JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just received my latest NRA magazine. Usually I flip through the blah-blah and read over the old school firearms articles. A couple of which I have owned and a few I have actually deployed and shot. This month's mag was different as it contained an article this old 45acp guy had to read. It was as captioned above "The Rise of the 9mm" 1911. Fascinating IMHO. 'Splained a whole gooberload of stuff. I had to laugh as I read it as I myself am picking up a new-to-me 1911 9mm tomorrow :eek: I have purchased one here from a fellow forum member and tomorrow's THE DAY! Only two main small arms calibers in our house 45acp and 9mm. The addition of another caliber for my beloved 1911 platform seemed like a no brainer 'specially since I had been drooling over a particular 1911 9mm platform for months now and couldn't find one. Daddgum Rona and the frenzied sale of all things firearm. Yep, tomorrow's the big day at TickLickers. Heading for my 3rd cup o'joe now. Wishing everyone on our forum and all their families and friends the very Merriest of Christmases. Here's wishes also for a better 2021. 2020 has mostly been a bubblegummer deluxe. Pops

Several decades ago, I passed on a Series 70 in 9mm at a reasonable price. As a form of compensation for an opportunity missed, several years ago I bought one of the modern blued 9mm's with the "pencil" barrel. Which I've been happy with.

Just received my latest NRA magazine. Usually I flip through the blah-blah and read over the old school firearms articles. A couple of which I have owned and a few I have actually deployed and shot. This month's mag was different as it contained an article this old 45acp guy had to read. It was as captioned above "The Rise of the 9mm" 1911. Fascinating IMHO. 'Splained a whole gooberload of stuff. I had to laugh as I read it as I myself am picking up a new-to-me 1911 9mm tomorrow :eek: I have purchased one here from a fellow forum member and tomorrow's THE DAY! Only two main small arms calibers in our house 45acp and 9mm. The addition of another caliber for my beloved 1911 platform seemed like a no brainer 'specially since I had been drooling over a particular 1911 9mm platform for months now and couldn't find one. Daddgum Rona and the frenzied sale of all things firearm. Yep, tomorrow's the big day at TickLickers. Heading for my 3rd cup o'joe now. Wishing everyone on our forum and all their families and friends the very Merriest of Christmases. Here's wishes also for a better 2021. 2020 has mostly been a bubblegummer deluxe. Pops
Didn't say what you were getting.
I have a Springfield EMP 9mm.
Love it

But I like that Kimber that's on the cover.
10mm.
PXL_20201225_173903763.MP.jpg

I have a Para Expert 1911 in 9mm. It almost made it into the "Most Embarrassing Guns You Own" thread only because of the stigma placed on it by other people... l personally love the thing. The weight eats up light recoiling 9mm like PacMan and the ergonomics are pure JMB.

That all said, it's a range/plinking gun only... not something l consider a serious defensive or carry weapon, at least not as long as l have other, better suited guns available. It COULD be, if necessary, but let's be real... l get more capacity out of most of my compacts and subs and the Para9 remains mostly a range toy.

It wasn't something l went looking for... I bought the thing a few yrs ago during a Black Friday sale AND a $100 rebate program. Got it for about the price of a used M&P or Shield. It's become one of my favorite shooters and a great tool for indoctrinating new shooters to the platform before moving on to 45acp.

Last Edited:
Good article...had two 1911s in 9mm over the years, a DW Valor Gov model and an EB bobtail LW, and really enjoyed them! Super soft shooters!

Just received my latest NRA magazine.... Pops

Thanks for the heads up. Will get my copy and flip through while the roast is going later today :)

I picked up a Springfield EMP 9 Compact a couple of months ago. Amazing trigger. Great shooter. The 3-inch bull, match barrel really helps reduce muzzle flip. I shoot it as well as my Sig P239 and that barrel is an inch longer. I upgraded the cocolobo grips with G10s from Stoner. Great feel.

I really enjoy shooting the EMP. Just wish 9mm ammo prices were back at historic lows :cool:

1608920599952.jpeg

Really wanting to end up with any of the new Ronin line from Springfield armory
Been wanting a Ronin Operator since it was first announced. Terrible timing. The launch sales intersected with panic sales and here l am, a year later, with no Ronin.
I want a full-size (Gov't Model) in .45 but they're ALL unobtainium at this point. Beautiful gun. So drool-y
SA-Ronin-Operator-770.jpg

Dragging my feet on new releases is my personal policy. Allows for first run recalls, and outright flops to run their course. Also, occasionally ,the manufacturer holds a couple variations in reserve for whatever reason .
That's how I ended up with the .410 version of mossberg's shockwave. Never heard about prior to finding on at East county guns. Bought on the spot.

Dragging my feet on new releases is my personal policy. Allows for first run recalls, and outright flops to run their course.
I agree with this 100%. That particular policy is what kept me from a P320 and, later, a P365... both guns l wanted but decided to hold off on buying. Also saved me from the Springfield XDS recall debacle.

The SA Ronin is largely a cosmetic redo of the proven SA Operator line... if they haven't worked the bugs out by now there's little hope of them ever getting it right.

I've been singing he praises of the 9mm 1911 since before it was all the current rate, probably 15+ years...the full sized all steel variant in particular. They are just flat out fun to shoot, especially at speed. They do take a bit more attention in the recoil spring and magazine dept as they can be a bit more sensitive (really light 115 gr. range stuff might not have enough 'ump' to fully cycle the slide if you're using standard or slightly heavier recoil springs). With standard range stuff, they're just a bit more recoil than a .22 and would make a good 'step up' training pistol. And as we all know, the 1911 is tunable in sooo many good ways.

With modern JHP's closing the performance gap, a very viable choice...plus you get another 1-2 in the mag. And once we get back to reality on ammo prices, your practice-dollars go farther with 9mm.

Not much not to love.:)

Boss

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews