JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
We're digressing badly off topic, but I work for an Israeli corporation and have mixed feelings about my new management. Very nationalistic, and most are retired IDF officers who think barking at employees will lead to productive results. To be fair, it has little to do with their ethnicity, and much more to do with their politics and world view.

Besides, I'm told in Israel there's a max 1 firearm per person (or maybe even household?).

I didn't want to get off topic and didn't mention anything about Israel. I was voicing my opposition against the support of the Jewish Federation of Seattle for this weapon ban, which is an insult to the Jewish people and my dead ancestors. This very same ban was imposed by nazi Germany and its horrible for me to think that naive members of my ethnic group are going to support the same measures that resulted in our suffering throughout history.

As far as working for Israeli corp, sorry to hear your bad luck. Is being nationalistic bad? I think the lack of nationalism in USA is one reason we are struggling as we are with these Anti-Constitutional measures, such as a weapons ban.

Yes, Israel does have gun control which is bad for citizens, although since almost every man is a member of the military and is required to keep a fully automatic rifle at home, it is not as much of an issue.

Perhaps there is American corporations that also have ex-military bossy employers too? When you work for a company in a country where everyone must join the military for many years to stay alive, you will be bound to meet a lot of military people. Also, the older generation of Israelis have seen a lot more combat and have a different mindset.

Here's a response from my senator who will not get my vote come next election.

Thank you so much for writing in regard to Senate Bill 6396, which deals with a ban on assault weapons. Any time we're dealing with gun issues and Second Amendment rights, there tends to be a lot of confusion about what a bill does or does not do.

This legislation isn't going anywhere this session. You should know that it appears as though there is very little momentum for this bill, as reported in the Seattle Times.

The intent of this legislation is to mirror the old federal legislation that has lapsed regarding an assault weapons ban. I firmly believe that there is a happy medium that allows us to keep guns that can rapidly fire away from dangerous criminals or those suffering from mental illness while at the same time preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and/or have guns for hunting purposes.

My father has been an NRA member for more than 40 years, so we often have this debate within our family as to what is a reasonable restriction on gun ownership. I think we can all agree that there are certain weapons, such as a bazooka, that have no place in the public forum. So to say that there should be no gun restrictions is a fallacy that is not supported by the current interpretation of law. On the other hand we do need to recognize our forefathers' decision to guarantee our right to bear arms and the reasoning behind it. If the bill advances through the two houses of the Legislature, we will have many opportunities to amend its language and pursue a reasonable and balanced final product.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I look forward to our continued dialogue on this issue.

think Peace!

Rodney Tom
State Senator

I found the analogies the "for" witnesses used to be lacking. There are already laws that are supposed to prevent youths from purchasing guns.

Precisely! They tried to make it sound like any child can buy a machine gun at the corner market.

As always, it appears those in favor of American Freedom are limited to using facts while those who would steal our freedoms have no limits on the untruths they can use.

Here's a response from my senator who will not get my vote come next election.
Thank you so much for writing in regard to Senate Bill 6396, which deals with a ban on assault weapons. Any time we're dealing with gun issues and Second Amendment rights, there tends to be a lot of confusion about what a bill does or does not do.

This legislation isn't going anywhere this session. You should know that it appears as though there is very little momentum for this bill, as reported in the Seattle Times.

The intent of this legislation is to mirror the old federal legislation that has lapsed regarding an assault weapons ban.
It is not mirroring the lapsed assault weapons ban. It is a gross ignorance of current laws and violations of current Constitutional Amendments.

I firmly believe that there is a happy medium that allows us to keep guns that can rapidly fire away from dangerous criminals or those suffering from mental illness while at the same time preserving the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and/or have guns for hunting purposes.
My gun fires as fast as my trigger finger allows, just like every semiautomatic rifle, shotgun or handgun. Rapid fire is a phrase to insinuate "machine gun" as a scare tactic. If you want a law to keep guns away from people with mental illness, then make such a bill that addresses that person, not the tool.

My father has been an NRA member for more than 40 years, so we often have this debate within our family as to what is a reasonable restriction on gun ownership.
Thanksgiving at your house must SUCK! Did you bring tofu-turkey instead of shooting a bird?

I think we can all agree that there are certain weapons, such as a bazooka, that have no place in the public forum. So to say that there should be no gun restrictions is a fallacy that is not supported by the current interpretation of law.
A bazooka is already illegal you idiot. If you're going to reach so high, why don't you just say, 'we can all agree that there are certain weapons, such as a nuclear warhead, that have no place in the public forum.' That sounds just as scary.

On the other hand we do need to recognize our forefathers' decision to guarantee our right to bear arms and the reasoning behind it. If the bill advances through the two houses of the Legislature, we will have many opportunities to amend its language and pursue a reasonable and balanced final product.
So you need to go so far LEFT in your proposed bill to include annual search by law enforcement of said 10+ capacity banned weapons?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. I look forward to our continued dialogue on this issue.

think hope for Peace!

Rodney Tom
Former State Senator

I've entered my own thoughts into this response letter.

I decided to try and stir up a little trouble for Bellevue Police Chief Pillo since she decided to use her uniform to speak out against my Rights today. Hopefully this will be some support for Alan Gottlieb's request for Chief Pillo to face "the same disciplinary procedures as any of her officers who pulled this kind of political stunt."

To the Mayor of Bellevue:

Mayor Davidson,

I'm confused over the appearance of your uniformed Police Chief in front of a Senate Judiciary Committee today. Did you send her there to speak out against my Constitutional Rights? If so, you should know that she did a good job of embarrassing you. Chief Pillo made some ridiculously inaccurate statements on both crime statistics and gunsmithing.

For anyone who hasn't watched the meeting or read about it, Chief Pillo testified: borrowing her quotes from Dave Workman here
1) "Since 1990, more American lives have been lost through gun violence than in all the combats fought during the 20th Century."
2) "Assault weapons can also be easily converted to fully automatic machine guns."
3) And she said Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton "shot to death and officer Britt Sweeney was injured by a killer using an assault weapon."

anyone got links to the content of the discussion? Couldn't make the hearing today.

This Bellevue cop sounds like a real winner..... she lies, into the bargain.
What does it take for her to be censured, disciplined, removed?

To give klien his due, if I were up there hosting debate on a bill that I had written and believed strongly in I would not have kept as much of my cool as he had. Sure he threw a few dirty looks at a few people and Senator Roach gave him some well deserved grief but over all he did very well for a guy presenting a bill that looks like a 10 year old wrote it.

Here is a copy of the E-mail I sent Senator Roach ten mins after the debate...

I watched the debate today via the web. Wonderful. I felt like I was there with 98% representation. I'd not like to have you on the other side. Your a pleasant, polite fireball. Wow! I would be interested in knowing if today's web viewing was at an all time high today at 10:00am. If you ever come to Oregon you've got my vote. If you get a chance Thank Bill Pierce and Merton Cooper for me too.

Signed,

If you ever need to borrow an assault rifle I've got a few you can choose from.

... he did very well for a guy presenting a bill that looks like a 10 year old wrote it.

I liked the part where Kline said the language about the sheriff inspecting firearms in people's home was put in by mistake and will be "out of there". Shows how much care and thought was put into crafting this bill. :s0112:

I made the trip down there, It was my first time and I must say it was a good learning experience, best to show up early, real early in order to find parking and get a spot inside. I was too late and had to watch it on TV. It was exciting seeing so many people there in opposition to the bill, every sign in sheet I saw everybody was against it! Good job to everyone who made it, I even saw some guys sign in from Spokane in front of me, now that's a heck of a commitment!

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=276365

Updated 1 hour, 56 minutes ago.
Olympia won't take on assault weapons ban
By CHRIS SULLIVAN
KIRO Radio

Despite pleas to ban assault rifles, Washington lawmakers don't appear ready to tackle the issue this session.

The legislation focuses on "military-style" assault weapons, which can fire rapidly and carry large magazines of ammunition.

After nearly an hour of passionate debate Tuesday, there weren't enough votes to get this latest attempt out of committee.

Ralph Fascitelli, board chairman for Washington Ceasefire, supports the ban of semi-automatic pistons, pump-action rifles, and shotguns. "If it holds more than 10 bullets, it my mind, it is. If it automatically loads and discharges bullets, it is. If it's original design and intent was to kill humans, it is," said Fascitelli.

He said it's important to make sure the wrong people don't have the opportunity to use assault weapons. "Many crimes are committed by angry, disturbed individuals without a criminal record who turn deadly in a moment of rage when they have access to weapons of war, such as these assault weapons," said Fascitelli.

But gun supporters, like Brian Judy of the National Rifle Association, says this ban wouldn't have kept the assault rifle out of the hands of Christopher Monfort, the man charged with killing Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton.

"I want to give you a bit of breaking news you probably won't hear in the Washington media. That is that 70 million gun owners didn't break the law today. Millions didn't break the law with firearms that are classified as assault weapons under this bill," said Judy.

He added that trying to define assault weapons won't work.

"You can ban all semi-automatic firearms or you can ban none of them, but if you try to carve out some arbitrary sub-set, what you're going to end up with is a confusing and utterly ineffective nightmare of law and regulation," said Judy.

Sponsors said the bill is similar to the federal assault weapons ban that expired in 2004. It would cover an array of different pistols, shotguns and rifles, including semiautomatic rifles with large ammunition magazines and pistol-grip stocks.

The Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill is Senate Bill 6396. The bill was named in honor of 18-year-old Aaron Sullivan, who was shot and killed by a SKS 7.62-caliber rifle in Seattle in July.

"Many crimes are committed by angry, disturbed individuals without a criminal record who turn deadly in a moment of rage when they have access to weapons of war, such as these assault weapons," said Fascitelli.

It's true! I was standing in front of my safe last night looking at my AR's and had an almost uncontrollable urge to murder my Dachshund! :gun11:

http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=276365

Updated 1 hour, 56 minutes ago.
Olympia won't take on assault weapons ban
By CHRIS SULLIVAN
KIRO Radio

Despite pleas to ban assault rifles, Washington lawmakers don't appear ready to tackle the issue this session.

The legislation focuses on "military-style" assault weapons, which can fire rapidly and carry large magazines of ammunition.

After nearly an hour of passionate debate Tuesday, there weren't enough votes to get this latest attempt out of committee.

Ralph Fascitelli, board chairman for Washington Ceasefire, supports the ban of semi-automatic pistons, pump-action rifles, and shotguns. "If it holds more than 10 bullets, it my mind, it is. If it automatically loads and discharges bullets, it is. If it's original design and intent was to kill humans, it is," said Fascitelli.

He said it's important to make sure the wrong people don't have the opportunity to use assault weapons. "Many crimes are committed by angry, disturbed individuals without a criminal record who turn deadly in a moment of rage when they have access to weapons of war, such as these assault weapons," said Fascitelli.

But gun supporters, like Brian Judy of the National Rifle Association, says this ban wouldn't have kept the assault rifle out of the hands of Christopher Monfort, the man charged with killing Seattle Police Officer Timothy Brenton.

"I want to give you a bit of breaking news you probably won't hear in the Washington media. That is that 70 million gun owners didn't break the law today. Millions didn't break the law with firearms that are classified as assault weapons under this bill," said Judy.

He added that trying to define assault weapons won't work.

"You can ban all semi-automatic firearms or you can ban none of them, but if you try to carve out some arbitrary sub-set, what you're going to end up with is a confusing and utterly ineffective nightmare of law and regulation," said Judy.

Sponsors said the bill is similar to the federal assault weapons ban that expired in 2004. It would cover an array of different pistols, shotguns and rifles, including semiautomatic rifles with large ammunition magazines and pistol-grip stocks.

The Aaron Sullivan Public Safety and Police Protection Bill is Senate Bill 6396. The bill was named in honor of 18-year-old Aaron Sullivan, who was shot and killed by a SKS 7.62-caliber rifle in Seattle in July.

That is great! Thank you to everyone who wrote their reps and senators and especially those who made the effort to attend the hearing.

I'm sure we will have to do this again as long as people like Senator Kline are around.

I joined the forum just to let you all know I am ashamed to say it but I just wrote my reps for the fist time on this issue. No more sitting on the sidelines hoping they won't take my rights away.

Great forum btw.:s0155:
Shane

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR