JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My personal belief is that there are no magic bullets. spend the bulk of your time working on accuracy.
Right here! ^^^
I practice by shooting at a rolling freon can (about 2/3 the size of a 5 gallon propane tank) with my 3" Model 60, double action with 357 rounds. Distance 15-25 yards.

Shooting Times ran a .357 "shootout" back in the mid-70's between a Python, a Security Six, and a Smith (all of comparable frame size, with 6" barrels).

The Security Six prevailed: most notably in the accuracy department and against a Python.

My Ruger (purchased shortly after reading that article) dumped a Whitetail buck racing by at 50 yards with a 140g Speer Hollowpoint handload.
That gun has been to Alaska 5 times with me, and dropped a wounded Caribou like a lightning bolt. I never felt "skeered" navigating Bear-friendly willow thickets.

Along the way, I scoped an 8" Trooper MKIII and busted a nice Antelope buck at 110 yards. The cartridge is certainly a reliable killer.

1701632952972.png

For Elmer Keith, it was to get deep penetration on the large animals he hunted with it.

One of his 38 Special loads was a 170gr over 13.5 gr of 2400, which is a Magnum load.

Am sure he most likely toasted off a few revolvers with his experimenting.

For Elmer Keith, it was to get deep penetration on the large animals he hunted with it.

One of his 38 Special loads was a 170gr over 13.5 gr of 2400, which is a Magnum load.

Am sure he most likely toasted off a few revolvers with his experimenting.
I'm guessing Elmer wasn't using old 38 sp balloon rim case's. :s0001:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads