1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

The worst gun in the history of the world?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BAMCIS, Apr 27, 2014.

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

In recent Top Gear (UK version) episode Jeremy Clarkson and James May went on a quest to find the worst car in the history of the world. I thought this line of thinking would be a interesting for NWFA.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the cheapest (and probably most poorly made) either. After all what do you expect in a cheap gun? Usually you get what you pay for. However, I can think of a few “high end” guns that might qualify. I'm throwing it out there for conversation to find out which gun(s) did not live up to expectations. You know, like the total fox you finally scored a date with, blew $150.00 on dinner, expecting you'd also be having her (or him whichever you prefer) for breakfast, but you didn't even get to first base. Or the car you've always wanted, drooled over, and finally shelled out your hard earned money only to learn it sucks. Total disappointment.

So, share your opinion. What is the worst gun in the history of the world? And why?

I'll start it off. For me it is Kimber. I bought a Super Carry Custom. Damn, it looked good in the display case at the gun store and felt even better in my hand. However, because I spent well north of a grand I had high expectations. I do not think these high expectations were not unreasonable either. But when the wife and I took it out on its maiden voyage we had nothing but FTF issues. And this was with ball ammo. I never did try any high dollar defense ammo as I felt it would just be a waste. If it couldn't run with ball ammo what is the point of trying the more expensive rounds?

I got it fixed and it shot with no further issues. But the confidence was lost. I sold it for a helluva loss. The buyer got a really good deal. But it still left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm not going to give Kimber a chance to burn me again.

Others come to mind too. Taurus, Jennings and Hi Point. Again, you get what you pay for.
    51.50 and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  2. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

My pick for the #1 slot would be the Chauchat LMG. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat#Battlefield_performance.Chauchat_Mle_1915._8mm_Lebel

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Taurus and hipoint actually always ran true. No issues what so ever.

Ive never had a true didnt function at all lemon.

Ive had overly finicky firearms.
    Kimber comes to mind..

But my PT1911's have never failed.. And Id rip on a taurus if it would have failed on me.
    Another finicky one, Bersa .380s
    (and most of the older compact .380s) ive played with were horrible.
    GrpCapMandrake, Nwcid and d2the3 like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The most worthless POS I have ever owned was an original style TECH-9 which I got in some kind of trade where I knew if I didn't like it I would come out on top money wise.

Wife took one look at it and said what are you doing with that POS.

I took it out to my dads where I could fire it loaded a 30 rd mag and proceeded to miss everything I pointed it at.

Went to a gun show the next weekend and traded it off for a little Llama .380 (miniature 1911) and all was well.
  5. Lars

Lars Clackamas Active Member

Kimber was the worst high dollar purchase of mine.
    RangerEric and BAMCIS like this.
  6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The worst gun I remember wasn't mine, but belonged to a friend of mine. Calico 22. Wouldn't feed worth a darn. He loved it, but spent more time messing with it than shooting it.
    I, too, have a Kimber story. It was a Montana that would not feed reliably, even after going back to them with detailed pics and letter. If that thing would have been as reliable as my Ruger I probably would have kept and carried it forever. Now that role is filled with a Ruger 77 MKII.
  7. ZA_Survivalist

Ive always wanted to play with one of those calico pistols
  8. CJ1089

CJ1089 Aloha, Oregon Marveling at the world.

Owned a dozen Taurii and never had a lemon that I can recall. A bad magazine but not a bad gun.

My greatest disappointment came from a high-end Kimber. Jam-o-matic, magazine sensitive,ammo sensitive, temperature sensitive, burred up, emotional, GAAAHHHH!!! Never found a ammo/magazine/lube combo that would function for 50 rounds without some failure even after hours of deburring/polishing. It got better but never attained an acceptable level, that and I could never bring myself to trust it.
    Personal worst pistol VALUE I ever experienced.

Nwcid and Lars like this.
  9. Xader

Xader Columbia Gorge, Oregon Member

For me it was a Cobray M11 9mm I picked up for next to nothing on a lark.

The danged thing never properly cycled a single round. Every shot was followed by either a FTF or FTE, usually in the form of a stovepipe or failure to strip the next round from the mag.

Completely useless POS, but dang it looked cool. Lol

:edited for typos-stupid touchscreens:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  10. TCOV

I've had a few firearms that were disappointing and it often had nothing in relation to price. I've had a couple Kimbers and they were ok but overpriced in my opinion. I never look at them anymore.
    I have several Berettas in different calibers and models but my love for the Beretta name went south when I acquired a model 21 in 22lr. What a poc and I can't believe Beretta puts their name on it. I've seen two others besides mine and one was a little better but at best just a range toy. Start out squeaky clean and download to 7 rounds, not 7+1 and might go 4 or 5 mags with good ammo and good vibes that session. Very disappointing.
    joken likes this.
  11. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Silver Supporter

I have a Taurus PT-99 and it runs very well.
  12. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

I had an EAA Witness in 45 ACP. While it was fairly cheap and felt great in the hand, it was very unreliable and mangled brass frequently on the ocassions where it did feed and fire. I really wanted to be able to love it, but it wasn't meant to be. Still tempted to get some kind of CZ-75 inspired pistol as I love how they fit my hand.
  13. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Kel-tec P-11. Don't ever make your (Wifey's) first gun a small, inexpensive gun. The damned thing shot 4'-6' low at 30', that's FEET low! Being naive/new to the scene we paid the $70.00 to ship it back to Kel-tec,. They fixed it, but same as others have said, sold it at quite a loss to us and can't bring myself to see Kel-tec as a purchase anytime in the future.

14. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

I bought my wife a Ruger .380 LCP and while its a well built gun she hates it. Long trigger pull and kicks really hard for a small round.
  15. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

Totally reliable. Good horsepower. Utterly uncomfortable "to drive," with poorly thought out choices in ergonomics, oh, and overhyped too.

You're expecting an Audi at VW prices, but you in fact get a VW, and a very unexciting one at that.
  16. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Type 94 Nambu would be my pick for worst gun in the history of the world: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_94_Nambu_pistol

For modern junkers Mossberg 715T is fugly as sin and I have yet to see one work well. The 'plinkster' isn't much better.

I guess I got lucky with my Kimber. It runs great but mine is 15+ yo. It's stamped New York but I think it was right after they moved.

For disappointing/over-hyped I have yet to find a Sig that lived up to it's price tag. I guess I'd rather have a Glock and ammo than a Sig or an Hk.
  17. ZA_Survivalist

For the price of an HK or sig, it should feel and function like no other.. However other than looks and the fancy brand name.. They've always been unimpressive to me.
    Kimber Custom likes this.
  18. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

Damn that thing looked sweet and i had always wanted an UZI.... part of me just wanted to be able to say DA UZI 9mm.

I saved up and bought one it was an awesome toy and everyone i showed it to was like damn hes got an uzi! heh not knowing it was a clone.

Anyhow I took it to the range and it wouldn't fire worth a crap even with use of different mags and ammo, and even with high powdered loads that they were supposed to like.
    I eventually ended up trading it but have been looking for another one since but have only heard bad things about the uzi clones. Seems to me like they are hit and miss, and not just with Century but with vector and some of the other clone makers.

I almost bought a kimber for that same reason but eventually shyed away due to the price. Sorry to hear that you got burned. Was it defective did you try contacting them?
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  19. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

joken, Barachiah and Sgt Nambu like this.
  20. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

I had a 3" 1911 in .45 that was horrid. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Recoil springs were good for 500 rounds which is a range session for me.