JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I joined the forum just to let you all know I am ashamed to say it but I just wrote my reps for the fist time on this issue. No more sitting on the sidelines hoping they won't take my rights away.

Great forum btw.:s0155:
Shane

Better late than never and thanks for joining the fight. Welcome to NWFA!

so...the ban attempt has failed officially?

Well, it did not make it past the committee but if you read Senator Roach's blog, there is a chance the bill could be "pulled from committee directly to the floor for a vote."

Barring an emergency need to violate the 2nd and 4th amendments, I don't see this bill being pulled to the floor.

so, THIS bill seems to be dead on the floor in a pool of blood. Good.
Two things, though:

first, if I am not mistaken, Senator Kline is up for re-election come November. A concerted effort needs to be mounted to assure this nutjob finds himself amongst the unemployed. Not sure who might have his hat in the ring to unseat him.I don't live up there (his ilk is a good part of why....)

Second, there remain two bills in the House, both the nightmares of my own local Representative Williams. One will "close the gunshow loophole" (a figment of his imagination) by making it a felony to sell any firearm at a gunshow that is later found to have been used in a crime. No limitations or conditions. That makes felons out of innocent citizens, not acceptible.

I believe the other one will limit all transfers of arms in the state of Washngton to those done through a FFL Dealer. Even a gift from Father to Son......
Haven't been able to learn when or where these might get a hearing, or even if they will. I also know Williams supports, in principle, this now-dead bill in the Senate. He's another needs to head down to Employment Security, having found himself out of a job. Haven't yet learned just when he';; be up for election, but I think its this year, as I don't recall him standing for re-election in November of 08. He's just about got me mad enough to see what it takes to run for office myself....... I am planning to try and actually meet with him sometime soon...... give him MY take on his firearms nonsense. I need to study up on his bills a bit, first.So's I can "reason" better.

first, if I am not mistaken, Senator Kline is up for re-election come November.

You are mistaken. However, two other sponsors of the bill are up for re-election this year.

Sen. Darlene Fairley (D) 32nd District Lake Forest Park will be up for re-election this year

Sen Adam Kline (D) 37th District Seattle will be up for re-election in 2012

Sen Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D) 36th District Seattle will be up for re-election this year

Sen. Joe McDermott (D) 34th District Seattle will be up for re-election in 2012

Two of the four sponsors of this bill will be up for re-election in November of this year. Contact the Washington Republican Party <broken link removed> to find out who will be opposing Fairley and Kohl-Welles and find out what you can do to help.

Senator Hobbs called me tonight at home thanking me for my email and encouraging people to email their reps any time something like this shows up.

I will be voting for the man for certain.

Time to have the NRA Step in and raise **** with Washington State

Well, one of their main guys WAS at that Senate Judiciary Commmittee meeting (a guy with the last name Judy, maybe?) I saw the video of his testimony before the committee. Wish he'd been able to rebut the nutjob Washington Cease Fire after HIS lies and misrepresentations.....

His testimony was great.... he, and Sen Pam Roach, had taken the time to bring the bills author, Kline, out to the Black Diamond range for a session of shooting.... in fact, at that session, the NRA guy actually took the "business" pieces from a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle (the plain jane, wood stock, no protuding parts, stainless barrel, and five round detachable magazine), removed it all from the pretty wooden stock, and reinstalled it into some sort of "black and ugly" stock, thus, in the space of a few mnutes and right before Kline's eyes, transformed it into a "banned assault weapon". He got to fire both "versions".

He reminded him of this, and the "differences", during the hearing... but the guy's such a hardhead he didn't seem to care.

SO.. two more ugly bills in Washington, before the House, both the brainchildren of Brendan Williams, and both aimed at the "gunshow loophole". One will require all sales to be middled by an FFL, the other brings criminal liabliity for any gunshow sold weapon later ending up involved in a crime.

Hmm.. maybe we should pass a law that makes the seller of any motor vehicle later used in some crime (even felony drunk driving ?) liable in the same way. Now THAT would do far more good, as that happens far more often than a gunshow sold weapon being used to stickup the corner 7-11.

Not sure if the NRA will again be involved in that one, haven't even heard if that one's getting a hearing. Hope it doesn't.

Anyone know if Williams will stand for re-election this year? I've looked, but I guess I don't know where, cause I can't find out anything.

FYI Sen. Pam Roach (gun owners only friend during the hearing) been banned from the Senate Republican Caucus by Senate Minority Leader Mike Hewitt, R-Walla Walla and Sen. Linda Evans Parlette, R-Wenatchee, who chairs the Senate Republican Caucus.

FYI Sen. Pam Roach (gun owners only friend during the hearing) been banned from the Senate Republican Caucus by Senate Minority Leader Mike Hewitt, R-Walla Walla and Sen. Linda Evans Parlette, R-Wenatchee, who chairs the Senate Republican Caucus.

Interesting Are either Hewitt or Evans up for reelection this year? If so, it might behoove those in their districts to find out why, and if for some wierd reason, work to unseat them.

I wonder, was there any reason given for this banishment? Did she do something wrong, or are they just not happy with her actually representing her consitituents? Did this come before, or after, her work on that committee on the AWB hearing?

Apparently Sen. Roach is paying attention...because she's angry......and maybe the State GOP would rather play internal political games rather than make sure our inalienable rights are protected. If more Senators from the GOP had actually attended the hearing as a sign a solidarity with we gun owners then perhaps I would not find this so disheartening.
<broken link removed>

I just found about this forum, And will try to keep up with the stuff going on.
I did call my senator, because of emails I received from friends.
please bear with me as I don't have the eloquence of some when it comes to
the written word

there were lots of things that I had issues with when I read the bill, but
2 things really enraged me.

1. the search
2. the statement that an "assault rifle" could easily be converted to fully
automatic

the search, because of the flagrant violation of our constitutional rights

easily converted to full auto? I have the equipment for Rape, does that mean
I will become a rapist? I brew, does that mean I am going to be giving
alcohol to every juvenile in sight? NO!

I've never really been very political, but this has pushed me over the edge.
I was never an NRA member, because I thought they went a little far.
but as soon as I get some cash I will be joining.

I am really tired of others trying to control what I have, or what I can do.
because it doesn't agree with them, or their religion.

and to think . . . I was looking at a 10\22 for my 8yo. well time to start a home grown terrorist

Apparently Sen. Roach is paying attention...because she's angry......and maybe the State GOP would rather play internal political games rather than make sure our inalienable rights are protected. If more Senators from the GOP had actually attended the hearing as a sign a solidarity with we gun owners then perhaps I would not find this so disheartening.
<broken link removed>

She did appear to be the only Senator that really "gave a bubblegum" against the Assault Weapon bill. I guess if she can't control her temper she may have to learn the hard way. I still plan to contribute to her re-election. It's good to have pitbulls on your side.:s0155:

She's always been a bit of a "maverick" with a not-so-tight grip on her temper. While that's not such a bad thing in all cases it is something that she should try to get a handle on if she hopes to have a wider impact than just her core group of supporters (of which I consider myself one).

And I believe it was unrelated specifically to the subject of this thread. Though the timing was a bit unfortunate.

I thought I typed this out already, but apparently I didn't put it here in this particular thread.

I got a call last Friday night around 8pm. I was upstairs so my wife took the call (I was in the middle of MW2 online anyway.) My wife hands me the phone (agitated that I'd been so delayed) and I take up the conversation.

Senator Hobbs (my district senator) was on the phone calling to thank me for raising this issue as a concerned citizen. He reiterated his commitment to protect anything that comes close to infringing on 2nd Amendment rights (although in this case the invasion of privacy was far more concerning to me) and wanted to encourage anyone in our district, regardless of issue, to feel comfortable and empowered to reach out to him.

Anyone that takes the time to call me - when I never called them - and reiterate a position I felt they made in other communications gets a big thumbs up. A super nice guy and I was very appreciative (although a bit taken aback.)

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads