JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Funny - Senator Darlene Fairley never called me back to discuss the issue. I wonder why...

Anyway, this bill didn't make it out of committee by cutoff, so it's most likely dead (for now).

Kudos to all of the people who contacted their legislators about this. Double kudos to the folks who went down to the hearing.

I just bought an Olympic Arms AR-15 not even a month ago at a WAC show.

I called my people just now and let them know to oppose this bill.
* Senator Rodney Tom
* Rep Ross Hunter
* Rep Deb Eddy

I didn't read through all the 26 pages of this thread, so sorry if this was already mentioned, but you can also call 800-562-6000 directly and just tell them some basic info (like your address, the bill, etc.) and they'll do all the work to notify your senator and representatives. Just to be sure I went http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx and contacted them as well. The web page is nice because it has a checkbox to let you blast them all at the same time rather than individually.

updated 2010-02-18. Here is the email reply I got back:

-----Original Message-----
From: Cooper, Suzette [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tom, Sen. Rodney
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:56 AM

Daevid,

Thank you so much for writing in regard to Senate Bill 6396, which deals with a ban on assault weapons. Any time we're dealing with gun issues and Second Amendment rights, there tends to be a lot of confusion about what a bill does or does not do.

This legislation isn't going anywhere this session. You should know that it appears as though there is very little momentum for this bill, as reported in the Seattle Times.

The intent of this legislation is to mirror the old federal legislation that has lapsed regarding an assault weapons ban. I firmly believe that there is a happy medium that allows us to keep guns that can rapidly fire away from dangerous criminals or those suffering from mental illness while at the same time preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and/or have guns for hunting purposes.

My father has been an NRA member for more than 40 years, so we often have this debate within our family as to what is a reasonable restriction on gun ownership. I think we can all agree that there are certain weapons, such as a bazooka, that have no place in the public forum. So to say that there should be no gun restrictions is a fallacy that is not supported by the current interpretation of law. On the other hand we do need to recognize our forefathers' decision to guarantee our right to bear arms and the reasoning behind it. If the bill advances through the two houses of the Legislature, we will have many opportunities to amend its language and pursue a reasonable and balanced final product.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I look forward to our continued dialogue on this issue.

think Peace!

Rodney Tom
State Senator
p 360.786.7694
o 800.562.6000 hotline
e [email protected]
w <broken link removed>

Update again as Ross wrote me back:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:42 PM

Thanks for writing regarding Senate Bill 6396, which would restrict the sales of military-style assault weapons. It didn't pass out of the Senate committee to which it was referred so it is dead for the session. There was no House bill introduced.

I believe there should be an opportunity to discuss this issue - where the line is between military and civilian weapons. We might have used this bill as an opportunity to do so, but because the people on both sides of the issue have such entrenched positions it's painful to do so.

The difficulty in an assault weapon ban is that it is difficult to determine a definition of assault weapons that clearly delineates the differences. The NRA position is that ANY ban would necessarily ban all semi-automatic weapons, which would be ridiculous. The Ceasefire position is that it's easy to write the definition. Neither position is completely true.

I do not have extreme views on either end of this discussion. I am willing to see if we can work out a definition that would work, but I'm not interested in grandstanding the issue if we cannot. Last year I was able to work out a deal with the NRA and Ceasefire that brought WA state law into compliance with federal law regarding removal of the ability to possess firearms for people who are involuntarily committed to mental institutions because they were judged to be a danger to themselves or others. The NRA quite reasonably agreed with the proposal and we worked out the details. We believe this will eliminate many suicides every year.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office if you have additional questions or concerns. You can also contact me via my website and get regular updates on my activities in the Legislature at: www.housedemocrats.wa.gov/members/hunter.

Sincerely,

Rep. Ross Hunter
Finance Committee Chairman

Thankfully this thing was once again DOA

I was an activist in Commiefornia when the ban passed there. The terror and intimidation felt by gunners was palpable. 90% of us refused to comply, me being one. I realized the State was doomed and my wife and I split for the PNW. Hopefully if the scum in Olympia ever pass such an abomination, compliance will be even less. This is for all the marbles folks, these statists are slowly disarming us with deliberate, evil intent. Study the Red Revolution in Russia to see what's in store if they are able to disarm us.. nothing less than genocide is their end game..

There is nothing in Cali that we should be emulating.. nothing !!

My father has been an NRA member for more than 40 years, so we often have this debate within our family as to what is a reasonable restriction on gun ownership. I think we can all agree that there are certain weapons, such as a bazooka, that have no place in the public forum.

What part of "shall not be infringed" and "Right to keep and bear arms" is so difficult for these clowns to wrap their remaining brain cells around?

There are no reasonable restrictions for peaceable, sane citizens!!

FYI Sen. Pam Roach (gun owners only friend during the hearing) been banned from the Senate Republican Caucus by Senate Minority Leader Mike Hewitt, R-Walla Walla and Sen. Linda Evans Parlette, R-Wenatchee, who chairs the Senate Republican Caucus.

Which only makes me like her more

I know Pam personally. She really is a wonderful lady. She is a very wise politician. She has been around and play the game in Olympia for a long time. I have shot next to Pam at the range several times. She has even won trophies for handgun competition. She is the single strongest progun politician we have. To ban her from a hearing on a gun ban while the pro ban people are present is dirty politics.

Everyone be aware that the AWB SB 6396 was reintroduced. Another round of calls and emails is needed!! Tell them to fix the budget and stop being sneaky and taking away the rights of the people!

Attention SB 6396 Reintroduced in the Special Session

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone be aware that the AWB SB 6396 was reintroduced. Another round of calls and emails is needed!! Tell them to fix the budget and stop being sneaky and taking away the rights of the people!

True this and all other bills that died in this year's general session were re-introduced. This however is not sneaky or behind the back, it is simply how our legislative body works. Below is a note from Joe Waldren on the subject.

At the end of every legislative session, bills that did not pass are retained in their status at the end of the session. When a special session is called, bills are technically reintroduced, in their last status. A rumor has started that the proposed "assault weapon" bill, SB 6396, was reintroduced and is running for the special session. Not true. ALL bills that died at the end of the regular session were technically "reintroduced," but no action is anticipated on any gun bill, good or bad.

So there might be a change of this bill being visited, but in my opinion a SLIM one.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews