JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I run a junk removal company and we come across all sorts of different materials on the job and, well, the topic above suggests what I keep an eye out for.

Recently I compared the relative rigidity of Lexan vs. Plexiglass in 1/2" thick sheets (need at least 1" considering the smallest caliber I have is .38 Spl).

I have various examples of aluminums, mild steel, and tool steel.

We were recently asked to remove about 50lbs of silicone construction adhesive...

Now, the product we removed is no good anymore, but I went and bought some more because all I can find online for bullets and silicone is a long-debunked myth about breast implants saving someone's life in a robbery.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this before. I'm curing the silicone now, a layer at a time, but it's still pretty thick. Is 2 weeks long enough to cure just under an inch of silicone? And most importantly, is it gonna catch any rounds? I have it curing in a small bread pan 9"×4.5"×2" (meaning I will add another 1" layer of silicone once this first one cures).

The rounds I have to shoot with:
.38 spl.
9mm
45ACP
300 Win Mag
12 Gauge
*I can get a .22 if I need to, but I'd like to be catching centerfire rounds if I can.

I don't think you're gonna catch anything at all, not even a .22

2" of soft material isn't much so I'll be honest and say I think you're wasting your time, however I'm curious in the results nonetheless

I don't think you're gonna catch anything at all, not even a .22

2" of soft material isn't much so I'll be honest and say I think you're wasting your time, however I'm curious in the results nonetheless
Thanks. The 2" would be the height I would be shooting into. I would have about 9" of depth, assuming the bullet doesn't just go in and out a corner or something.

I agree I should be using a larger quantity, but at this point I don't even know if I'll be able to cure the amount I have properly

If you're looking for a cheap 22 trap... I just compress rubber mulch from the adult playground (Home Depot) into a cardboard box. The one I have now is about a 20"x20" square. I occassionally duct tape another layer of cardboard over the front when the orginal box starts getting shot out. When it get's realy bad you just grab another box and transfer the mulch to the new box. A bag of rubber mulch is something like 7 bucks(?) IIRC. I don't remember how many bags are in my current trap though. 2 or 3 or 2 and a partial?

If you had similar material and the means to mulch it yourself for free... all the better.

I don't make a habit of it, but for testing purposes, it did catch the 6rds of .223 I put into it. I mainly started doing that for large bore PCP rifles, but found they catch .22lr quite nicely, too. YMMV

I've never tried silicone like you describe, but a little trial and error is a fantastic teacher.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews