it than shooting it.
I, too, have a Kimber story. It was a Montana that would not feed reliably, even after going back to them with detailed pics and letter. If that thing would have been as reliable as my Ruger I probably would have kept and carried it forever. Now that role is filled with a Ruger 77 MKII.

The worst gun I remember wasn't mine, but belonged to a friend of mine. Calico 22. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. He loved it, but spent more time messing with it than shooting it.
I, too, have a Kimber story. It was a Montana that would not feed reliably, even after going back to them with detailed pics and letter. If that thing would have been as reliable as my Ruger I probably would have kept and carried it forever. Now that role is filled with a Ruger 77 MKII.
Ive always wanted to play with one of those calico pistols

Owned a dozen Taurii and never had a lemon that I can recall. A bad magazine but not a bad gun.

My greatest disappointment came from a high-end Kimber. Jam-o-matic, magazine sensitive,ammo sensitive, temperature sensitive, burred up, emotional, GAAAHHHH!!! Never found a ammo/magazine/lube combo that would function for 50 rounds without some failure even after hours of deburring/polishing. It got better but never attained an acceptable level, that and I could never bring myself to trust it.
Personal worst pistol VALUE I ever experienced.

Kimber was the worst high dollar purchase of mine.

For me it was a Cobray M11 9mm I picked up for next to nothing on a lark.

The danged thing never properly cycled a single round. Every shot was followed by either a FTF or FTE, usually in the form of a stovepipe or failure to strip the next round from the mag.

Completely useless POS, but dang it looked cool. Lol

:edited for typos-stupid touchscreens:

Last Edited:
I've had a few firearms that were disappointing and it often had nothing in relation to price. I've had a couple Kimbers and they were ok but overpriced in my opinion. I never look at them anymore.
I have several Berettas in different calibers and models but my love for the Beretta name went south when I acquired a model 21 in 22lr. What a poc and I can't believe Beretta puts their name on it. I've seen two others besides mine and one was a little better but at best just a range toy. Start out squeaky clean and download to 7 rounds, not 7+1 and might go 4 or 5 mags with good ammo and good vibes that session. Very disappointing.

I had an EAA Witness in 45 ACP. While it was fairly cheap and felt great in the hand, it was very unreliable and mangled brass frequently on the ocassions where it did feed and fire. I really wanted to be able to love it, but it wasn't meant to be. Still tempted to get some kind of CZ-75 inspired pistol as I love how they fit my hand.

Kel-tec P-11. Don't ever make your (Wifey's) first gun a small, inexpensive gun. The damned thing shot 4'-6' low at 30', that's FEET low! Being naive/new to the scene we paid the $70.00 to ship it back to Kel-tec,. They fixed it, but same as others have said, sold it at quite a loss to us and can't bring myself to see Kel-tec as a purchase anytime in the future.

Mike

Kel-tec P-11. Don't ever make your (Wifey's) first gun a small, inexpensive gun. The damned thing shot 4'-6' low at 30', that's FEET low! Being naive/new to the scene we paid the $70.00 to ship it back to Kel-tec,. They fixed it, but same as others have said, sold it at quite a loss to us and can't bring myself to see Kel-tec as a purchase anytime in the future.

Mike
I bought my wife a Ruger .380 LCP and while its a well built gun she hates it. Long trigger pull and kicks really hard for a small round.

Glock 20

Totally reliable. Good horsepower. Utterly uncomfortable "to drive," with poorly thought out choices in ergonomics, oh, and overhyped too.

You're expecting an Audi at VW prices, but you in fact get a VW, and a very unexciting one at that.

Type 94 Nambu would be my pick for worst gun in the history of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_94_Nambu_pistol

For modern junkers Mossberg 715T is fugly as sin and I have yet to see one work well. The 'plinkster' isn't much better.

I guess I got lucky with my Kimber. It runs great but mine is 15+ yo. It's stamped New York but I think it was right after they moved.

For disappointing/over-hyped I have yet to find a Sig that lived up to it's price tag. I guess I'd rather have a Glock and ammo than a Sig or an Hk.

For disappointing/over-hyped I have yet to find a Sig that lived up to it's price tag. I guess I'd rather have a Glock and ammo than a Sig or an Hk.

Sigs don't impress me either.
For the price of an HK or sig, it should feel and function like no other.. However other than looks and the fancy brand name.. They've always been unimpressive to me.

For me it was the Uc-9 From Century.

Damn that thing looked sweet and i had always wanted an UZI.... part of me just wanted to be able to say DA UZI 9mm.

I saved up and bought one it was an awesome toy and everyone i showed it to was like damn hes got an uzi! heh not knowing it was a clone.

Anyhow I took it to the range and it wouldn't fire worth a crap even with use of different mags and ammo, and even with high powdered loads that they were supposed to like.
I eventually ended up trading it but have been looking for another one since but have only heard bad things about the uzi clones. Seems to me like they are hit and miss, and not just with Century but with vector and some of the other clone makers.

I almost bought a kimber for that same reason but eventually shyed away due to the price. Sorry to hear that you got burned. Was it defective did you try contacting them?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR